GPS 2820 bracket!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Question GPS 2820 bracket!!

Hi all;

I purchased a 2820 from getfeetwet and was wondering where to get a bracket for the LT.

The bracket for the 2610 hides the two cable connections on the left side of the unit.

Also, where would I get the cables for the 2820 to plug into the BMW comm system.

Regards,
Bowdon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Re: GPS 2820 bracket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Hi all;

I purchased a 2820 from getfeetwet and was wondering where to get a bracket for the LT.

The bracket for the 2610 hides the two cable connections on the left side of the unit.

Also, where would I get the cables for the 2820 to plug into the BMW comm system.

Regards,
Bowdon
Perhaps you don't have the mount sold by Garmin. I used the same Garmin motorcycle mount for both a 2610 and a 2820. See example here. I am not endorsing this ebay seller; it was the first listing that had a picture which I thought might be helpful.

My '2007 LT came with the GPS prep kit option which was already connected to the BMW Voice II comm system which is on my bike.

Kind of tough to answer your question definitively since you haven't provided specific information like the year of your bike and which BMW comm system you have.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
Perhaps you don't have the mount sold by Garmin. I used the same Garmin motorcycle mount for both a 2610 and a 2820. See example here. I am not endorsing this ebay seller; it was the first listing that had a picture which I thought might be helpful.

My '2007 LT came with the GPS prep kit option which was already connected to the BMW Voice II comm system which is on my bike.

Kind of tough to answer your question definitively since you haven't provided specific information like the year of your bike and which BMW comm system you have.
I have a 2005 and the original GPS (Nav II) is also connected to the BMW comm system. The bracket is shown with the Nav II attached and the other picture shows the 2820 ( 2820 on the right) The mic & audio out are blocked if I use the BMW bracket (see what I mean).
Regards,
Bowdon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Nav II.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	21893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav II & 2820.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	21894  

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Thanks for clarifying. The Nav II cradle buttons will not work with the 2820. You can replace the BMW cradle with the Garmin motorcycle mount which will allow access to the jacks on the side of the 2820. The link that I posted as an example above shows the Garmin cradle with the power connector. The cradle can be purchased without the power connector since you will not need it, just google "garmin motorcycle mount" to search for it. you will find a lot of sources.

The jacks on the side of the 2820 are for Aux out (3.5mm stereo) and Mic in (2.5mm). I purchased a 3.5mm stereo cable from BMW because it has right angle plugs on it. I have also seen right angle plugs of various lengths on eBay. I plug the cable into the 2820 Aux out and into the Voice II Aux in port to listen to stereo XM via the 2820 and the optional GXM-30 XM radio/anntena. To the best of my knowledge there is no cable that connects the Voice II to the Mic in jack on the 2820.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 19th, 2009, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. The Nav II cradle buttons will not work with the 2820. You can replace the BMW cradle with the Garmin motorcycle mount which will allow access to the jacks on the side of the 2820. The link that I posted as an example above shows the Garmin cradle with the power connector. The cradle can be purchased without the power connector since you will not need it, just google "garmin motorcycle mount" to search for it. you will find a lot of sources.

The jacks on the side of the 2820 are for Aux out (3.5mm stereo) and Mic in (2.5mm). I purchased a 3.5mm stereo cable from BMW because it has right angle plugs on it. I have also seen right angle plugs of various lengths on eBay. I plug the cable into the 2820 Aux out and into the Voice II Aux in port to listen to stereo XM via the 2820 and the optional GXM-30 XM radio/anntena. To the best of my knowledge there is no cable that connects the Voice II to the Mic in jack on the 2820.
would this work for the gps and MP3 on the 2820?
Bowdon
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Quote:
would this work for the gps and MP3 on the 2820?
Bowdon
Yes, when you are listening via the Voice II with the Aux output selected. However, if you are listening to AM/FM/CD Voice II outputs, you will need to unplug the 3.5mm cable from the 2820 in order to hear GPS commands which will be heard via the Voice II intercom which will interrupt those sources. You can also listen to the mp3's (or audible books) on the 2820 via this method but it is in mono when it comes through the intercom.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: GPS 2820 bracket!!

Quote:
Yes, when you are listening via the Voice II with the Aux output selected. However, if you are listening to AM/FM/CD Voice II outputs, you will need to unplug the 3.5mm cable from the 2820 in order to hear GPS commands which will be heard via the Voice II intercom which will interrupt those sources. You can also listen to the mp3's (or audible books) on the 2820 via this method but it is in mono when it comes through the intercom.
Tried this last night:
I installed the Nav II cradle, installed the 2820 and checked with the helmet headsets. I hear the MP3, audiobooks and the directions in STEREO!!! without any cable. I can switch to the am/fm and cd with the switch on the Voice II so as far as I am concerned, I don't need to hook the cable from the 2820 to the comm.
It works for me si I have a Garmin cradle recently purchased ( will arrive next week) for sale!!!
Don't need it now!!!

Regards,
Bowdon.
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Tried this last night:
I installed the Nav II cradle, installed the 2820 and checked with the helmet headsets. I hear the MP3, audiobooks and the directions in STEREO!!! without any cable. I can switch to the am/fm and cd with the switch on the Voice II so as far as I am concerned, I don't need to hook the cable from the 2820 to the comm.
It works for me si I have a Garmin cradle recently purchased ( will arrive next week) for sale!!!
Don't need it now!!!

Regards,
Bowdon.
You may hear sound in both the right and left earphones of your headset but it is mono not dual channel stereo via the Voice II intercom.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in