So does anyone have the new BMW GPS IV? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

So does anyone have the new BMW GPS IV?

Just saw this and wondered if anyone has one yet..

GPS IV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Re: So does anyone have the new BMW GPS IV?

Other than the fact that it has the BMW dealer database and the BMW logo on it, why would anyone purchase it for more than the Garmin Zumo 660 which it is based on.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Other than the fact that it has the BMW dealer database and the BMW logo on it, why would anyone purchase it for more than the Garmin Zumo 660 which it is based on.
Primary reasons:

1. The BMW-specific cradle, with its hard buttons (I'm NOT going to defend or attack the worth of the cradle -- everyone should accept that for some it is a worthwhile accessory, and for some it is not -- I don't believe in questioning or belittling someone else's choice to get an accessory just because I wouldn't buy it).

2. True plug-n-play mounting and wiring to the bike -- for some, having a BMW-designed and finished wirng harness and mounting system means no-hassle installation (e.g., not having to figure out how to wire in, cobble together cable connectors and/or chase down RF noise issues).

3. Having the BMW dealer database is not required (if one wants to invest the time/effort to find and install and update alternative dealer listings, the BMW-sourced info isn't needed). That said, the one time I needed it I was grateful it was there in my Nav I (before alternative dealer lists were available) when my first FD died outside St. Louis on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend).

4. Having BMW warranty and support -- while BMW/Garmin are slow in getting updates out, my experience is that they have always been rock-solid.

5. While a minor issue, some of us feel that having all BMW accessories can help with resale, as well as preserving a "factory" look (yeah, I'm one of them -- when I installed a set of Phoenix switches this weekend for my garage door opener and future farkle, I cannablized an old run of BMW wiring harness to have a BMW-factory wiring harness sheath running from the switch cluster down into the tupperware )

FWIW, while I have been known to be somewhat handy with a soldering iron, right now I do not begin to have the time to research and figure out how to hook up a 660 to my RT and the J&M CB/intercom. Given the pitifully small amount of spare time I have at the moment, the convenience of a complete plug-n-play system that I know will go in easy and be instantly compatible with my existing intercom and bike harness *more* than justifies the additional cost -- to me. I intend to be one of the first in line at my dealer for the Nav IV package.

I fully recognize that the package BMW offers does not represent a good value to many folks who are not in the same position as I am; on the other hand, remember that just because you may not have a use for the BMW-specific features at BMW's price point, that doesn't mean that others are of diminished mental capacity for being willing to fork over the cash for a solution that meets their needs/circumstances.

$0.02 deposited.

p.s.: Steve, the "you" above isn't speifically "you" and I don't think you were putting anyone down -- I'm just addressing those that feel compelled to belittle others for choices they wouldn't make, before the unthoughtful posts start arriving.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Go ahead Money Bags. I can't afford to upgrade from my old SP III right now. If I had a newer LT with the current mount installed like they always are, it would make mounting any of the current Garmin MC (inlcuding the BMW) GPS easier to mount. I just wouldn't spend the extra money to get BMW badged unit, because if I sold the bike, it wouldn't be going with it.

And I understand where your coming from. No biggie!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:14 am

Wink Re: So does anyone have the new BMW GPS IV?

Hi Mark:

I respect your response - it reflected sound judgment and common sense authority.

Thanks,
Gary Bowler - New York City

Gary Bowler
2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
70 West 93rd St., #30E
New York, NY 10025-0012
(212) 222-6433

post #6 of 12 Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:55 am

I am wondering if the power cable is BMW specific? Looks like a BMW branded zumo 660 but unless I am wrong it isnt that much more than the Garmin, Unless that price didnt include the cradle and cables etc. I have a Nuvi 500 and would not mind using it unless mounting and wiring becomes painful.

JJ
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 9:27 am

Never mind the cost of BMW GPS, I'm wondering why the price of the Zumo 550 hasn't dropped. GPS prices are going down rapidly, but NOT those for motorcycles.

And no one yet has really got these things exactly right for a bike. The 550 has big issues with bluetooth from what I've read - one vendor is offering a 'fix' that costs almost $200 in addition to the cost of their system. I figure to put a 550 on my bike and make it work with XM, bluetooth, etc. would cost me around $1200.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 9:27 pm

When comparing costs, note that the BMW Nav IV does NOT include a car kit/auto mount. The Garmin 660 DOES include the car kit AND the motorcycle mount.

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Follow-up from my "I'm gonna buy one" post above --

I'm in the process of installing the NAV IV. Hit a snag with integrating with BMW's CB/Intercom unit -- the two BMW mount connectors do not correspond to any of the BMW CB/Intercom connectors. My parts manager is off to pursue the issue with BMWNA.

