Garmin 2820 really waterproof? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Garmin 2820 really waterproof?

I just installed mine and wonder about all of the "plugs covered with rubber" on the side of the unit and some not very secure, if it is really as water proof as advertised. The rubber plugs don't fit very tight and it seems that if splashed, could easily get wet.

By the way, a very nice unit compared to the SPIII ! It's nice being a part of the 20th century....... Maybe some day the 21st!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:03 am

Re: Garmin 2820 really waterproof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I just installed mine and wonder about all of the "plugs covered with rubber" on the side of the unit and some not very secure, if it is really as water proof as advertised. The rubber plugs don't fit very tight and it seems that if splashed, could easily get wet. !
I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain and didn't have any problems even with a cable plugged into the sound out port. Having said that, I think the Garmin is also pretty well protected sitting behind the windscreen and fairing (as long as the bike is moving).

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:57 am

Water Resistant...Just like there's no such thing as Bullet Proof Glass. Only Bullet Resistant. That's why it's called BR glass.

Water Proof would probably mean you could immerse it for a period of time or hit it with a firehose. NOT....

I don't think you'll find the word proof on any written documentation..
I could be wrong.

Lawyers.

OH, And they seem to do just fine in the rain...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I just installed mine and wonder about all of the "plugs covered with rubber" on the side of the unit and some not very secure, if it is really as water proof as advertised. The rubber plugs don't fit very tight and it seems that if splashed, could easily get wet.

By the way, a very nice unit compared to the SPIII ! It's nice being a part of the 20th century....... Maybe some day the 21st!
Hey Dan,
I wouldn't take it SCUBA diving on one of your adventures however, I think you'll find it very robust on the LT. I've had mine for a couple of years and been through several of those Florida gully washers without incident.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Not looking to split hairs - Water proof / water resistant, and I really do know the difference!

I was just curious as to how water resistant it really is because of the holes on the side covered with rubber plugs that don't seem to fit very well. My SPIII held up very well in the weather, but it did not have the holes on the side covered with rubber plugs that do not seem to fit very well.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:24 am

Dan,

I had the same concerns regarding my 2730. She is on the BMR shelf pretty well protected. I do what I can to protect her, and at the same time rode back from STC in the rain yesterday using earplugs the whole way home with no issues. Her face was wet with road mist as usual. Her name is Blanch and she provides me with, directions, XM Radio, and an MP3 player. Our relationship remains strong.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:34 am

I have a 2610. The screen fogs up when it gets wet, but I just found this on Garmin's website. Someone posted a link on here a few years ago, that indicated the different ratings/certifications of Garmin's units. I can't find it now, but it didn't rate the 2620 street pilot units with hard drives as certified for motorcycles. Vibration was the issue.

Apparntly Garmin has addressed this issue with newer street pilots.

Question: </SPAN> What happens if my StreetPilot 26xx/27xx gets condensation in the screen?

Answer: Condensation on the screen of your unit.

If you are finding this a problem with your 26/27xx, follow the instructions below:

On the back of the 26/27xx are 4 small breather holes.

If your unit does get moisture behind the screen, we would advise you to put the unit in an airing cupboard over night without covering up these breather holes.

This is done by pushing the mount forward. When the unit is in a motorcycle mount these holes are covered up.

Before you go out on your bike it is advised to move the unit forward in the mount so the breather holes are visible.

This should be done for at least 10-15 minutes. This will acclimatize the unit before use, which stops the unit from getting moisture in the screen.

When you are not using the GPS unit we would also advise you to not cover these holes. This allows the unit to breath.

Vince - 2003 LT.

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Been in some heavy rain, never had a problem. I did take a rubber screw/ bolt cover (??? rubber that fits over exposed bolt threads, etc) and cut the nipple/ head off, slid it over my 3.5mm audio out plug, plug the cable into the garmin, snug the cover up to the garmin for a little extra possible protection.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Actually, it is waterproof and conforms to IEC 529 IPX7 standards which state it is submersible in 1 meter for 30 minutes.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/050106.html

I have a 2730 and have had NO problems with water. I have had some condensation behind the screen on some days, however, but nothing that would keep the unit from working properly.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in