Garmin 2820 audio out cable question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Garmin 2820 audio out cable question

I'm installing the 2820 and the cable supplied has two connections. Main connection goes to the 2820 for power and there is a SECOND CABLE MARKED 2.5mm MONO HEADSET CONNECTOR.

I want audio to go to my headset, via my AutoComm intercom. How do I make this connection?

My previously installed StreetPilot III had the same size cable output jack 2.5mm that connected directly to my intercom. It seems like I can plug this same cable into my new 2820? If so, why the SECOND CABLE MARKED 2.5mm MONO HEADSET CONNECTOR? In the future I might want to use the XM satellite feature, but for now it is not installed. Cell phone connection is also in the future, but not now. Since the bike is naked, I'm open to suggestions. I've read previous threads, But am still confused, perplexed and scratching my head! HELP !!!! Please.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:31 am

Re: Garmin 2820 audio out cable question

Dano,

I didn't use any supplied cables as my LT had the prewiring for the gps. However, I used a 3.5 mm audio cable (male to male) from the audio out on the side of the unit routed down into the stingray box and plugged it into the audio in on the intercom. Don't know if this helps.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Are you sure it's a 3.5 mm pin? The manual with my 2820 calls it a 2.5mm plug. Same as the power cable's second jack?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:38 am

Hi;
Not sure about the usage of the mono headset cable that you refer to, but there are two audio out jacks on the left side of the 2820. The larger one is 3.5mm stereo out to allow either music from GPS stored MP3 files, or satellite audio out from the GXM30 puck. You use a straight male-to-male 3.5mm audio patch cable to the autocom, or if ground loop feedback from the bike-powered GPS unit is a problem get the Autocom isolated cable part #1314.

If you are interested only in the directional commands then the 2.5 mm mono plug on the left side of the unit is the one to use. Autocom has another 2820 specific cable, the part number is 1298, and it is supposed to combine the directional commands and it has a cellular connection plug as well. In this case a cell conversation will mute the directional commands.

If you want all the audio inputs to go to the Autocom then both the 1314 and 1298 are required and that will require two of the AUX in jacks on the Autocom unit and I'm not sure which cable goes to which jack in order to allow cell priority over the other audio. More tech support is probably available from Autocom, and to further complicate the issue they also offer a BlueTooth input unit to give another connection method for your cell phone.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:40 am Thread Starter

I figured it out.... got too impatient!

I simply connected the audio out cable, that was previously installed from my SP III into the AutoCom, into the second cable (input 2.5mm) and voilà, AUDIO! One less cable to run and she sounds sweet..... I think I'm going to like this 2820.

It is now time to neaten up the scattered wires, put her back together, giver the bike it's annual rinse and polish and off to ride....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStar
Hi;
Not sure about the usage of the mono headset cable that you refer to, but there are two audio out jacks on the left side of the 2820. The larger one is 3.5mm stereo out to allow either music from GPS stored MP3 files, or satellite audio out from the GXM30 puck. You use a straight male-to-male 3.5mm audio patch cable to the autocom, or if ground loop feedback from the bike-powered GPS unit is a problem get the Autocom isolated cable part #1314.

If you are interested only in the directional commands then the 2.5 mm mono plug on the left side of the unit is the one to use. Autocom has another 2820 specific cable, the part number is 1298, and it is supposed to combine the directional commands and it has a cellular connection plug as well. In this case a cell conversation will mute the directional commands.

If you want all the audio inputs to go to the Autocom then both the 1314 and 1298 are required and that will require two of the AUX in jacks on the Autocom unit and I'm not sure which cable goes to which jack in order to allow cell priority over the other audio. More tech support is probably available from Autocom, and to further complicate the issue they also offer a BlueTooth input unit to give another connection method for your cell phone.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
Thanks Steve. That answered my question.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:12 am

FWIW...The 2.5mm jack on the left side of the 2820 is the input for a wired mono microphone for use with a cell phone that is paired via bluetooth to the 2820. My 2820 came with an external microphone that plugs into that jack.

As previously stated, the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the unit provides stereo output from the 2820 stereo music sources.

The motorcycle wiring harness also has a 2.5mm mono jack that provides mono output from the 2820 (which is what I think Dan used to connect his Autocom to the 2820).

Sorry to be repetitive, but I was getting confused with some of the responses. (I hope I didn't add another layer of confusion).

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
FWIW...The 2.5mm jack on the left side of the 2820 is the input for a wired mono microphone for use with a cell phone that is paired via bluetooth to the 2820. My 2820 came with an external microphone that plugs into that jack.

