XM antenna for NAV III - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2009, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

XM antenna for NAV III

Hi all,

I currently have a BMW NAV III and like it very much. Garmin has told me that it is nearly the same as the Street Pilot 2820. I asked about connecting it to the Garmin GXM 30 antenna to pick up XM and they said it would work.

I'm not so sure. Has anyone tried this combo? Should I look for a Garmin 2820 for this project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Re: XM antenna for NAV III

The BMW Nav III cannot be used with the Garmin XM radio/antenna. The Garmin 2820 can. Conversely, the 2820 will fit in and function in the BMW cradle but the cradle buttons are inoperable with the 2820.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 11:26 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The BMW Nav III and the 2820 are the same unit. Unfortunately they are completely different (are you following me). The BMW units (all of them) are about a year behind the regular units of software upgrades, features and dealer locations.

You can not use the XM with any BMW unit. After learning the hard way I would suggest not buying the BMW branded units. They are also over priced. You can download the dealer locations from the internet and they are always up to date.

my .02

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 3:41 am

I don't know about the Nav III, but the BMW Zumo will support a XM antenna once you do the software update from Garmin. I first heard about it hereIron Horse Motorcycles . Scroll down the page.
I've posted this question on the forum and have received several replies from members that have done so.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 7:12 pm

BMW Zumo 550 with the software update will now let you use the XM function provided you buy the antenna

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

- Einstein
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigphoto
BMW Zumo 550 with the software update will now let you use the XM function provided you buy the antenna
Is this something u have and that works because I was just at the dealership today having my bike serviced etc and steve said it worked but pat called garmin and bmw they said it didnt. I am trying to figure out what to put on my 07 and ur so close we can talk easy and should prob take a ride im in chesterfield.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: XM antenna for NAV III

Deshooter,

I would NEVER buy another BMW branded Garmin. Garmin branded units have all of the features including XM w/antenna for sure. BMW branded Garmin just cost more.

I have a NAV III and its counter part StreetPilot 8720. The 8720 has the XM capability w/antenna. Other wise it is exactly the same, but costs less.

The only thing you get with the BMW unit is the mount with buttons. I do not miss them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in