Help installing a Garmin nüvi 680 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Help installing a Garmin nüvi 680

I got a good deal on a Garmin nüvi 680 and am wanting to install it on my LT. Several questions come to mind. How to mount the damn thing securely? I have a co-pilot shelf so I have the space, but the mount seems flimsy for this application. I can screw the suction cup mount to the shelf securely, but where the GPS snaps into the mount seems like it could bounce loose at the first big bump in the road. I may have to try to fabricate something.
Secondly, this particular GPS comes w/ a year's subscription to MSN service for traffic, gas prices etc. Probably not needed but I thought I'd try it. The reciever for the MSN service is mounted in the cigarette lighter plug. I can get a female cigarette lighter plug at radio shack. It should fit under the seat without any problems, although there might be a radio interference problem with the MSN reciever.
Where would a good place to tap into the electrical? I do have the two plugs for the CD changer cable tied under the seat. Also, any ideas on how to rout the wire up to the co-pilot shelf? The PO did have a GPS there previously but removed the wiring.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 9:44 am

Re: Help installing a Garmin nüvi 680

www.ram-mount.com. I just bought one for my nuvi 760 and a cup holder. Delivered and everything for under $75.00. You can't buy the BMW cup holder for less than $150.00. If you want to make it waterproof, look at aquabox on the RAM site. I think it is less than $50.00.

Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 10:56 am

I have been using the suction cup mount on the speedo/tach face plate. It's a flat surface and it only obstructs the upper end of the speedo. I've ridden in 98 deg. temps and never had a problem. Be careful running wire from under the seat, mine scuffed the paint finish from moving around. I ran a female power socket into the tank compartment. Good luck
Mark

Mark
2004 K1200LT(black/silver)

post #4 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMPA
I have been using the suction cup mount on the speedo/tach face plate. It's a flat surface and it only obstructs the upper end of the speedo. I've ridden in 98 deg. temps and never had a problem. Be careful running wire from under the seat, mine scuffed the paint finish from moving around. I ran a female power socket into the tank compartment. Good luck
Mark

Really? I have the co-pilot shelf and can suction cup there but I was concerned about the holding power. Also I am concerned about the physical connection between the Nuvi and the mount. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'd hate to lose the thing on a hard bump. Maybe I need to fashion a tether like the mirrors.
post #5 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:33 am

I fashioned a tether using black zip ties. Really wasn't that noticeable. Vibration killed my nuvi 360 though - not motorcycle reated. Went with the Garmin 2730. Has a mount made for motorcycles, and BMR shelf has the perfect hardware.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm

You do know that the Garmin Nuvi 680 is not waterproof?? You will get water on it if you ride in the rain. I would look for somewhere else to mount it. Any GPS that is not waterproof is not even on my radar for the motorcycle, no matter how cheap or features available. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Yes, I am aware that it is not waterproof. I was originally looking at a waterproof Streetpilot unit, but changed my mind for several reasons.

1) Flexibility. The Nuvi has a battery for portability and can be moved into my other vehicles with ease.
2) Flash memory card slot for playing MP3s (love my music!)
3) Cell phone Bluetooth pass-thru. Don't really plan on yapping on the phone while riding, but then againI never figured I'd stop walking across the living room to change the channels either!

The lack of waterproof-ness could be the killer (literally) but I don't like riding in the rain much anyway. If it happens, it will go in the trunk. Hmmm, wonder if it would direct me to the nearest underpass?
post #8 of 10 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
The lack of waterproof-ness could be the killer (literally) but I don't like riding in the rain much anyway.
Like I said earlier - vibration killed my non-motorcycle rated Nuvi. I went to great lengths to keep mine dry - water isn't the only killer.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 10 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:36 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Why don't you just look ito getting a Zumo. They are very nice units...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #10 of 10 Old May 6th, 2009, 5:44 am

Greetings Family_fun

I have had a NUVI 760 on the '99 for some time now with superb results. I have it RAM mounted from the clutch reservoir cap and powered very discreetly.

Drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you some piccies and a better explanation if you would like.

If the weather ahead begins to look rainy, I simply place the NUVI in my pocket and listen to the roadway directions through the LT's stereo...if I need to of course. Short of that, It's a great unit. I didn't go with the overpriced ZUMO because it is grossly under appointed and doesn't perform anywhere as well as the big NUVI.

Cheers.

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in