Zumo GPS question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Question Zumo GPS question

My husband and I just returned from a trip and we both have the ZUMO GPS on each bike. We noticed that when we both went into routing a destination we came up with different routes. We checked all of the route preferences and we appear to be on the same. I would think it would be a preference of some kind, but I do not know where to go. I do have to say the difference in routes is not a BIG change but just enough to drive us crazy. We were communicating back and forth that one or the other of us was taking the wrong route, but in fact the GPS was really directing in that direction. We just need to be on the same page. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help! Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 7:57 am

Re: Zumo GPS question

Since you already have checked the preferances the only thing I can think of is maybe the versions/updates are different. If you don't already know of this site, check here......http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:42 am

I have three different Garmins and they all do that. Don't know why either, same setups. However I can go on to mapquest and build my own route then send it to my GPS. Can you do that with the Zumo? I hope so as I plan to have one some day.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
I have three different Garmins and they all do that. Don't know why either, same setups. However I can go on to mapquest and build my own route then send it to my GPS. Can you do that with the Zumo? I hope so as I plan to have one some day.
Agreed. Both of my Garmins seem to have a mind of their own at times. I can select the same destination from the same starting point and get a different route from day to day.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Agreed. Both of my Garmins seem to have a mind of their own at times. I can select the same destination from the same starting point and get a different route from day to day.
It's just letting you see a different view each day, never travel the same road twice....

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #6 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower

Yes you can capture the route on one and transfer it to the other Zumo. Plus, you can create the route in Mapquest and download it to both Zumos ( the preferred way).

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Do you have the same vehicle type identified to the Zumo? You could be set up as a car on one, and a commercial vehicle on the other. The commercial setting keeps you off gravel roads, IIRC.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 7:54 am

At risk of stating the obvious, if all variables are identical, the routes will be calculated identically. Having said that, there are LOTS and LOTS of variables. Settings, preferences, avoidances, firmware versions, map versions, which detail maps are loaded on the device (this doesn't apply to the Zumo, since it's preloaded with the entire US), and last but certainly not least, your physical location/position and orientation (direction the GPS thinks your facing). Yes, your orientation can make a big difference sometimes. Based on your position and the direction that the GPS thinks you're facing (I say thinks, because it must interpolate/estimate this until you actually move...aferwhich, it will "lock" onto a particular side of the street). So, given your position, and what side of the street the GPS thinks you're on, the algorithms begin their work at determining the best route. In short...if every variable is identical, the route will be identical too. If it's not identical, then something is different between the devices. IT might be something very subtle, but there is a difference in something.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 2:27 pm

Same happens every now and then with the Zümos from a friend an my own. In such cases we follow the instructions of one ... and let the other one recalculate. After a while both will indicate the same route.

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in