Garmin 2730 audio connection to Autocom - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Question Garmin 2730 audio connection to Autocom

I was considering a 2720, but the 2730 would let me replace my XM radio and just have one gizmo on my BMR CoPilot shelf. If this had come out before I sprung for the iPod and iceLink, I'd have saved some bucks. Now that I have the iPod, the 2730's MP3 player is not essential but might be worth playing with.

According to what I've seen, the 2730 power plug does not pick up audio. Instead, there is a jack on the side of the 2730. You can either use this as a "line out" for audio, or you can use a built-in wireless FM modulator; if you did the latter I guess the voice prompts would play over your FM radio.

I have a Garmin power/audio cable and SP mount already installed. The plan was to run a cable from the audio cable jack down to the "priority" port on the Autocom (the one the phone plugs into, that way GPS voice prompts override music). I suppose now I would run the cord from the Autocom to the jack on the side of the 2730.

If you do that, and play XM radio or the MP3 player, would the music output run into the Autocom? That would bypass the onboard stereo controls. If 'audio out" is all audio (voice prompts and music), that may just be how it works.

If the other audio out setting is by enabling the FM modulator, I guess you could do it that way, but that would mean leaving FM radio on to get voice prompts. So no voice prompts when running CD/iceLink/cassette? Also, you have to deal with the limitations of a wireless FM modulator, which some don't like (I only use my XM's wireless modulator in the house and it works OK but I don't drive my house through the mountains).

I use a hardwired FM modulator now. Since it pipes the XM output directly into the stereo system, I thought perhaps I could plug the modulator directly to the 2730, saving a little money on Autocom cable and splitter. Not sure that'll work, though, since the modulator powers on when the XM SkiFi is turned on, and I would be getting rid of that receiver.

I'm hoping someone with a 2730 has figured this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Response from Autocom U.S.

Well, no one on the list responded (that's a first; maybe I should've mentioned motor oil) so I asked Autocom about hooking up the audio output. I cut and pasted our email exchange; short answer is that TopGear recommends running the GPS audio to the music port instead of the phone port. Alas, cost of cables and splitters about the same as patching in the GPS and phone. Here's the exchange:

Question: I have an Active 7 Sport and have planned to add a Garmin GPS. I already have the Garmin StreetPilot mount and power cable with the audio-out miniplug jack mounted on my bike; I know I would need Part 171 to route the GPS voice prompts to the Autocom "priority" port (with the splitter if I also wanted to keep my cellular phone mounted). That would work with the Garmin 2610 or the newer 2720 (they use the same power/audio connection).
Garmin has now introduced the 2730, which I am considering. The mount and power connection are the same as the prior models but the audio output is different, hence my question. The 2730 has a "line out" jack on the side of the GPS unit itself, but it is not the mini jack, it's a standard headphone jack like you'd use for a Walkman, iPod, etc. So, your existing Part 171 would not work. Which cable would I need?

The 2730 has a built-in XM Radio receiver and an MP3 audio player. The "line out" also carries the music (there is also a wireless FM modulator but I think you have to select either the modulator or the line out for all of the audio output). I have my bike's onboard stereo running into my Autocom music port already, which is how I'd prefer to pipe in music but I don't know if that's possible with the new Garmin. Have you had any experience interfacing this new GPS? Can music be piped in through the "priority" port? Seems like it would override my intercom or bike-to-bike.

Answer from Autocom U.S. (Topgear): Carter, if the output on the Garmin is a 3.5mm stereo then you can use a 64 and go right into the music port on the Active-7.

Question: Since I have a 66 already in that port, I assume I'd need the 65 dual input to connect them both. Since the 65 is shielded/isolated, wouldn't I use the 60 or 61 to connect the Garmin?

Answer: Carter, yes you would use the 65, and you can use the 60 or 61. Remember on the 65 the A side is isolated and B side is not. You will have to take the 66 and go into the B side and then take the 60 and go into the A side.

Question: Thanks for clarifying. I actually was not aware of the A-B. I only have one plug in each port right now. Is there any relative priority when dual audio input is used? Suppose I'm listening to my onboard stereo when the Garmin GPS sends a voice command. Would I hear music and voice at once or would one input override the other?

Answer: Carter, there is no priority on the Active-7, you should hear both at the same time.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 1:58 am

Re: Garmin 2730 audio connection to Autocom

It is too good for those users who are not well knowledge about BMW. You can get entire information which you want.Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:10 am

the 2730 is an older gps, I cannot remember exactly how it is configured.....What do you want to do recieve audio only ? I will check my books and then get back with you. what autocom model do you have ? Kieth 918-446-2245
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
the 2730 is an older gps, I cannot remember exactly how it is configured.....What do you want to do recieve audio only ? I will check my books and then get back with you. what autocom model do you have ? Kieth 918-446-2245
Speaking of older...You do know this thread is almost 5 years old.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Just to close the loop, I eventually went with a Zumo 550 instead of a Streetpilot. I also bought the XM receiver and ran the audio signal to my stereo via cassette adaptor. I like being able to use the handlebar controls.

It worked fine but later I got crosswise with XM Radio and canceled my subscription so I usually just listen the onboard FM radio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in