BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Zumo 660 or Zumo 550

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Retread 
#1 ·
Which is better for the LT the Zumo 660 or the Zumo 550 ? :bmw:

#5 ·
For more discussion about the differences between the 550 and 660, check out www.zumoforums.com.

When I bought my Zumo I was running an XM SkiFi2 receiver on my bike, using the same unit in the house. I liked the idea of combining the XM function into the GPS and still do. For that reason when the 660 came out, I thought the lack of XM Radio capability made it a step backwards.

On the other side of the coin, I am paying for a second radio subscription but we are seldom using both units at once. Also, I found some of the features (like preset stations) as not as easy to use on the Zumo than they were on the separate receiver.

It does look like Garmin has improved the long term weatherproofing with the 660 although so far I have not had any problems with my 550. I think perhaps the way you mount the unit has something to do with that; mine sits on a BMR shelf so the bike's windshield gives it a lot of protection from rain and wind.

#6 ·
wcarter said:
For more discussion about the differences between the 550 and 660, check out www.zumoforums.com.

When I bought my Zumo I was running an XM SkiFi2 receiver on my bike, using the same unit in the house. I liked the idea of combining the XM function into the GPS and still do. For that reason when the 660 came out, I thought the lack of XM Radio capability made it a step backwards.

On the other side of the coin, I am paying for a second radio subscription but we are seldom using both units at once. Also, I found some of the features (like preset stations) as not as easy to use on the Zumo than they were on the separate receiver.

It does look like Garmin has improved the long term weatherproofing with the 660 although so far I have not had any problems with my 550. I think perhaps the way you mount the unit has something to do with that; mine sits on a BMR shelf so the bike's windshield gives it a lot of protection from rain and wind.
The deal breaker for me with Garmin XM solutions ids the fact that the antenna caries the authorization. If I want to share XM among several vehicles, I either have to move the antenna or maintain multiple subscriptions. The portable XM solutions I have used are less costly than a GXM-30 antenna and move easily from car to truck to bike to home with a single subscription. They will record live XM for replay at a later date. We also find the volume a little easier to control with dedicated volume control buttons. The only downside to the portables is that they are not waterproof, but that is easily remedied with a plastic bag.

I had no waterproofing issues with my Zumo 550 over a coouple of years. The 660 has been fine as well.

#7 ·
I have a question for you guys that have the 660. Can you play MP3's via the internal speaker when the unit is on Battery power. On the 550 you can only play music, audio books and such when the unit is in a powered mount. It would be nice from time to time to be able to carry the unit into a motel room and use its playback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.