2820 screen hard to see in the daylight! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:27 am Thread Starter

2820 screen hard to see in the daylight!

I recently replaced my StreetPilot III with the 2820 ( I know, some people are slow to change!) and it seems that the screen is much harder to read in the daylight. Could be my eyes, sunglasses or position of the planets, but just curious if it's my imagination?

I did a search and some others have made similar comments, just wondering if you can see any of the newer GPS's any better? I do like the better features of the 2820, it's compact size and haven't tried the XM or Bluetooth yet.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: 2820 screen hard to see in the daylight!

Dan,
I am having the same problem with my 2820 especially with the sun at my back or at an angle to my back. I've installed the little hooded thingy and this helps somewhat when the sun is at a right angle. My Garmin is nearly 2 years old and I have learned to live with it by making a shadow with my hand when required. Not the most favored of methods but it works.......Rob

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

I picked up a sun shade from A&S that works for the most part. Except direct light from behind, all is good. The shade has a metal liner in it. This interferes with reception so an external antennae was then also needed.
You may consider making one or finding something made of plastic. I couldn't believe that the one I bought and is made for a device that needs to pick up a weak signal had any metal in it.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:57 am

You've probably checked this already, but when disconnected from power, sometimes they go back to auto brightness vs. manual at 100%. Auto may not go to maximum screen brightness depending on various situations. I run mine on the manual setting and at 100%. It's the best they can do which regrettably isn't always enough. I also find I need to clean the haze that collects off the screen before nearly every ride; that seems to help, as well. As for the 2820, the XM control head feature and other content access is nice to have -- give it a try!
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the response - The first thing I did was check the brightness and it was at 100%. It was on automatic, but with the early morning sun behind me, the screen was almost blank. Much better though to have the sun behind that in front.

I've used the shades and they help a tiny bit, hand helps a little too! Guess it's just
one of those things!!"

Nice quick re-calculating feature. Old SP III took a lifetime....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Also check the angle you have it mounted. If its angled up even slightly it appears to be less bright. It has a very narrow viewing angle. I put some washers behind the mount's upper screws so it angles it down a bit. Just like turning up the brightness.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Thanks for the response - The first thing I did was check the brightness and it was at 100%. It was on automatic, but with the early morning sun behind me, the screen was almost blank. Much better though to have the sun behind that in front.

I've used the shades and they help a tiny bit, hand helps a little too! Guess it's just
one of those things!!"

Nice quick re-calculating feature. Old SP III took a lifetime....
I upgraded from a SP III to a 2720 last fall. The 2720 is nice in function, but like what you guys are saying, its hard to see in bright daylight from almost any direction. Have the shield too. One thing I can say about the SP III is that you could read the screen anytime....in 2D though.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Also check the angle you have it mounted. If its angled up even slightly it appears to be less bright. It has a very narrow viewing angle. I put some washers behind the mount's upper screws so it angles it down a bit. Just like turning up the brightness.

Agree with Mike, Had to angle mine down a bit too. At the original angle there were times that is was completely unreadable. Bought a sunscreen that helped alot. Got it here:

http://www.glarestomper.com/

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 10th, 2009, 9:33 am

I have learned that the 27**/28** series is almost impossible to view with polarized sun shades. Try it with non-polarized (if you can find any). Also my 2820 is mounted on the stingray, and I do have a shade; however, if I wear a light colored shirt or jacket the reflection on the screen practically washes out the image. Dark clothing works better.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebum
I have learned that the 27**/28** series is almost impossible to view with polarized sun shades. Try it with non-polarized (if you can find any). Also my 2820 is mounted on the stingray, and I do have a shade; however, if I wear a light colored shirt or jacket the reflection on the screen practically washes out the image. Dark clothing works better.
I picked up a pair of non-polarized, dark protection glasses that someone on the forum suggested. $9.97
Does anyone know how to get rid of the early morning fogging (besides wait till it warms up)? Mine's past warranty.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Keep the display clean. that seems to help in reducing the fog on the outside. Same as the helmet visor.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Keep the display clean. that seems to help in reducing the fog on the outside. Same as the helmet visor.
Thanks Dan, but the fogging is on the inside. I know others have returned theirs and received an updated model that doesn't fog...I think. Just wondering if anyone took it on themselves to fix the problem.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #13 of 17 Old Oct 11th, 2009, 9:32 am Thread Starter

sorry!

I did notice on a humid early morning ride, what I thought was fog on the outside and didn't consider that it could be on the inside. The bright sun made the display hard to see to begin with. I'll check it again this Tuesday morning.

If anyone has had it occur on the inside, I'm wondering if it is effecting a group of serial numbers? Maybe if it has happened, list your serial number?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 12th, 2009, 8:57 am

I had the dreaded fog inside my 2720
Garmin said they would replacve it but in the Northwet I'd have the problem again....
said to try this:
Put it in a dry place in the house for a few days and it was months before the fog came back......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 6:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I had the dreaded fog inside my 2720
Garmin said they would replacve it but in the Northwet I'd have the problem again....
said to try this:
Put it in a dry place in the house for a few days and it was months before the fog came back......
Very good suggestion. My routine is to leave it on the bike, in the garage. No very dry there. It's almost always unplugged since I take it off after riding to download the trace and then don't attach the power since I know I'll be downloading a route the next time out.
I think I'll just leave it near the dehumidifier between rides.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #16 of 17 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:53 am
Gold Supporter

Mine did the same thing, hard to see, kinda dull, then coming from Canada i left my GPS 2720 in my k1200r sports tail bag due to heavy rain, my gps was wet inside the tailbag wrapped in a towel, thats when i dicovered a thin white layer substance peeling off the face of my GPS, I phoned Garmin and the said there is no film on the face of there GPS, thats when i realzed what I was dealing with, a build up of old wax from several products over the years, now the screen is like it was when it was new - very easy to read and clear.even in daylite...matthew
Quote:
I recently replaced my StreetPilot III with the 2820 ( I know, some people are slow to change!) and it seems that the screen is much harder to read in the daylight. Could be my eyes, sunglasses or position of the planets, but just curious if it's my imagination?

I did a search and some others have made similar comments, just wondering if you can see any of the newer GPS's any better? I do like the better features of the 2820, it's compact size and haven't tried the XM or Bluetooth yet.
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 3:59 am

Don't know if this might help with drying out the internal fogging. IPODs are the most hydrophillic electronic device known to exist. Apple's support solution to a possible home fix is to bury the soggy POD in a container with uncooked rice. The theory being that the rice will absorb the moisture possibly resurrecting the unit. There are numerous reports on the web where iPODS have been brought back to life using this method.

Might be worth a try???

As far as keeping your non-sealed car unit unit dry in the "driving" rain I found this product which looks sweet. http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It would seem to me that this solution might also allow me to use a GPS on my tiller steered boat to waypoint my crab pots. Just like on The Deadliest Catch!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in