Zumo 550 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550

Currently Costco has the Zumo 550 with the Midland Blue tooth intercom stereo system on sale for $749.00, my questions are:

1. Is this a great or good deal?
2. Info on 550 say's battery only good for 4 hours, can the unit be hard wired for constant power?
3. Anyone familiar with the Midland Blue tooth stereo system and it's pros and cons?
4. Does the rechargeable battery last the 8 hrs as they claim?
5. Can XM or Sirus be plugged into the 550 or can it be added somehow?

I know this has possible been covered before but as Costco seems to have a deal on them wanted to let other forum users aware of the deal and my questions.

Here is a link that I found reviewing the Midland Bluetoooth system.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../midland-bt-2/

Thanks

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Last edited by robasay; Sep 17th, 2009 at 6:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Re: Zumo 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
Currently Costco has the Zumo 550 with the Midland Blue tooth intercom stereo system on sale for $749.00, my questions are:

1. Is this a great or good deal?
2. Info on 550 say's battery only good for 4 hours, can the unit be hard wired for constant power?
3. Anyone familiar with the Midland Blue tooth stereo system and it's pros and cons?
4. Does the rechargeable battery last the 8 hrs as they claim?
5. Can XM or Sirus be plugged into the 550 or can it be added somehow?

I know this has possible been covered before but as Costco seems to have a deal on them wanted to let other forum users aware of the deal and my questions.

Thanks
I've got a 550 and have it wired straight to the battery. I've never used it's own battery for more than a few minutes, so I don't know how long it will last. I use XM, it's built into the 550, just add an XM antenne and pay for the service. Below are pictures of my setup, including a picture of the antenna and a screen shot of the XM interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	24605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	24606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	930.2 KB
ID:	24607  

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor

Last edited by dkjkwood; Sep 17th, 2009 at 5:19 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjkwood
I've got a 550 and have it wired straight to the battery. I've never used it's own battery for more than a few minutes, so I don't know how long it will last. I use XM, it's built into the 550, just add an XM antenne and pay for the service. Below are pictures of my setup, including a picture of the antenna and a screen shot of the XM interface.

One question answered, so how do you listen to the music/GPS directions/answer the phone, etc.etc.etc.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 18th, 2009, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
One question answered, so how do you listen to the music/GPS directions/answer the phone, etc.etc.etc.
The 550 mutes the music or phone when it needs to pass driving instructions. I don't have the blue tooth working on my bike but in the my car my bluetooth phone connects to the zumo and on incoming calls you are alerted with a tone, a display of the calling party and presents you with a touch button to except or decline the call. After that you just talk at the zumo handsfree until ready to disconnect. On mine when the phone connects to the zumo my telephone directory is loaded into the zumo and available for touch screen selection.

The SAT radio antenna is a bit pricey and I believe the 550 only uses the one. You see it in the one of previous posts above. I believe the 550 is just a remote head and the actual radio is in the antenna device. With that combination the zumo now acts like a SAT radio with a touch screen.

A nice unit but do google zumo 550 and look for a board that deals with it. I don't remember what it is called but you can't miss it. A lot of useful info about the problems folks have had with the 550 and the solutions and work arounds.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 18th, 2009, 11:51 am

Might want to price shop a little; lots of online GPS outlets such as www.getfeetwet.com.

For tons of information on the Zumo and on communication options I highly recommend www.zumoforums.com.

The Zumo comes with hardwire cable for the motorcycle mount. I have only used mine off the bike for maybe an hour at a time so can't comment on actual battery life.

As others said the Zumo has XM interface built in, you add the receiver/antenna and the subscription. No Sirius units match up but I think you can get former Sirius channels in certain XM Radio plans, if you just gotta hear Howard Stern.

Some riders prefer the 550, others the newer 660. No XM on the latter though. Keep in mind that you can also get the satelline radio receiver of your choice and pipe it into your intercom or sound system if the 550/XM Radio combo does not suit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in