GPS, Bluetooth, Baehr, iPod - ARGHH!!!!!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

GPS, Bluetooth, Baehr, iPod - ARGHH!!!!!!!!

I AM STYMIED -

I have a 2003 K1200LT, highly farkelized. I do very few of the mods myself as I would rather ride during the rare "spare" time.

One of the farkles that I do not have, yet still covet, is a GPS. I have spent literally dozens of hours reading about the myriad options available to me and I am nothing but MORE CONFUSED.

I have a Baehr K1200LT audio system, J&M outfitted (wired) helmets, listen to CD changer/FM radio 100% of the time during riding (through the external speakers or the helmet headphones when connected).

I carry an iPhone and would like to have the capability to answer select calls while underway. I do not know if this is possible, as I normally wear gloves that preclude manually actuating the iPhone's touchscreen, nor do I know how to make it accessible while riding. I also would like the opportunity to listen to my iPod on occasion, but have the same questions of controlling the device while controlling the LT.

I readily accept that I am ignorant to the benefits of Bluetooth, or even the applicability thereof, in this instance.

In order of importance my priorities are:
1) Functionality
2) Quality
3) Pricepoint

Can someone please make a recommendation of a GPS, whether it should or should not be Bluetooth enabled, and how I might go about accessing the iPhone and/or iPod while underway?

Sincerely and humbly - The technologically paralyzed neophyte.

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 6:25 pm

Re: GPS, Bluetooth, Baehr, iPod - ARGHH!!!!!!!!

I too have a 2003 LT and listen to FM and/or CD 90% of the time. The wife and I just purchased a Scala Q2 bluetooth (BT) system for the bike. The setup was quite easy and the clamps fit both helmets (Nolan and HJC) without a hitch. The intercom works great. Wife's is paired with her BT cell and worked well on our first 3 day trip with them. I plan on picking up a BT GPS and pairing my cell through the GPS - appears quite simple according to the directions. The system will prioritize components in order of GPS, cell, intercom, ie. when on intercom if cell rings you will be able to answer the cell over the intercom or ignore the cell and it will go to v-mail. I am absolutely no techy and was really wondering if I could handle the setup. Simple, simple. The Q2 was $250 from Amazon for the complete 2 helmet setup including a plug in adapter for an Ipod. Don't know about durability as we just received them last week.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:18 pm

You might want to peruse the Bluetooth and Phones forum at www.zumoforums.com for lots of discussion about different options. Of course the forum deals with the Zumo 550 and 650 units primarily but it will give you a start.

One of the features I like (after using my old phone hardwired to my Autocom with an auto answer) is that incoming calls display caller ID information on my GPS, allowing me to answer or ignore the call.

My biggest problem is remembering to charge my little Bluetooth connector. Yet another thing to keep charged.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Autocom has 2 ways to interface with the zumo gps units (550 or 660) these gps's allow the phone to pair with the zumo and display the incoming call and in some cases also ones outgoing phone book so placing calls is easy. as for interfacing with the zumo one can purchase a 1299 cable (and after modifiying aux 2 by removing a diode) one can talk on the phone via a hard wire connection to the zumo.

Option 2 is with a Blue tooth dongle in aux 1 (which is powered by the autocom) hence no batteries to worry about. Kieth
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 680 a month or so ago with the express intent of using its besides GPS. It has an SD memory card slot for many hours of MP3 music (Freeing up space that the changer is using) and Bluetooth compatible. I haven't implemented a Bluetooth solution yet as the bike and accessories has dragged my secret squirrel fund down to nil. I found this Garmin unit on Amazon as a sealed refurbished unit for $154. Pretty incredible as it sold for about a grand a year and a half ago. The only drawback it it's lack of waterproofedness. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in