In the course of this bit of "fun," I'm starting to wonder whether the NAV IV has stereo output. There is one connector for connection to the accessory power connector on the bike, and one two-wire connector -- I'm wondering whether the two wire connector is a mono, voice navigation-only line, with no MP3 stereo output. Unlike the 660, the stereo plug on the side of the NAV IV is covered by the cradle on the left. If no stereo out from the NAV IVis available, I'll have to think about switching to a 660, as I was planning on using the GPS as an MP3 source.

More news to come as it develops.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Follow-up from my "I'm gonna buy one" post above --

I'm in the process of installing the NAV IV. Hit a snag with integrating with BMW's CB/Intercom unit -- the two BMW mount connectors do not correspond to any of the BMW CB/Intercom connectors. My parts manager is off to pursue the issue with BMWNA.

In the course of this bit of "fun," I'm starting to wonder whether the NAV IV has stereo output. There is one connector for connection to the accessory power connector on the bike, and one two-wire connector -- I'm wondering whether the two wire connector is a mono, voice navigation-only line, with no MP3 stereo output. Unlike the 660, the stereo plug on the side of the NAV IV is covered by the cradle on the left. If no stereo out from the NAV IVis available, I'll have to think about switching to a 660, as I was planning on using the GPS as an MP3 source.

More news to come as it develops.
Follow-up on the follow- up

I have finally thrown in the towel on the Navigator IV.

While I love the unit itself, BMW's choices for harness connections and disabled software features, and total lack of support for integration with their own intercom unit, are incomprehensible.

When the Nav IV is in the BMW-specific cradle, the audio out jack on the left side of the unit is covered/blocked. No problem thinks I, I'll use the audio out and mic in jacks in the cradle harness -- the Garmin harness has these, and BMW surely would as well, right?

Unbelievably, no -- there is simply no way to get stereo audio (from the Nav IV's built-in MP3 player) out of the unit, nor any way to get an external microphone input (to use with the Nav IV's Bluetooth phone interface) into the unit! Moreover, *after* you buy the unit and get a chance to read the owner's manual, you find that BMW expressly states in the owner's manual that there is no audio out/mic in when the unit is in the cradle -- would have been nice for them to tell you that before you buy the unit!

What on Earth were they thinking?!? My dealer's parts manageer has been excellent in pursuing this with NA and with getting me a variety of connection plugs to experiment with, but no joy.

The other unfathomable issue is there is no provision for plugging in a traffic or XM receiver in the Nav IV (either in the cradle or in the cradle harness) -- yet the same mini-USB connector is already in the 660 harness, which means BMW deliberately decided to eliminate the ability for future plug-ins. I am aware that the 660 does not currently support XM, but at least it has the hardware in place for the future -- I fully expect that like the Nav III, which was originally not capable of receiving XM (due to BMW's exclusivity agreement with Sirius), Garmin will someday issue a firmware update that allows the 660's to use the XM receiver (likely after the currently XM-capable 550 stocks have been sold off ).

So, tomorrow the Nav IV is dropped back at the dealer, and the UPS package with a Zumo 660 arrives on my door-step. Having scooped out the 660 cradle harness connections, it should be plug-n-play with the CB/Intercom harness. I'll post again once I have a final solution in place.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Were you successful?

James Garner
Frisco, TX
BMWMOA #153642
2009 K1200LT
N5OOO
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_garner
Were you successful?
Oops! Forgot to follow-up.

In short, yes. Plug-n-play from the Zumo 660 to the CB/Intercom unit, except for wiring up power -- the Zumo cradle has bare power leads that have to be connected to power. I used a couple connectors from the dealer to make up a short "Y" harness that allows the CB/Intercom and the Zumo cradle to be powered from the same ZFE-controlled accesory plug under the steering head.

I dropped in an 8 GB micro-SD card with mp3's, and have music through the CB/Intercom to my headset. After setting basic volume level in the Zumo, the volume dial on top of the CB/Intercom head unit is always within a couple inches of my left hand.

No problem connecting my iPhone via Bluetooth to the Zumo. Contacts uploaded for dialing from the Zumo, and phone speaker/microphone work.

The only issue is my wife reports quite a bit of bike noise at her end of a phone call, so I have a bit noise filtering to follow-up on. As a related issue, when there is no music playing through the CB/Intercom, there's a bit of alternator whine; when music is playing, I don't notice this (besides, the whine reminds me of my K12's ). I expect to address this with the same filters I'll use to reduce the noise coming over the phone.

Happy to try to answer further Qs.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in