Might be a dumb question? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Might be a dumb question?

Ok so I'm not unexperienced by any means with GPS, having used them in aviation before I used them on land.

I have an original BMW Navigator I on my '02 K12LTE and while slow to route is still serves its puprpose well. But when I turn the unit on, I get greeted with a screen that lists the installed maps which are the southeaster US. I bought the bike used and so far all of our travels are in the SE so no big deal. Now the question. If I leave those areas would I still have basic mapping and use of the GPS? I mean like cities, interstate and major state highways? I can live with it not giving me in residential subdivisions.

While MUCH newer, my wife's TomTom has the U.S. in it. My Lowrance portable aviation unit even has roads & highways for the U.S. in aviation mode and gets more detailed when you switch to land and it's not much newer than than the Nav I.

Thanks!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:26 pm

Re: Might be a dumb question?

I can answer this! (I know you posted this some time ago, but I don't lurk on this forum too often; I could be on this website ALL DAY if I don't limit myself!)

The short answer is NO. Sure there are maps that you can see, however they are not usable for routes / directions. I once (just for kicks) removed the maps from my GPS, popped in an address and went for a ride. While traveling under a highway bridge, the GPS wanted me to turn left onto the interstate (ie, up the embankment!); the on-ramp was a few miles down the road.

If you leave the area that you have maps for, you would need to upload new maps to your GPS unit using Garmin Mapsource. I have the same BMW Motorcycles Navigator and need do the same thing. It takes some time to transfer (read: hours) so don't be in a rush!

If you're taking a long trip, the secret is know which maps you're going to NEED and make sure those maps are in your unit. For example, when I went to MOA National in TN, My GPS would not hold ALL the maps for the entire trip. Since I was taking slab all the way to DC (and I know how to get there), I only included maps west of DC through TN in my GPS. I turned on my GPS in DC and loaded my route to take me the rest of the way. If you still need more, bring your laptop with you and upload maps nightly.

Alternatively, you can purchase a larger data card that you can pop into your GPS that will allow you to store more maps than you currently can.

HTH!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Re: Might be a dumb question?

Time for a new one, my friend.............

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in