GPS can't find satellites...problem fixed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

GPS can't find satellites...problem fixed

My Garmin 2610 started having trouble finding satellites after I moved it from my '05 LT to my "07 GT in November '07. At first it was sporadic and only happened once or twice on my usual weekend rides. In the last four or five months it's gotten worse and would sometimes take up to 20 miles before it could find a position only to lose it a few miles later. I've owned the 2610 for over four years so I was beginning to think that the GPS was just getting old and slow.

I have an XM radio in the right fairing pocket on my GT and I thought it might be interfering with the GPS but I never had a problem on my two LT's (XM was in the oddments box). I even tried turning the XM off and it seemed to help but since there was no pattern in the time it took the GPS to find satellites I couldn't be certain the XM was at fault.

I did a search on this site and found a very early post where someone mentioned that XM had a problem with some of the early XM Roady radios causing too much interference. I bought my XM Roady radio in '02 so I knew it had to be one of the early ones. So I covered it with tin foil and went for a ride. Problem fixed....and GPS finds a position as quick as it ever did. I guess the oddments box on my LTs had enough shielding to prevent the problem.

If you're GPS is having trouble finding satellites I'd look for interference from your other electronic accessories as a possible cause.

Bruce Hodges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Re: GPS can't find satellites...problem fixed

Another thing that will interfere with the signal for the GPS is the H.A.R.D unit. The Helmet Assisted Radar Display I think is what it's called. It's a unit that transmits a signal to a light in your helmet if your radar unit detects a radar signal If the transmitter for the H.A.R.D is anywhere close to the GPS it will lose the signal on a regular basis. Not just when the radar unit alerts but at all times. I finally had to just remove mine.
post #3 of 3 Old May 4th, 2009, 11:12 am

Re: GPS can't find satellites...problem fixed

I think I just found the solution to my 376C's problem so I thought I'd update here.

I have updated the firmware, replaced the battery and purchased am external antenna, but none of these help with satellite reception.

When the unit cannot find a satellite I get a "Poor Satellite Reception" menu with the following options:

Start Simulator
New Location
Stored w/o Batteries
Continue Acquiring

Up till last night, I always chose "Continue Acquiring." I tried "New Location" and it found itself again! This particular menu is not covered in the owners manual and I still don't know what "Stored w/o Batteries" does.

"New Location" is covered under other subjects and is used when the unit has not been powered up after moving 600 or more miles. I travel to Boston frequently and maybe this contributed to its self confusion although I've had it not work within hours of working. Maybe it just gets confused?

At any rate, I think I'm back in business and thought I would share my solution. Now on to the clutch.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in