Not so happy with Zumo 660 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Not so happy with Zumo 660

Well, I bought me a brand new Zumo 660 before my trip to CCR, and had a chance to give it a good work-out. While it has some very good qualities, as Randy points out in his excellent review, there are a few things that really bug me. In fact, they bug me so much that my brand new Zumo (a month old) is likely to be up for sale shortly...as soon as I have the dealer take the wiring back OFF the LT.

Anyway, here are my gripes, in order of importance:

1. No city names shown - when it's navigating, it doesn't show upcoming towns/cities, even the ones you're going through - just the road. This really ticks me off! I can't believe I paid this much more to get this much LESS information.

2. No map scale - I really like to see if I'm looking at a .5 mile vs. 25 mile scale. Same gripe! Why take information AWAY that was/is on their cheaper Nuvi line?!

3. No XM radio or FM transmitter.
- My old 376C has the first two plus XM, and is waterproof like the 660. Of course, it's bulkier, too, which was why I thought I'd "upgrade" to the 660.
- My Nuvi 770 has the first two plus FM transmitter and is thinner with the same screen size as the 660 (but isn't waterproof, which means I have to grab and stick it in my tank bag when it starts to rain, so that's why I thought I'd "upgrade" from it to the 660).

I thought the Zumo 660 would be the best of both worlds. It's not.

Granted, the Zumo 660 has Bluetooth and that gives it cell phone capability, which is cool. But most Bluetooth helmet headsets can sync directly with your cell phone, so that's not necessarily essential, and I think either of my other two GPS units can be turned into Bluetooth transmitters with just a little Bluetooth dongle in their headphone jack.

If anyone knows how my above gripes can be somehow corrected, I'd love to know how (I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm just ignorant and missing something basic). Otherwise, I think I'm going to go backwards in time to older technology...

P.S. One other thing. If you have a Zumo 550 (which I don't), I don't think I'd spend the considerable extra money to upgrade to the 660 unless it has a feature you REALLY want/need. I certainly wouldn't do it for the bigger screen. The main value of a bigger screen (to me at least) is being able to see more of what is around you - what's coming up and what you're passing. If all of the map you see is the line of the road you're on, what do you need a bigger screen for?

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:39 am

Re: Not so happy with Zumo 660

I'll take that 660 off your hands

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:50 am

Did you have the screen set on 2D or 3D? I have the 550 and always keep it on 2D. It will show upcoming towns, streets, POI, anything you want on 2D. You just have to keep udjusting your zoom if you want streets or towns.

I haven't seen a 660 so it just might be different

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 8:26 am
Gold Supporter

I have a 550 and found a lot of useful info on Zumo Forums.
If you are "misssing something basic" you will find the answer there.
Nice folk, just like here.
Jeff

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

I tried 2D, 3D, and all sorts of zoom levels. Oh, and I had it set to show the most detail possible. I've done some research on Zumo forums (research I should have done before spending $799 + s&h), but still come up short.

Don't get me wrong. The 660 is a great GPS in its own right, and if I didn't already have several others, I might be happy with it. But I'm in the unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) position of having two other really good older Garmin units, and I just like some of their features better. I think I just jumped a little too fast when I bought the 660, assuming it would have all the best features of the previous models plus "new" stuff like Bluetooth. Toolman might just get his wish on this one...

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:57 pm

yup. even the 550 offered me so little over my 2820, it was never near the price of admission. The 660, giving up the XM, makes that even less attractive.

When they come out with the 660 form and updates, along with XM, I may be shopping again, but until then...
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 2:59 pm
Just ridin'

I am with you 100% on the lack of a scale on the map showing the zoom level, hopefully they will address it on a future update.

As far as the FM modulator and XM radio are concerned, those were not an issue for me. The FM modulator would allow me to receive navigation speech through my radio, but that remains problematic for me. Only the LT and my cars have a radio, the rest of my motorcycles do not. Also if I use the Zumo FM modulator that does not allow me to mix music and driving directions, leaving a hardwired connection a much better solution. In my car I use the Zumo 660 speaker for driving directions - while I listen to other audio from the car's system.

As I have stated before, Garmin's XM solution is pitiful. Since the XM puck carries the XM ID number, you are forced to move the antenna from vehicle to vehicle, or to have several pucks - all with XM subscription fees. For me I have chosen another route for XM using the pioneer XMP3 radio. I use them with a direct audio connection rather than an FM modulator and the one radio goes from my car to my truck to my motorcycles and even in my pocket when walking.

Two things I really like about the 660 is that the time of day is continuously on screen and the complete selection among all data pints for the lower right and left displays.

