2610 replacement? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 28th, 2009, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

2610 replacement?

Hello, my 2610 screen just delaminated again and Garmin does not repair them anymore. What is a good replacment, which will mount in the existing 05 mounting bracket. Does it have to be a BMW Motorand to fit the bracket and use the buttons? I have been looking at a 2720. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:10 am

Re: 2610 replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandelf
Hello, my 2610 screen just delaminated again and Garmin does not repair them anymore. What is a good replacment, which will mount in the existing 05 mounting bracket. Does it have to be a BMW Motorand to fit the bracket and use the buttons? I have been looking at a 2720. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks
Not for sale but if you google the Garmin 2720, you can find some refurb units for ~$115 or so. My first (bought new) 2720 fried just after the warranty expired. I replaced it with one of these refurbs and haven't looked back. Works fine for me. Won't be able to use the extra BMW buttons but since I've never had them, I wouldn't know the difference.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: 2610 replacement?

I just got off the phone with Garmin International and the BMW (05 LT) branded Nav II GPSs are "NO LONGER REPAIRABLE." Garmin International "no longer has numbers or parts" for the Nav IIs. This is straight from the tech!

I guess I'm left with trying a 10$ Radio Shack screen protector. But, things could be worse, I could be looking at a $150 BMW screen protector.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 5:42 pm

Re: 2610 replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG37221
Not for sale but if you google the Garmin 2720, you can find some refurb units for ~$115 or so. My first (bought new) 2720 fried just after the warranty expired. I replaced it with one of these refurbs and haven't looked back. Works fine for me. Won't be able to use the extra BMW buttons but since I've never had them, I wouldn't know the difference.
+1, I got a 2720 with Garmin XM puck for just over $200.00. Does everything I need - but no bluetooth. I don't care about the bluetooth, because my com-system is an Autocom Pro-M1, which has no bluetooth.

You can get a 2820 with bluetooth for just a bit more.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: 2610 replacement?

IT LIVES!!!!! Thanks to the person who PMed the screen protector option. I picked one up from Radio Shack for $3.99.

I disassembled (not a big deal) my Nav II, removed the damaged screen protector with canned air (PC cleaning). I then CAREFULLY aligned and applied the new screen protector. I then used a small piece of cardboard as a squeegee to work two small bubbles out. I reassembled the Nav II and gave it a 5 second shot of canned air (It's dry - no condensation), then tightened the case screws and reinserted the 2gb memory card. I then tested it, it worked flawlessly.

On a side note, my Nav II screen started shaking side to side a few days before the screen completely delaminated. Their was three small bubbles behind the screen protector for about a week. So far, no more screen shaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in