Help with pre-wired GPS mount - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Help with pre-wired GPS mount

Yesterday I bought a new LT. Just before the ignition is a standard four-hole mounting plate, for GPS, There are two cables, one with a small circular fitting for the GPS, about 1/4 inch across. I have a Garmin 276c, and it's power plug is the same but larger .I ve no idea what model the plug is intended to fit.Hopefully it is a Zumo 550. Can anybody help?

The second wire ends with a 1" x 1/2 flat piece that has approximately ten staggered teeth lying flat. I am completely baffled. Again, I hope it's for the XM part of a 550. Can anybody help with that?

Oh, both cables split from a single line.

I spoke at length with the BMW dealership about it, but they pretty much blew me off. Wanted me to buy the branded unit.

"What a long strange trip it's been."jg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Re: Help with pre-wired GPS mount

I pulled those out and ran the power cable that came with my Zumo. They don't fit the zumo.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising01
Yesterday I bought a new LT. Just before the ignition is a standard four-hole mounting plate, for GPS, There are two cables, one with a small circular fitting for the GPS, about 1/4 inch across. I have a Garmin 276c, and it's power plug is the same but larger .I ve no idea what model the plug is intended to fit.Hopefully it is a Zumo 550. Can anybody help?

The second wire ends with a 1" x 1/2 flat piece that has approximately ten staggered teeth lying flat. I am completely baffled. Again, I hope it's for the XM part of a 550. Can anybody help with that?

Oh, both cables split from a single line.

I spoke at length with the BMW dealership about it, but they pretty much blew me off. Wanted me to buy the branded unit.
Sounds like your bike is prewired for the Navigator II or III. The round cable connects to the BMW cradle to operate buttons unique to the BMW branded GPS units. The flat pentagon shaped cable is the power source for the BMW Navigator units and the intercom connection to the BMW Voice II comm systems if your bike has one. That connector will perform the same function for the Garmin branded StreetPilot GPS units including the 26XX, 27XX and the 2820. The Garmin units will mount in the BMW cradle but the cradle buttons will not work. You will find much discussion of this topic on this forum if you search for it..

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 5:20 pm

The nav III + has been reduced to $750. While that is still pricey it includes the cradle, car mount, all the various wires, the North American 08 map with a free upgrade to 09 map. It also has a remote, something I can't wait to play with at 75mph!

Scott
2009 LT
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Just one point of caution - I found out that the 2610 unit does NOT work with my Voice II system on my 07 LT. It would operate, but it also would start to change from one page view to another at random. Everyone told me that the 2610 should work, but after three such units , each having the same problem, I changed out to a 2720 and no problem. I'm using the 2610 in one of my cars.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in