Garmin Zumo 660 - a joy to use. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 25th, 2009, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Garmin Zumo 660 - a joy to use.

I just spent a couple of back to back long weekends with the Zumo 660. A short trip to Red River, NM and around that area, followed by a trip to Rapid City this weekend. It is installed on my K1300GT. I will be adding the mount to my R1200GSA and K1200S as well.

Read my full review.

There are a number of improvements to the 660, with Garmin fixing almost every complaint lodged against the 550. The display is big and bright, with more detail, broader choices of data readout and improved data input as compared to the Zumo 550.

The new mount is easier to use and the single cable brings all of the audio and USB connections to a location that can be out of direct weather impact.

The mount also comes with a removable weathertight cover for the electrical contacts.

To me, the function and usefulness of this GPS makes it one of the best upgrades Garmin has ever offered.

I posted a full review on my website.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Randy; May 25th, 2009 at 6:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 26th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: Garmin Zumo 660 - a joy to use.

Thanks. Great description and screen images in your review.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #3 of 9 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Good review. Just wish they weren't so expensive. I already have three garmins. One for each car and I'm using my 60c on my bike, so having trouble spending $600 or so on a new one.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army

post #4 of 9 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:35 pm

And you think the price of electronics is going to go down?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:49 pm

Randy,

You mentioned in your review that you have experience with the Zumo 550 prior to the 660. Do you also have experience with the BMW Navigator III? Your review was excellent in comparing some of the shortcomings of the predecessor, and Garmin's willingness to address them.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions of the 660 as compared to the Nav III, if you have any.

I am interested in adding a GPS to my '03 LT, and already have a Baehr K1200LT communication system and I use hard-wired J&M helmets for communication with pillion rider. I listen to music almost continuously while riding.

Do you use the Bluetooth feature on the 660? If so, where is your microphone and speakers?

I have additional questions, and will continue with this thread as I receive answers and comments to these initial queries.

I thank any and all of you in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 6:40 pm

I see they changed the mount. Good thing - mine (450) cuts out and loses a side while playing music.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm

I bet your waterproof connection cover lacks the feature on my 550 mount. The little weather cap had an "auto-rot" connection that causes the cover to fall off after a few months. Now I don't have to keep up with my cover any more!

When the 660 was announced, I was disappointed to learn that it does not support XM Radio, a feature that was important to me when choosing a GPS.

Since that time, XM merged with Sirius and changed its packages so that now I pay more for a subscription that gives me less features. Things change.

Thanks for the review and the great pix.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:16 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Randy,

You mentioned in your review that you have experience with the Zumo 550 prior to the 660. Do you also have experience with the BMW Navigator III? Your review was excellent in comparing some of the shortcomings of the predecessor, and Garmin's willingness to address them.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions of the 660 as compared to the Nav III, if you have any.

I am interested in adding a GPS to my '03 LT, and already have a Baehr K1200LT communication system and I use hard-wired J&M helmets for communication with pillion rider. I listen to music almost continuously while riding.

Do you use the Bluetooth feature on the 660? If so, where is your microphone and speakers?

I have additional questions, and will continue with this thread as I receive answers and comments to these initial queries.

I thank any and all of you in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

John
I had a Nav III. Several key differences come to mind.

The nav III could have more than two key data points on the main screen, but that really impacts the amount of screen for map display. The resolution on the Nav III was 454X240, the 550 is 320x240 and on the 660 it is 480x272. The screens on the 550 and 660 are noticeably brighter. The touchscreen on the Nav III tended to fail. Both the 550 and 660 are easier to enter data with gloves on. The set of buttons on the Nav III mount are convenient. The processor was so slow on the Nav III that if it decided to recalculate a route, you might pass your next option before it displayed it. The processor is faster on the 550 and incrementally faster on the 660. Both the 550 and 660 have internal batteries, making it easier to take the GPS in to a restaurant and program way points or stops.

I use an Autocom Pro AVi with hardwired speakers and microphone. I use the coiled Autocom headphone wires with the 3.5mm stereo plug near the helmet end. Then I use earbuds plugged into the Autocom cable. The autocom speakers are in my helmet for lower speed riding around town. The earbuds allow me to have great sound and still block about 20-25 db of ambient noise. I can still hear threats, but do not do as much damage to my ears - while getting excellent sound. I don't use Bluetooth for several reasons. Bluetooth batteries still do not have the life to last a 600-800 mile day, require nightly recharging and add bulk and weight to the helmet. I don't care to EVER talk on the phone when I am on the sanctuary that is my motorcycle I do not use voice navigation from the GPS and I use a different solution for music and radio on my bikes - see the end of the last page of my review.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #9 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I bet your waterproof connection cover lacks the feature on my 550 mount. The little weather cap had an "auto-rot" connection that causes the cover to fall off after a few months. Now I don't have to keep up with my cover any more!

When the 660 was announced, I was disappointed to learn that it does not support XM Radio, a feature that was important to me when choosing a GPS.

Since that time, XM merged with Sirius and changed its packages so that now I pay more for a subscription that gives me less features. Things change.

Thanks for the review and the great pix.
As I stated in the review, the Garmin XM solution of encoding the radio ID in the antenna is clumsy and inefficient. With my portable XM radio, I use one sub at the office, in my car, in my truck, on any of my bikes, in my home and while I am outside on walks. At night in my tent, my XMP3 takes recorded XM mp3 files or even XM radio to my earbuds, will run 4-8 hours on a battery and is smaller than my cell phone. I fail to see where a $150 antenna that has to be moved from vehicle to vehicle has ever made Garmin's XM solution particularly attractive. Granted, you have a waterproof XM radio if it is in your GPS, but a plastic bag has served me well through 4 or 5 generations of XM receivers and through some amazing weather.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in