With regard to city names, I see them on mine, but they might come in at slightly different zoom levels than on a 760 I used for comparison. The 760 I grabbed belongs to one of my drivers, so it has a ton of local favorites which clutter the screen. Here are some screenshots:

660 - 3D

660 - north up

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 7:09 am

Having now done some research (that I think Bruce now wishes he had done before buying) on the 660, I decided not to buy it from him. Just too darn many bugs and issues at this point and there seems to be no shortage of folks who are disappointed in the new Zumo. You can read more about it here.
Regards, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 8:56 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Yea, I am a little less than thrilled with mine. The audio output died on my 276 and rather than have it repaired I bought the 660.

Thought at first that it was just a matter of getting used to a new format after having the 276 for years, but it's more than that. Along with all of the things that have been mentioned, the phone sync with my Motorola RAZR is haphazard at best. The volume on directions at 100% is barely audible where the 276 with the same Autocom setup was never cranked up over a couple of bars. The fix for this is get in and tweak the audio files or add an external amp. Seems like this should be unnecessary for a unit designed for motorcycles.

I gave all my 276C stuff to a riding buddy so can't go back. At this point I'm hoping that Garmin will fix all of these issues with software upgrades. We'll see.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...The volume on directions at 100% is barely audible where the 276 with the same Autocom setup was never cranked up over a couple of bars. The fix for this is get in and tweak the audio files or add an external amp. Seems like this should be unnecessary for a unit designed for motorcycles...
Jim,

I also thought the volume was low, but since I was using a new headset/helmet, assumed it was my speaker placement. I found that if I put a little something behind the speakers to push them closer to my ears (I actually just used several pairs of earplugs, which are super soft like memory foam), that made all the difference, and now I don't need volume all the way up. I agree that such steps should be unnecessary, but it's a cheaper solution than the external amp!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:48 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Bruce,

I am wearing a Shoei RF1000 and have the speakers pretty well located. The thing I noticed is that the helmet and Autocom set up has stayed constant so the volume out of the Zumo seems to be the issue. My radar detector settings are where they have always been. I'll double check my wiring this weekend, but it is rather simple as all I am doing is plugging the audio out of the Zumo into the port on the Autocom. Maybe I'll pickup an extra male to male adapter just to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #12 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Super Moderator

Forget the 660 - you are being caught by Garmin delivering less for more . . . yes 3D, the speech chip and all the maps loaded are the benefits I still prefer my 376c.

I find it more professional feeling, better screen resolution, better in sunlight, configurable screens - solved the map issue with three 512MB cards and I have a Nuvi for the automobile. Certainly the keyboarding and navigation are more of a pain. However I do spend most of the time riding and not keyboarding!!

I have seen the 660 and reminds me of a Nuvi with waterproofing for a whole bunch of money more!!

My 2 cents!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2009, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

I just listed my Zumo 660 in the classifieds for $599 (that's $200 less than I paid - and that was less than a month ago)...it's still practically new!

As I said before, if I didn't already own two other units, the 660 might serve just fine, so it might work well for someone else...

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #14 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Re: Not so happy - but a LITTLE happier - with Zumo 660

An update to this thread: one of my main complaints - that the Zumo didn't show city names/info in Nav mode - was apparently corrected in a software update (ver. 3.30) on August 24th - just before I left for CCR. I failed to download the update before leaving on the trip, which might account for the difference in city info on Randy's Zumo 660 (based on his screen shots) and mine...I HATE it when problems are caused by my own shortcomings!

Perhaps in the next software update, they'll address my other big peeve - no scale. Apparently that's another complaint a LOT of people have, and - since they fixed the city name omission - perhaps Garmin is listening after all!

Although I still have my Zumo 660 kit for sale (for $599, which is $200 less than it cost), I'm now thinking that I actually wouldn't mind keeping it if it doesn't sell soon...

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

I pimped it a bit over on AVD rider. Someone was looking for a used one.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2009, 7:12 am

You might consider the 550. I am happy with mine. I had a BMW Nav I (Street Pilot III) on my LT, which I loved, until the CPU was unable to keep up with me after 6 years of software updates (just to slow to make the calculations). I use the XM, MP3 and Bluetooth cell phone features on the 550, all of which work perfectly.

The only feature of the SP III that I miss and is not provided by the 550 is the ability to show a list of up coming interstate intersections with distances to them. This was a great feature for LD riding and fuel management. I could see how far it was to future intersections, then select an intersection and display service available at that intersection. I don't know why Garmin decided to eliminate this feature on the 550.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in