Stupid Question To Follow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Stupid Question To Follow

Picking up my new bike next week. Bike is out of state. I haven't decided exactly which GPS I want, much less find the mount I want, much less get it to the out of state dealer in time for a permanent install. But, I really want a GPS for the ride home, So,

SQ: Is there any reason why, if I find a gps locally that I like, that I cant just plug it into an 12 v accessory socket and do a temporary install using suction cups or velcro like you would in a car???

Am I missing something other than a few screws?

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 1:42 pm

Re: Stupid Question To Follow

If you went with the nav III and advanced cradle all you need is a small hex wrench (don't remember the size). Only takes a couple minutes as the mount is already on the 09

Scott
2009 LT
post #3 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 2:28 pm

The only obstacle to "plug and play" power on a BMW is the Powerlet plug. Running a pigtail from the battery with a standard cigarette plug is a quick and cheap work around.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 2:45 pm

Should work. Just make sure you choose a waterproof GPS Unit.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
SQ: Is there any reason why, if I find a gps locally that I like, that I cant just plug it into an 12 v accessory socket and do a temporary install using suction cups or velcro like you would in a car???
Do yourself a favor and put the GPS in a tank bag instead. If the GPS comes loose in the car, you just stick it back on; if it comes loose on the bike, you're buying a new GPS. The suction mount is meant to go onto glass, not plastic. Velcro might be better, but why take the risk? Assuming your tank bag has a map pocket you should be fine.
post #6 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:44 pm

You won't be able to hear the sound from the 12v adapter/speaker either. So as long as you have to hardwire the sound you might as well do the power and get a bracket to hold it better than a suction cup.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 7 Old May 21st, 2009, 6:19 pm

I found a Tom Tom on Craig's list for $150 and use a Ram Mount with a plug to the accessory outlet. I have an Aqua Box from Ram Mount I can use if it rains but have also used a sandwich bag. I intended this to be a temporary solution 18 months ago but it has been quite satisfactory and I don't plan to spend more until this gives up the ghost. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in