Garmin updates. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Garmin updates.

Got this in my inbox and wondering if it sounds like a good deal, or so-so, or???

Touch screen here!! Just kidding - click on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Garmin updates.

Dick,
A friend that has a Zumo550 has taken the lifetime update option. I guess if you wait for the updates that usually come out every 18 months, & pay the $80+ for it, the lifetime update option of I think $118 is really good deal, & you end up with current maps a lot sooner.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I took the option for my Garmin 340 which I use in the cars/truck for navigation in strange far-away lands. We'll be using it in a couple of weeks in a trail vehicle for a six-day Colorado mountain ride.

And then my son is getting the update for his SO's father who's an exterminator in San Marcos, and they'll be testing it against the "error log" Harvey has been maintaining.

I'll provide updates as these tests work out, but my suspicion is that this is a far better deal than the one-time up-dates; if you need them at all, you need them regularly. (My 2003's "Navigator" shows me in open spaces without roads lots of the time out here.)

One caveat: I use SBC as my ISP, and the download took four hours (though it was available immediately once they had my credit card) and then the unzipping and installationtransfer took another two. I was getting an average 150 kps transfer rate. Boring.

Larry Johnson
El Paso

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:59 am

If you're an AMA member you can get it for $89

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 2:51 pm

Intersting, as the maps in my Navigator are getting pretty old. They say 2009, but they think I am riding in a cornfield too much of the time. Well, then again, maybe they are right.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 2:59 pm

I think it's a good deal if you're going to keep the same unit over a long period (and there's no reason not to, unless you really are into the latest bells and whistles).

Harvey (mentioned in a previous post) had noted addresses that didn't work on his original Garmin mapset after a number of years and that he had to research manually to reach his clients in San Marcos.

The update gave him good information.

If one can get regular updates from Garmin for the price (+/-) of a single update and if you keep the same unit in play, it seems a no-brainer.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:28 am

Garmin updates are very large files and take "forever" to download on my home network using a Dell desktop with an XP operating system and Time Warner broadband service. Don't even think about download updates if you've got service slower than mine! When you see the choice for disc or download on the web order form, just pick the disc.

In the future I will do these only by disc- the "half day" it takes to do a download update is ludicrous and ties up available bandwidth for other family users. For "once only" updates, download and disc were the same price- don't know if that's true for the "lifetime updates.

Be nice if the US had decent speed internet like that now routine in several other countries but with the FCC pretty much controlled by business interests and a govt with no clear "public benefit" internet policies to maximize competition, I don't expect this any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in