Looking for a low end GPS and need some advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 3:48 am Thread Starter

Looking for a low end GPS and need some advice

I am just getting in to motorcycle touring and I have had my Bike since July (R1150RT) I live in california and I am doing small trips every other weekend.(working on my riding skills and building up my distance)
I would like to get a GPS but I have no idea of what I need.
I plan to do freeways when I have to, but I would like to find the smaller -more interesting side roads when possible. nothing off road.

I would like one of the large screen models that can transfer from my bike to my truck.

I would want to plug the GPS into a power outlet

I would like to have the GPS record my ride stats- time, speed, time stopped ....and that sort of thing

I guess I could live with limited point routing features. and just reprogram as I go.

I need something basic and easy to operate. I don't want a bunch of features I will not use.

and it probably should be water proof

as I said above, I am new to this and I have no idea of what I should look at or what to avoid

I have a budget of $200 for this item

if some one could walk me through the process I would be grateful

jadm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 7:33 am

Re: Looking for a low end GPS and need some advice

It seems there are 2 types of GPS products - Garmin and everyone else. Garmin will have a product that meets all of your needs apart from the price and every one else will have a product that matches your price but few of your wants.

To my mind Garmin have allways designed their products as tools and have the back up to do route planning and selection on your PC then transfer it to your GPS. If that is the level of planning you want to do then it is great.

Everyone else has to use the GPS interface with no option to use a PC. This is ideal for the 'I want to go to ??? now' and after pressing a few (?) buttons the GPS starts issueing instructions. Some models let you set preferences about types of road, travelling speed etc. These units are aimed at the consumer end of the market where pressing a few buttons is the limit of the users skill.

The unit does not have to be waterproof as there are cases available. Most units will give you an ETA - set the destinatiion and meander on your way and when the ETA gets close tt the witching hour for the instructions home.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 9:13 pm

I bought a refurbished Garmin 2730 two years ago at http://www.getfeetwet.com/, cost $225 + shipping and this unit has worked flawlessly.

I have seen 2730 & 2820 models recently at this site going for roughly the same price.

You may want to start there as they run specials on refurbished product from time to time.

Larry

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Garage

The other option is to get a regular "car" garmin. No it is no water proof, shock proof or motorcycle proof but.... Craigslist is full of cheap easily accessible ones for very little $$. I've used two so far, and paid less than $60 for each. (the first I blew trying to hardwire) It does what I want it for, and if it jumps off the scooter or gets wet or stolen, no biggie!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 5:44 am Thread Starter

Red face Re: Looking for a low end GPS and need some advice

I finally ordered a Garmin 780 (4.3" screen) last week and it got here today.
I have played with it this evening but I have a question or two

1. the Garmin power cord doesn't plug into the BMW power port
how do I go about solving this (I would prefer not running on the battery if I don't have to.

2. does any source for a "decent" mounting system for mounting
this 780 (4.3" screen) on a R1150RT

can any one solve these problems?

don
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:29 am

Garage

Easy enough to adapt the Garmin connector for use on a BMW. You need a powerlet male connector. Many dealers sell them. One of my favorites is www.easternbeaver.com. Check them out as they offer a lot of possibilities for handling power distribution for your farkles.

On my 1150, I had the dealer add an accessory outlet on the left-hand dash. I had him wire it hot-always on. This was to keep the GPS on when I pulled in for gas. I did not want the GPS to go off and couldn't always remember to tell it to stay on when I turned the bike off. When it goes off, it takes time to restart. The restart usually happens while you are pulling back onto the road.

The GPS current draw is very low and the risk of running the battery down is small, unless you leave it on overnight. Just remember to take it with you when you stop for the day.

The 780 is not designed for M/Cs and is not waterproof. Many riders just use a zip lock bag when riding in the rain.

The 780 also does not have any M/C mounts from Garmin. You can check Ram cycle mounts, www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm for a lot of different mounting options or Touratech, www.touratech-usa.com, who make M/C specific equipment. They're pricey, but receive excellent reviews.

Learn how to use Mapsource, Garmin mapping program to make your own routes and then load them into the 780.

Congrats on the new unit
Ron
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
It seems there are 2 types of GPS products - Garmin and everyone else. Garmin will have a product that meets all of your needs apart from the price and every one else will have a product that matches your price but few of your wants.
. . . .

Everyone else has to use the GPS interface with no option to use a PC. This is ideal for the 'I want to go to ??? now' and after pressing a few (?) buttons the GPS starts issueing instructions. Some models let you set preferences about types of road, travelling speed etc. These units are aimed at the consumer end of the market where pressing a few buttons is the limit of the users skill.

Regards
Not really sure what you are talking about. I have used Tom Tom and Magellan GPS units and they all have the ability to generate an itinerary on your computer and download it to the GPS unit. I buy a low cost unit and replace it about once a year instead of upgrading the maps (lots of new construction in our area with many new streets being added). The cost of the maps and upgrading are essentially the same and there have always been new and improved features for the same cost.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADM
I finally ordered a Garmin 780 (4.3" screen) last week and it got here today.
I have played with it this evening but I have a question or two

1. the Garmin power cord doesn't plug into the BMW power port
how do I go about solving this (I would prefer not running on the battery if I don't have to.

2. does any source for a "decent" mounting system for mounting
this 780 (4.3" screen) on a R1150RT

can any one solve these problems?

don
Try the Powerlet website. They should have a cable made specifically for your Garmin with the appropriate Powerlet plug for your RT. The other option is simply to buy a cigar to Powerlet adapter from them and use the existing cord. They also carry mounting systems by Ram. There are other companies who can do the same thing, but you can get both the power cable and Ram mount from Powerlet.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Garmin Nuvi 550 - Slightly more than $200, about $250.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in