Garmin .GDB vs. .GPX files - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Garmin .GDB vs. .GPX files

This is probably an elementary question, but is it possible to load GDB files (e.g., the suggested ride routes on the CCR website) into a GPS (in my case, either the Nuvi 770 or Zumo 660)? Or do I need to load the GDB file into Mapsource and then load it into the GPS unit from there?

The manual for the 660 says it can take GPX files, but doesn't mention GDB.

TIA,

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 1:46 pm

Re: Garmin .GDB vs. .GPX files

It is not possible to "load" .gdb files directly into my Garmin device (a StreetPilot), so I would assume this would stand true for Nuvi's and Zumo's as well, but I'm not certain.

For your Zumo, it will accept .gpx files directly. To get a .gpx file onto the Zumo, you can either;
a) hook the Zumo up to your computer, and drag(or copy/paste) the file over or,
b) copy the file to an SD memory card, and insert the card into the Zumo.

For your Nuvi....it seems you're out of luck in directly transfering/loading .gpx files. Because the Nuvi won't allow import of a .gpx file from the devices SD memory card(only from the internal memory), you have no choice but to either copy it to the device internal memory (using your computer), or just use Mapsource (again on your computer) to do the transfer. I found this information here - Garmin Nuvi 660, 670, 760, 770 Tips and Tricks

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Last edited by Toolman; Aug 21st, 2009 at 2:04 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Re: Garmin GDB vs. GPX - CCR Ride Route files

Hmmm...if GPX files can be directly loaded, I wonder why the CCR suggested ride routes weren't provided in GPX format. Presumably because GDB can be read by Mapsource and then downloaded into any Garmin unit, whereas GPX files can only be loaded onto some units(?).

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 7:52 pm

Re: Garmin GDB vs. GPX - CCR Ride Route files

Mapsource can load either GDB or GPX route files. Mapsource can save a route to either GDB or GPX format files. Once you get a route into Mapsource it should load to any GPS that Mapsource supports regardless of the file format that was loaded. Some units just won't allow a direct file transfer to the GPS using the Windows file manager either coping to the GPS internal memory or to a removable memory card. The direct file copy feature and the supported file formats can be different from model to model.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in