As previously stated, the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the unit provides stereo output from the 2820 stereo music sources.

The motorcycle wiring harness also has a 2.5mm mono jack that provides mono output from the 2820 (which is what I think Dan used to connect his Autocom to the 2820).

Sorry to be repetitive, but I was getting confused with some of the responses. (I hope I didn't add another layer of confusion).
Yep, confused me. I still need to install my 2820 on the bike. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system with the CD player. Currently have a SPIII on the bike.

I see the two ports on the left side. One is the 3.5 mm that is marked audio out as you said and the other 2.5 mm. one is marked for a microphone input as you said. So with the motorcycle wiring harness that I bought, that has a 2.5mm female output jack on it, - can I just reuse the male 2.5mm audio cord from the SPIII and plug it into this female jack on the cord? That way I wouldn't have to run another cord to the com system. All I would have to do is rewire for the power cord. Is this correct? If so, I guess I just un-confused myself!

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Yep, confused me. I still need to install my 2820 on the bike. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system with the CD player. Currently have a SPIII on the bike.

I see the two ports on the left side. One is the 3.5 mm that is marked audio out as you said and the other 2.5 mm. one is marked for a microphone input as you said. So with the motorcycle wiring harness that I bought, that has a 2.5mm female output jack on it, - can I just reuse the male 2.5mm audio cord from the SPIII and plug it into this female jack on the cord? That way I wouldn't have to run another cord to the com system. All I would have to do is rewire for the power cord. Is this correct? If so, I guess I just un-confused myself!
That is how I connected a Garmin GPS to a previous bike intercom and it sounds like Dan did the same thing when he connected his 2820 to his Autocom. Maybe he can confirm since he, like you, had a SP III prior to replacing it with a 2820. What I know is that the 2.5mm female jack on the Garmin motorcycle wiring harness can be connected to an intercom so route instructions can be heard in a helmet headset. My current LT has a Voice II with the OEM BMW factory prep GPS wiring harness so I can't provide you with more specifics related to your comm system interface.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
That is how I connected a Garmin GPS to a previous bike intercom and it sounds like Dan did the same thing when he connected his 2820 to his Autocom. Maybe he can confirm since he, like you, had a SP III prior to replacing it with a 2820. What I know is that the 2.5mm female jack on the Garmin motorcycle wiring harness can be connected to an intercom so route instructions can be heard in a helmet headset. My current LT has a Voice II with the OEM BMW factory prep GPS wiring harness so I can't provide you with more specifics related to your comm system interface.
YEP ! - That's what I did. I'm told audio is mono audio, not stereo. To get stereo for XM you need to use the side female jack (3.5mm) and I can't tell you where to connect it because I'm not using it (yet). Once I add XM I'll start another round of questions!

I simply love this bike and forum.... and now it's off to the fish tank to play safety diver in the shark tank. or as my wife says, just another excuse to ride the bike!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
YEP ! - That's what I did. I'm told audio is mono audio, not stereo. To get stereo for XM you need to use the side female jack (3.5mm) and I can't tell you where to connect it because I'm not using it (yet). Once I add XM I'll start another round of questions!
Thanks Dan, Sounds like its going to be a lot easier than I thought. The only thing I will need to do is find a place to power it that is always on without having any engine noise come thru. My SPIII turns off with the ignition, but has battery backup in case I want to keep it on while the bike is turned off. Will install a dash switch somewhere to cut power to the connection cord when the unit is off the bike. Not going the XM route so don't have to worry about stereo or that hookup. Happy with my Ipod-Dice setup. Did you do the Speedo mod while in there?

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Thanks Dan, Sounds like its going to be a lot easier than I thought. The only thing I will need to do is find a place to power it that is always on without having any engine noise come thru. My SPIII turns off with the ignition, but has battery backup in case I want to keep it on while the bike is turned off. Will install a dash switch somewhere to cut power to the connection cord when the unit is off the bike. Not going the XM route so don't have to worry about stereo or that hookup. Happy with my Ipod-Dice setup. Did you do the Speedo mod while in there?

No on the speedometer modification. I just didn't want to strip it down that far. Replacing a few of the dash bulbs was enough.... Nice to now be able to easily see the gear and time. The BMW tech said that the bulbs I was replacing were 1.5 watt and I replaced them with the only ones they had available, 3 watt, and there is a noticeable difference in the illumination.

By the way, I wired the 2820 GPS directly to the battery's + & - terminals and also used the audio cord from my SP III. There is something in the line that seems to be a filter that must be doing a good job, because there is no unwanted noise......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in