BMW Nav IV & LT - Beware - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

BMW Nav IV & LT - Beware

I bought my 2009 LT on August 21. Since the Nav IV had just been announced when I decided on the LT, I negotiated a deal that included the Nav IV. Picked up the Nav last week. Discovered that the Nav cables don't match the LT's. The dealer emailed BMW and the response was: new item, discontinued bike! "The K1200LT is a discontinued motorcycle. Accessory development was stopped some time ago." The response also noted that the Nav IV may not be compatible with the Voice II intercom! They said that the Nav III+ is the last nav system that is plug & play. The dealership says they should be able to get the Nav IV connected to the LT and make it work.

I really like the Nav IV, but we'll see if the dealer can find a cable that will work or if they end up having to splice it in. Either way, some other things you should know (besides the fact that the Nav IV is not plug & play with the LT)...

First off, the cell phone interface will only work if you have a bluetooth headset. The cell phone pairs with the Nav IV and the Nav pairs with the headset. The manual also says that the MP3 player will only work with a BT headset. If the Nav IV is on a motorcycle mount, the only audio provided on the audio out jack is the navigation prompts. Strangely enough, if the Nav IV is on an automotive mount or on no mount (hand-carried?) the audio out jack provides the nav prompts AND cell phone AND MP3.

Bottom line is that I am disappointed that BMW has not provided Nav IV plug & play capability for the LT! I'm not sure at this point where I'll end up with the Nav IV, but hopefully the dealer can make it work effectively. And maybe get at least the MP3 player to output audio to the Voice II intercom!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 9:05 am

Re: BMW Nav IV & LT - Beware

Yep....welcome to the world of ever changing throw away technology!
I have an '07 LT with Nav III, and Voice II com. system.
Now they are going BMW Zumo - throw in your cell phone, radar detector, XM, and now Bluetooth, and you have quite a party trying to make it all work.
Personally, I think that BMW is pretty much leaving it to the aftermarket to sort out. They quit putting in CD changers com systems on LT's for a while, then they started giving away com systems to help sell the last of the new LT's.
Good luck, Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 9:26 pm
SEG

RFHEALY, please keep us posted on what you learn from the dealer regarding the NAV IV and the necessary modifications to get it to mate with the LT and Voice II system. I too have an '09 LT and I was thinking about upgrading from the NAV III to the NAV IV once Garmin started including an integrated satellite radio system. Now after learning about your challenges, I'll certainly wait until a solution is found, or eventually go for an aftermarket model, outside the BMW OEM type equipment. Thanks for posting the info.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
and I was thinking about upgrading from the NAV III to the NAV IV once Garmin started including an integrated satellite radio system.
Info: While the Zumo 550 and the BMW equivalent support XM (via a separate antenna/receiver unit), the BMW NAV IV does NOT have XM support.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Thanks for this

I just bought a lt with Nav IIII and should take delivery next week. I will email the dealer

(Max's) and see what they say.

Tony
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

The LT goes in on Thursday for the 600 mile service. At that point, the dealer will be installing the Voice II and (hopefully) the Nav IV. I'll post the results and what it took to complete the interface to the Voice II.

post #7 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Any update on tis issue?
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have it from a good source that there is at least one engineer at BMW NA that it is his sole task to finish fixing this interface between the Voice II and the NAV IV.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2009, 1:45 am Thread Starter

Re: BMW Nav IV & LT - Beware -> GOOD NEWS

BMW of Denver got the Nav IV installed with no problems at all. The installation was, in fact, plug & play - just not without getting down inside to the radio/intercom harness. Turns out that the connectors on Nav IV harness plugged right into the same connectors that the OEM "nav prep" harness (that was wrapped around the LT's OEM nav mount) connects to underneath the stingray. I.e., you have to remove some tupperware in order to "plug" and "play". The cable that was on the LT when I got it is now in the empty Nav IV box. One of their master techs installed it and checked everything out thoroughly, including making sure the nav audio prompts worked both through the speakers and the intercom.

I haven't yet verified whether the Nav IV MP3 player audio feeds into the Voice II. However, I realized that I was misinterpreting the "Audio Options" chart on page 34 of the owner's manual. The audio jack the manual is talking about is the one on the side of the Nav IV, which is not even accessible when the Nav unit is on the motorcycle mount. It is not talking about the audio interface to the Voice II intercom. I'm now confident that the MP3 audio does go into the Voice II and will be audible in the headsets and bike speakers. I'll update this post when I have checked it out to make sure it works.

The one thing I'm still not sure of is whether you can talk on the cell phone through wired (instead of wireless/bluetooth) headsets while the cell phone is connected to the Nav via bluetooth. I'll try that one as soon as I get headsets, but I'm not really concerned with it one way or the other, since the intercom has a cell phone jack.

I'm just surprised that the Nav IV really is plug & play, but BMW doesn't want to say that. Seems strange to me!

post #10 of 16 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 8:00 pm

What do you mean the LT is a discontinued motorcycle?
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshooter
What do you mean the LT is a discontinued motorcycle?
He means that BMW AG is no longer manufacturing K1200LT motorcycles -- they haven't built one for a while. At some point, the LT replacement will be introduced, and life will go on ...

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
He means that BMW AG is no longer manufacturing K1200LT motorcycles -- they haven't built one for a while. At some point, the LT replacement will be introduced, and life will go on ...
I heard they were going to stop making the K1200LT in 2006 but I just bought a 2009 yesterday. Are you say I bought an obsolete bike and parts will be hard to get or do you think since so many people like them they'll continue this model into 2010 and beyond?
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWK1200LT
I heard they were going to stop making the K1200LT in 2006 but I just bought a 2009 yesterday. Are you say I bought an obsolete bike and parts will be hard to get or do you think since so many people like them they'll continue this model into 2010 and beyond?
Obsolete? No. My wfe has an R75/5 built in 1972. I can still buy parts for it at my dealer. This isn't a "forget it ever existed two years later" kind of company.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 6:29 am

Hello I know this post is old, did you ever prove the Nav iV voice commands work through the LT's speakers? I have an 09 LT with voice II and Nav IV dealer installed and can't seem to get the Nav audio prompts out of the bikes speakers.

Bikes

2009 K1200LT
2007 Ducati Multistrada DP ECU full Arrow
2005 Husqvarna TC250
1998 Harley Davidsion FLHRCIRoad King Classic (sold)
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBMW
Hello I know this post is old, did you ever prove the Nav iV voice commands work through the LT's speakers? I have an 09 LT with voice II and Nav IV dealer installed and can't seem to get the Nav audio prompts out of the bikes speakers.
It's been a while, but my memory is the Voice system is "plugged in" to the LT's audio system *downstream* of the radio amplifier, and has no way to provide audio input to the external speakers -- in other words, voice prompts can never reach the speakers, and are only output to the helmet headset.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:07 am

What is interesting is that I can plug an Ipod into the voice II aux input and output it through the speakers. Which would put the voice up stream of the radio amp. Confusing and frustrating after shelling out the $800 bucks for the Nav.

Bikes

2009 K1200LT
2007 Ducati Multistrada DP ECU full Arrow
2005 Husqvarna TC250
1998 Harley Davidsion FLHRCIRoad King Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in