Garmin Zumo 660 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Zumo 660

I'm in the market for a new GPS to replace my StreetPilot III as the battery connection has failed and it now only runs on external power. This by itself is not that big a deal, but I would like one with the whole database inside the unit, instead of having to change or reload storage chips to get the area of the country I am in. I just noticed that Garmin has come out with a Zumo 660. I had been looking at a 550, but was unimpressed as although it has an XM receiver in it, the Bluetooth output is mono. Who wants to listen to XM in mono? Therefore I was pleased when I saw in the 660's specs, that it had the A2DP Bluetooth protocol which is for stereo audio. However, after reading further, I was surprised to see that unlike the 550, the 660 did not have XM radio capability. Why, on God's earth, would they put the Bluetooth Stereo capability into this unit, and not XM radio? Who cares if you get route directions or cell phone calls in stereo? I see that it is capable of playing MP3s and audio books which are nice features, but if they had only added XM, I would be buying one today. It would also be nice if somebody could make a unit that would also communicate with another Bluetooth device, like a radar detector, and also have AM/FM radio functions. That way, the GPS unit could serve all your sound and communications needs, unless one wanted CB or bike to bike functionality, which probably would also be possible to build into a unit. Why don't these companies ask us what we want in a unit, instead of just building it and then putting it out there? I may just go with a 2820, until they can come up with what I want.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

Re: Garmin Zumo 660

I think that XM has been on shakey ground, financially.
Garmin may not have wanted to tie their new product into it.
Also a lot of folks are switching from XM to MP3 players....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

I have XM in a new car I bought lately and I like it. I don't like paying full price for it however, and have gotten a discounted subscription for it for a few months, but that is to end soon. Unfortunately, you have to also buy a subscription for each unit, so the one I have for my car would not be good if I got a bike mounted device. Seems to me, since I'm only using the only one of my vehicles, either the car or the bike, I should not have to pay twice. The 660 has an MP3 capability of course, but I would assume one stores their files on the micro SD cards, and the biggest I've seen of those are 16 Gig, which is much smaller than most iPods. I would rather have seen them do some sort of interface to an iPod than using their own player.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

On further reading, I see also that the 660 is WAAS or Wide Area Augmentation System enabled. This means it is a lot more accurate than ones without this system. To find out more about it go to http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:31 am

My Fuze is 8 gig and holds 2000 cuts...
So 16 gig...........40000 cuts...???/
seems like a lot of music..........................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
My Fuze is 8 gig and holds 2000 cuts...
So 16 gig...........40000 cuts...???/
seems like a lot of music..........................
It all depends on how you encode the music. I like better quality sound, so I myself use the Apple Lossless format, which are bigger files than MP3s, so I couldn't get that many songs on a 16 gig card. Fortunately, I have a 160 gig iPod.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in