Garmin 2820 on an '01 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 11th, 2009, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2820 on an '01 LT

So I sprung for the Garmin 2820/GXM30 deal on getwetfeet, and the unit is on its way. I have also purchased the 2820 motorcycle cable, but I did not get the mounting cradle, as my '01 had the **ORIGINAL** Nav1(??) cradle on it. Visual inspection suggests that the 2820 should snap into that cradle, so now I'm down to wiring.

I have the COM system that was offered with the '01 (remember be gentle with me here on terminology, I'm a green LT owner) with a CB installed.

I'm using a wired headset.

I am wondering if anyone has done a cabling diagram to convert the NAV 1 wiring to the COM system over to the 2820 harness. From what I can see, I will also have to run a 3.5mm stereo cable from the 2820 AUX OUT to the COM AUX IN, in order to get XM radio - but if I read my COM manual correctly, I will only get XM in the headset, no speakers possible. Does that sound right? (NOTE: If so, I plan to run the XM into a tape adapter and use the cassette in the oddments box as the audio source for XM).

From what I can gather, if I pair my bluetooth phone to the 2820, and the rest is wired correctly, I will be able to use my phone in my WIRED headset, yes? I will have stereo XM, speakers and headset, yes?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to help me patch in the new cable?

Thanks!

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 11th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Re: Garmin 2820 on an '01 LT

I don't know that I would care about the on-bike speakers if I had music to my headset but some folks seem to like it.

I bet you will find that Bluetooth will not pick up your mike audio signal and you will need some sort of Bluetooth adaptor to talk on the phone. I just finished pairing my Zumo to my phone and to my Motorola HF820 (which the Zumo "sees" as a headset) after updating the Bluetooth firmware on my Garmin. Without the adaptor, I can connect to incoming calls and listen to them but they would not be able to hear me.

You know, on second thought many of my conversations would probably work out better if I just listened instead of speaking, but callers seem to like me to at least say "hello" at the beginning of the call.

Poke around on the Bluetooth and Phones forum on www.zumoforums.com for more information on the subject than you could possibly read in one evening. I realize you have the 2820 but I think the Bluetooth connectivity is pretty much the same as the Zumo's.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I don't know that I would care about the on-bike speakers if I had music to my headset but some folks seem to like it.

I bet you will find that Bluetooth will not pick up your mike audio signal and you will need some sort of Bluetooth adaptor to talk on the phone. I just finished pairing my Zumo to my phone and to my Motorola HF820 (which the Zumo "sees" as a headset) after updating the Bluetooth firmware on my Garmin. Without the adaptor, I can connect to incoming calls and listen to them but they would not be able to hear me.

You know, on second thought many of my conversations would probably work out better if I just listened instead of speaking, but callers seem to like me to at least say "hello" at the beginning of the call.

Poke around on the Bluetooth and Phones forum on www.zumoforums.com for more information on the subject than you could possibly read in one evening. I realize you have the 2820 but I think the Bluetooth connectivity is pretty much the same as the Zumo's.
Thank you - very helpful. I just picked up an HF820 on Ebay... I didn't realize they had a wired audio connection.

Now if I can find someone who can help me sort out the wiring changes, I'll be all set. Anyone have pinouts for the radio connectors? Is there even an electrical shop manual for these beasts, like HD issues for their bikes?

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 15th, 2009, 11:19 am

I have an 2002 and recently hooked up a 2820 to it. I am using the HF820 Check out the following threads for assistance.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...71&postcount=8

I am using a cassette adapter to get audio from the GPS. I built a passive mixer so I can have my satellite radio and GPS connected to my comm system. Check out:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21880

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in