The Future of the GPS Unit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

The Future of the GPS Unit

Being in the market for a new GPS unit, I was looking around at several models and noticed the Zumo 660. It has a lot of features I like but it is lacking a few things. These units are getting better, but I would like to see these units evolve into a complete communications center for one's bike. They have a lot of the capability to do that now as units such as the 660 have Bluetooth connectivity with stereo audio and MP3 players However, I feel that the 660 is lacking in that it does not have XM Radio, AM/FM and the ability to connect to a second Bluetooth device, such as a radar detector. If it had the latter items, which don't seem that hard to add, it would be in effect a whole communications/sound system for your bike. It would be easily moved from one bike to another or locked up securely with no wires or cables to worry about, save for maybe a power cord. The 660 was supposedly biker designed, but I would have added the latter features if I had any say in it. I might go with a 2820 until they start making what I want.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Re: The Future of the GPS Unit

I agree, except first on my wish list is XM NavWeather. Until functionality of this magnitude becomes common, I can not see spending $800 for a GPS that is fundamentally the same as a $250 one. Garmin is taking advantage of us.

I purchased a Nuvi 765 WT and a Ram-Mount Aqua Box. That will do me until the real deal comes out.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
I agree, except first on my wish list is XM NavWeather. Until functionality of this magnitude becomes common, I can not see spending $800 for a GPS that is fundamentally the same as a $250 one. Garmin is taking advantage of us.

I purchased a Nuvi 765 WT and a Ram-Mount Aqua Box. That will do me until the real deal comes out.
The weather feature would be fantastic, but I didn't include in my wish list because the cost of the service through XM last time I checked was ridiculous, something like $100 a month. That would be fine for a commercial pilot or someone who makes his living and needs this service, but for average bike people, that is way out of line.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:05 pm

XM NavWeather is only $10/mo without an XM radio subscription ... or just $4/mo with an XM radio subscription. You do need the additional Garmin GXM30 plugged into the 2820 to get these features however.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 1:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
XM NavWeather is only $10/mo without an XM radio subscription ... or just $4/mo with an XM radio subscription. You do need the additional Garmin GXM30 plugged into the 2820 to get these features however.
I don't think they had the NavWeather last time I checked into this. They had only the WX service which is still $99 a month. I guess it has a lot more data useful to pilots. With the NavWeather, that pricing is in the affordable range, so I'll have to look into it. I looked up the GXM30 and that is what's called a smart antenna and will cost around $200 but I looked up the 2820 on Garmin and the specs don't say that it is NavWeather compatible, only NavTraffic compatible. Does it somehow become that way by adding the GMX30? If so, the thing plugs into a USB port, so how is the unit going to maintain its waterproof qualities with that plugged in? Also both the Zumo 550 and 660 don't have this capability listed either. Why not for such a useful feature? Why don't they freakin build a unit that has it all?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:08 am

The Zumo 550 has a port(s) on the docking cradle for the XM, etc. The XM traffic subscription gives you weather. This is just the basic forcast, but the unit will alert you when riding into severe weather, like the traffic alerts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:26 am

There are two weather services from XM; NavWeather and XM WX. The latter is designed for pilots, captains and storm chasers. The former is a scaled down version tailored for the driver. NavWeather is only available on the 2009 Acura and in the Bushnell Onyx 400 GPS (for hunters and hikers).

I am waiting for this level of functionality to be available in a motorcycle-specific GPS.

Still, my first argument remains; why is a Zumo 660 so much more expensive than a Nuvi? Is it just waterproofing? They share the same software and (as observed) the same hardware.

Garmin is the new Microsoft.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The Zumo 550 has a port(s) on the docking cradle for the XM, etc. The XM traffic subscription gives you weather. This is just the basic forcast, but the unit will alert you when riding into severe weather, like the traffic alerts.
Hearing the weather is helpful, but I seeing it on your gps would be invaluable, and I'll wait until someone comes up with a unit that can do it all.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Garage

To each their own...I'm not knock'n your wish list, but for me when buying a GPS all I want is a GPS... I wouldn't want all those features in one device, Blue Tooth, MP3, XM, etc...when one malfunctions you have send the whole GPS in for fix'n... plus I feel I'm paying extra for features I don't want...Doesn't the Garmin 376C get Doppler radar updates?

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
I don't think they had the NavWeather last time I checked into this. They had only the WX service which is still $99 a month. I guess it has a lot more data useful to pilots. With the NavWeather, that pricing is in the affordable range, so I'll have to look into it. I looked up the GXM30 and that is what's called a smart antenna and will cost around $200 but I looked up the 2820 on Garmin and the specs don't say that it is NavWeather compatible, only NavTraffic compatible. Does it somehow become that way by adding the GMX30? If so, the thing plugs into a USB port, so how is the unit going to maintain its waterproof qualities with that plugged in? Also both the Zumo 550 and 660 don't have this capability listed either. Why not for such a useful feature? Why don't they freakin build a unit that has it all?
I have a 2730, which is a predecessor of the 2820. The GMX30 was included in the price of the 2730. I just checked my XM subscription & according to XM, the 2730 is capable of NavWeather, NavTraffic, XMWX Marine, XMWX Aviator & WMWX Ground.

I have never had any problems with the usb connection & water. The radio is rated to the IEC 529 IPX7 standard for weatherproofing.

According to this page, Zumo 550 does support XM Navtraffic ( click on the specs tab)
The GMX 30 is also listed as an accessory for the unit. When you plug in the GMX 30 & activate the proper subscriptions, you should be able to get XM, XM NavTraffic as well as NavWeather.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=414

Just to be sure, I would contact Garmin as well as XM to make sure the Zumo 550 does indeed have these features. It wouldn't be the first time someone has made a mistake on a website.

I was surprised to find that the Zumo 660 did not support the GXM30, nor was it Navtraffic compatible.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Hearing the weather is helpful, but I seeing it on your gps would be invaluable, and I'll wait until someone comes up with a unit that can do it all.
Oh no, no, no. You get a little picture of the sun if it's sunny, clouds if it's cloudy.... you get the idea.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
I am waiting for this level of functionality to be available in a motorcycle-specific GPS.
Quote:
The Garmin GPSMAP 640 is waterproof and has XM WX satellite weather data or XM NavTraffic information. Apparently, the unit switches between weather and traffic depending on if you use it in Marine mode or Automotive mode. Not both at the same time. It also retails for $1200.

So I'm still waiting, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The Garmin GPSMAP 640 is waterproof and has XM WX satellite weather data or XM NavTraffic information. Apparently, the unit switches between weather and traffic depending on if you use it in Marine mode or Automotive mode. Not both at the same time. It also retails for $1200.

So I'm still waiting, too.
I don't think I'll be using it Marine mode too often unless I get caught in a real downpour. I wouldn't want to pay the extra for that feature, plus the unit also uses the XM WX weather which is $99 a month.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
I have a 2730, which is a predecessor of the 2820. The GMX30 was included in the price of the 2730. I just checked my XM subscription & according to XM, the 2730 is capable of NavWeather, NavTraffic, XMWX Marine, XMWX Aviator & WMWX Ground.
According to the detailed specs document for the 2730 at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...p2730_spec.pdf this unit only has the basic XM weather which is just radio weather. But I still might look at one of these as I could pay a lot more and still not get everything I want. I need something to get me by until Garmin or somebody else starts making the dream unit I'm looking for.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
Doesn't the Garmin 376C get Doppler radar updates?
Yes it does, but it's the WX enabled only which is $99 a month! NavWeather is the way to go as it is much cheaper, but hardly any units have it yet.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in