great experience at getfeetwet.com-gps purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

great experience at getfeetwet.com-gps purchase

First of all, I have just ordered my gps and I cannot comment on the delivery process from this vendor, so I will update once I receive the gps. I narrowed the selection of a bike GPS down to the Garmin 2820 and Zumo 550, and the TomTom Rider 2. I tried to call Getfeetwet.com, a recommended vendor, but could not immediately get through, so I did the chat option. I got right through to Colin, and he proceeded to methodically and very professionally help me sort out the differences that led me to selecting the 2820 (FWIW the unit is available as a bundle for 345 with the xm radio puck-the Zumo would be a minimum of $700.) The breadth of Colin's knowledge was impressive, and I pushed him for info that very few who don't regularly scan these forums would know (autocom hookup, mounting options, etc.) The pricing of the bundle was probably the lowest in the country, and confirmation was immediate, and they even sent an email of the transcript of the text.

The features of the Garmin 2820 are the most extensive of any gps that I am aware of for the money. The TomTom has the scala headset included, but no chance of the satellite radio hookup, and even though I have both TomTom and Garmin gps, I have found that Garmin tends to be easier to use and better supported.

Hope this proves informative. It turned out that Colin is highly placed in the company, but he assured me that most of their reps have a similar knowledge base.

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Re: great experience at getfeetwet.com-gps purchase

I too had a great experience with Getfeetwet. I went with the Garmin 2730, because I don't need bluetooth (on my '01, my intercom can't handle it, so I didn't care).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:00 am

My experience with getfeetwet.com was equally impressive.

I used their site to get an automated quote on the shipping cost of the Garmin 2820, which was indicated to be $8. When I went to actually purchase the unit, the checkout function put the shipping cost at $15. I went ahead with the purchase anyways because the $215 price for the 2820 still was an excellent deal.

After I completed the purchase, I did email customer service regarding the discrepancy in the shipping cost quote. To my surprise, I got a phone call within an hour from a representative of the vendor, apologizing for the shipping cost misquote. He advised me that when my purchase transaction was confirmed, i.e., the credit card had been verified, they would credit my Visa account with the difference.

The next day, I got another call confirming that the transaction had gone through, that the GPS was being shipped that afternoon and that the promised credit had been issued.

This level of service was amazing, as far as I am concerned. This vendor was very busy: I too, could not get through on the phone. I tried quite a few times. I therefore resorted to ordering over the net. In this day and age, this level of customer service is the exception, not the rule.

As far as I am concerned, I will look first to getfeetwet.com for all of my GPS purchases in the future.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Your last comment brings up an interesting point, a little off topic but what the heck: how many GPS's do you have? I am an early adopter, and have over he course of time purchased...a compact flash gps, a bluetooth gps-both for pda's, a serial gps for laptop, an etrex for geocaching and kayaking, a streetpilot 1, a streetpilot 3, a 550, a tomtom,...I'm probably forgetting one or two as well. Is this some perverse form of conspicuous consumption, or are we just REALLY afraid of having to turn around? I am embarrassed of this post, but I am curious as to the response-am I alone or this the epidemic that leads to the machines taking over?

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Ben,
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean the machines aren't taking over.

I have seen no posts associated with getfeetwet that weren't positive, as was my own experience. If you get through on the phone(I had no trouble Feb, March, I don't know), you can ask for free shipping. I saw several posts to that effect and tried it. Can't hurt to ask, anyway. It worked. Saved a few bucks. I had my FedEx tracking number and was expecting my GPS on the fifth shipping day. On day four, the receptionist called me to say a package had come with my name on it. Didn't think about it being my GPS, but it was. A day early and shipped free. Can't beat that!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 9 Old May 18th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Looks like GetFeetWet.com has run out of the 2820 Bundle. I got the last one today, needed two but they said they may get more from Garmin. Guess I waited too long on the fence.....

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #7 of 9 Old May 19th, 2009, 4:01 pm

I was amazed at how quickly and easily my purchase of the 2820 was with getfeetwet. I live in Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada and it was only three days from the time mI placed the order online to the time FedEx was in my driveway with the delivery. No cross-border delay, (had to pay a little sales tax) and the price was one quarter the quote from my local BMW dealer.

Hall of Fame performance from this vendor.

Scott Davidson

Uxbridge, On, Canada
'05 Graphite K1200
'02 Silver K1200LT - Totalled
post #8 of 9 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:02 am

Excellent. Thanks. My Garmin 2610 I believe has bit the dust. Now I know what to replace it with. Good post.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #9 of 9 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I too had a great experience with Getfeetwet. I went with the Garmin 2730, because I don't need bluetooth (on my '01, my intercom can't handle it, so I didn't care).
I bought the 2730 also, Brian. Have been very happy with it. My new phone ( LG Dare ) won't work with my Voicecom, so I sort of wish I had the 2820 so I could use the bluetooth. Will probably get one of those if/when this one dies. Love the XM puck, though.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in