New Garmin 660 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:10 am Thread Starter

New Garmin 660

I have a new Zumo 660 for my trip to CCR. David Taylor posted some Garmin Route files on site, Which I downloaded to my desktop.

I also have copied the files (gdb) onto the Micro SD storage card.

The question is, how do I load those saved ride routes to my new GPS.?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:50 am
Super Moderator

Re: New Garmin 660

The GPS should have a Mapsource CD or DVD with it. You install that on your PC and from there you can load files onto the GPS. You can also create routes in that software on your desktop and save them and then load them on the device. You can also take waypoints, routes and tracks you save on th edevice and load them into the Mapsource software on your PC.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Thank you David,

Mapsource was not in the package with my new Zumo, and I felt like I was missing a step of communication between the computer and the GPS. Communicator is the only program that launched after pairing the GPS to the laptop, but I could not find anything in communicator except for a web updater.

I will try this out immediately.

Thank you again.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 8:33 am

You can also use Microsoft's streets and trips software it doesn't cost all that much

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
The GPS should have a Mapsource CD or DVD with it. You install that on your PC and from there you can load files onto the GPS. You can also create routes in that software on your desktop and save them and then load them on the device. You can also take waypoints, routes and tracks you save on th edevice and load them into the Mapsource software on your PC.
David,

Thank you very much MapSource makes it possible to import/export data. I also want to thank you for your contributions of the route databases that you made available on the CCR forum. You have increased my enjoyment while lessening my stress level exponentially.

Your work on these routes will, without a doubt, allow us to see two or three more sites than we would have managed without them.

Sincere thanks,

John

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
You can also use Microsoft's streets and trips software it doesn't cost all that much
Kra961,

I have tried to get my Microsoft Street and Trips to recognize my GPS, but have had no success. How do you get a saved route from MS&T to the GPS. I understand the connection, USB to mini USB on the GPS, but what are the specific directions to get a saved map imported?

I thank you for your assistance.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Sadly I don't have the 660 I have the 550 is there an update for streets and Trips for detection of the 660?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Thank you David,

Mapsource was not in the package with my new Zumo, and I felt like I was missing a step of communication between the computer and the GPS. Communicator is the only program that launched after pairing the GPS to the laptop, but I could not find anything in communicator except for a web updater.
I will try this out immediately. Thank you again. John
You can download the latest version of MapSource from this Garmin site.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2009, 2:00 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Kra961,

I have tried to get my Microsoft Street and Trips to recognize my GPS, but have had no success. How do you get a saved route from MS&T to the GPS. I understand the connection, USB to mini USB on the GPS, but what are the specific directions to get a saved map imported?

I thank you for your assistance.

John
You cannot use MS S&T to export a route file to a Garmin GPS. The only to export route and waypoint information in the correct format for a Garmin is by using apSource. MapSource is a free download from Garmin.

I like the routing and other tools that MS provides, so I usually just create my route in MS S&T then manually enter waypoints into my GPS. Mapsource on the PC works very well and it is very easy to import/export maps, tracks and waypoints with the GPS. If you purchase a NuMaps onetime or lifetime update, you can download Mapsource for your computer and new mapping data. It will install and unlock the new maps on your PC, update the firmware on your GPS and build new mapping data and upload it to the GPS. This works only with certain models of GPS. Visit www.garmin.com/numaps to see if your unit is eligible. While the NuMaps lifetime is not transferable to another unit or owner, it costs less than two individual updates and is good for the life of the unit. You can download fresh mapping data up to four times per year. Amazon sells the Lifetime update for about $95

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in