2820 Audio Connections - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Question 2820 Audio Connections

I have a StreetPilot 2820 on my LT. I didn't purchase the unit with the satellite radio antenna. My LT has no comm system. I've successfully loaded music into the 2820. I know I can pair it with my cell phone. Question is, short of buying a comm system, how do I get audio for mp3s, turn-by-turn directions, and cell phone to my helmet and voice to the 2820 for cell phone? I've looked at the Scala Rider FM & Q2 a couple times, but haven't seen any reviews of either product. The Scala Riders come with helmet speakers, which I'm leaning toward. Pricing seems reasonable. Does anyone have any experience with either unit? Is there another wireless unit that's better? I'm not married to a wireless setup, so if anyone knows of a wired setup using helmet speakers and microphone, please pass that along as well. Would a wired setup have the same noise suppression capabilities as the wireless systems I've looked at?

TIA

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Re: 2820 Audio Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I have a StreetPilot 2820 on my LT. I didn't purchase the unit with the satellite radio antenna. My LT has no comm system. I've successfully loaded music into the 2820. I know I can pair it with my cell phone. Question is, short of buying a comm system, how do I get audio for mp3s, turn-by-turn directions, and cell phone to my helmet and voice to the 2820 for cell phone? I've looked at the Scala Rider FM & Q2 a couple times, but haven't seen any reviews of either product. The Scala Riders come with helmet speakers, which I'm leaning toward. Pricing seems reasonable. Does anyone have any experience with either unit? Is there another wireless unit that's better? I'm not married to a wireless setup, so if anyone knows of a wired setup using helmet speakers and microphone, please pass that along as well. Would a wired setup have the same noise suppression capabilities as the wireless systems I've looked at?

TIA
If you are really trying to be economical you could put some wired earbud headsets in your ears, put your helmet on, and plug the ear buds into the 2820 3.5mm aux out jack for sound out. For mic input to the Garmin, plug the microphone (that should have come with the 2820) into the 2820 2.5mm jack and position the mic near your mouth somehow (like draping the mic over the chin bar of a full face mask). It won't be pretty but you can have the functionality that you desire in the short term while you figure out your longer term solution.

I am not being facetious, I had to jury rig my Garmin this way on a trip when I had a comm system problem (not on my LT).

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2820 Audio Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I am not being facetious, I had to jury rig my Garmin this way on a trip when I had a comm system problem (not on my LT).
Didn't think that in the least, Jim. Thanks for your input. I looked at the microphone that came with the 2820 and studied the websites for Baehr, Autocom, Starcom, and ATE (hope I'm not leaving any out). All the websites said they had noise cancelling microphones to keep the person on the other end of the phone from hearing the wind, engine, etc. and prices from "Sheese" all the way to "Does it come gold plated?" I thought the mic that came with the 2820 might not be quite so selective. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in