AutoCom /Bluetooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

AutoCom /Bluetooth

This has probably been answered here but I can't find it. I have a 2003 LT with AutoCom. I also have a ZUMO 550. My phone will work my plugging into the autocom directly but there are several shortcomings. I don't really want to anwswer every phone call and dialing out is a little tricky. So I have paired my phone to the Zumo. That seems to work but there is not a connection for voice transmission from my helmet. I read somewhere on the forum about using a mono 2.5mm cord from the zumo to the Autocom. I tried this but it doesn't work. I can hear the caller through my helmet, they just can't hear me plus there is alot of static and interference. Does anybody know how to make this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:04 am

Re: AutoCom /Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaver
This has probably been answered here but I can't find it. I have a 2003 LT with AutoCom. I also have a ZUMO 550. My phone will work my plugging into the autocom directly but there are several shortcomings. I don't really want to anwswer every phone call and dialing out is a little tricky. So I have paired my phone to the Zumo. That seems to work but there is not a connection for voice transmission from my helmet. I read somewhere on the forum about using a mono 2.5mm cord from the zumo to the Autocom. I tried this but it doesn't work. I can hear the caller through my helmet, they just can't hear me plus there is alot of static and interference. Does anybody know how to make this work?
I think what you want is a Bluetooth dongle for the Autocom. Look at "Part 1273 Bluetooth Receiver." You pair your 550 with your phone, and you also pair it with the 1273 which acts as your "headset." There's a setting on the 550 to use the Bluetooth for "Phone Only", which is probably what you want. The end result is that all output from the 550 will go through the usual route (probably a wired part # 1314) but the phone will be Bluetoothed into the system, usually on Aux 1.

It works fine once you get it set. It can be a royal pain to set up, however, because only some phones seem to work. Some work partially, some don't work at all, and some work flawlessly. The only thing I can suggest is what I finally had to do; I rode the bike to the phone store with my wife on the back, and the store agreed to bring out some phones until I found one that I liked and that worked with the system. I'd call my wife's phone, and she'd call me, and eventually we got it working. I never did figure out what it was about some phones that cause them to work or not work, but suspect the Bluetooth version may be involved. Once I had one that worked, I stopped thinking about it and never studied it any further. <g>

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed there is also a part 1276 Bluetooth Receiver which is used with pre-2006 Autocom units. You may have to do some research to find out which model you need.

Last edited by RTrev; Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:15 am.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:33 am

Re: AutoCom /Bluetooth

If you don't want to spend the money on the Autocom bluetooth dongle another choice is an older Motorola bluetooth speaker/microphone, the HF820. These are probably only available on Ebay now. The Motorola adaptor has a 3.5mm headset jack on the side that can be patch corded into the Aux input on the Autocom. This becomes your audio link to the Autocom by pairing the Motorola adapter to your phone via bluetooth, then pair the Zumo to the Motorola adapter to give the "onscreen" readout of what's happening with the phone. Details below are copied from the Zumo forum.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT

I get asked this so much by PM I thought I'd post a final soliution to making this combination work. As most of you know, Autocom's Zumo lead does not work properly (see below).

In order to make the Zumo work properly with an Autocom, you have to split the music from the phone signal. If you don't do that, the Autocom can't handle it.

The Autocom treats music as lowest priority and the phone as highest priority, but the music & phone signal from the Zumo comes combined from the same socket. If you leave the signal combined, then you have to tell the Autocom it's either all music or all phone, which causes problems.

If you say it's all phone (Aux 1) then you only get mono music (Aux 1 even on the latest Autocoms is mono only) and it stays at 100% volume all the time, even when you speak to a pillion or on a bike-bike radio as Aux1 has top priority. If you treat it all as music (aux 2) as Autocom's official lead does, then it will cut the audio to 50% when you are on the phone, so you can't hear the caller and if you use a bike-bike radio, that will take priority over the phone call so the radio will come over the phone call at 100% volume and reduce the phone call to 50% volume.

So, you have to split the music and phone signal from the Zumo and the only way to do that is via Bluetooth.

You must get a Bluetooth headset dongle and plug it into Aux 1 on the Autocom. Then you pair the Zumo to the dongle.

Next you connect the standard 3.5mm music lead from the Zumo to Aux 2 on the Autocom via an isolated music lead. It usually has to be isolated as both the Zumo and the Autocom are bike powered, so other wise you'll get a crackling in the speakers known as ground loop interference.

Wired this way, music is sent to Aux2 and reduced to 50% when you are talking, but the phone calls are sent to Aux1 via Bluetooth and always take priority over everything else at 100% volume - thus it all works perfectly as it should.

The good news is that you donít have to pay Autocom prices for this stuff. Here is a link to a Motorola HF820 dongle on eBay that can be yours including a 12v charger and delivery for under £15. This dongle can easily be connected to your Autocom using the 2.5mm to 3.5mm phone lead they supply with the unit. It'll just plug in and pair with the Zumo, no messing about necessary.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/__Bluetooth-A...0HF820QQ_fxdZ1

You can also use a Sony HBH-200, which also works but is a little harder to find and a few quid more expensive.

And here is a link to getting a cheap isolating music lead for £6.50:

SHORT LINK TO EBAY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in