Mounting the Garmin XM30 Antenna on my LT- Help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Wink Mounting the Garmin XM30 Antenna on my LT- Help!

Desiring to enjoy listening to XM Radio on my 2009 BMW K12 LT, I mounted the Garmin GXM-30 Smart XM antenna using a CycleGadgets Ram antenna bracket to the cradle mount of the Garmin 550 GPS unit. The sound is quite satisfactory using a Motosport interface cable which plugs from the GPS cradle to my helmet speakers. It also has a clean, uncluttered look to the setup.

The problem I have encountered is that the RAM bracket mount as intended to be attached to the cradle mount with the Garmin antenna in place squarely blocks viewing the on board computer readout panel.

Can anyone suggest a solution for mounting the XM smart antenna to the Garmin 550 GPS unit that is more convenient?

Here is a link to the Ram mount which is designed for this particular model Garmin antenna.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products....asp?prod=ZUMO

Thanks,
officer 023

Last edited by officer023; Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:00 pm. Reason: add photo of antenna mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Re: Mounting the Garmin XM30 Antenna on my LT- Help!

I have my GXM-30 in my tank bag which is in front of and lower than the GPS unit (in my case a 2820). I can still view the dash LCD screen adequately over the Garmin. I still get adequate reception.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 1:38 am Thread Starter

Thank-you for your reply. I had not considered putting the antenna in a tank bag! However, I need a more permanent solution for mounting the antenna, since I don't use a tank bag frequently.

Anyone care to suggest a solution?

Also, why is my thread moved off the K1200 LT site? Whats the point of asking for help if the thread doesn't get in the right forum?

officer 023

post #4 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:43 am

They moved your thread to the GPS Forum.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #5 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:39 am

I don't like stuff (farkles) all over so I had to come up with something that would hide it.

I placed mine inside the mirror/ vanity compartment- velcroed in place so the top of the antenna is facing up (reception is poorer if you have the antenna mounted upside down. Drilled out a wire channel on the right side so the cable could exit the topcase without pinching (see the wires that leave the left side for reference), and ran the wire along the frame up to the 2820. Works great- I may shave a little plastic off the mirror/ vanity door to reduce the pinching coming out of there.
post #6 of 20 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
I don't like stuff (farkles) all over so I had to come up with something that would hide it.

I placed mine inside the mirror/ vanity compartment- velcroed in place so the top of the antenna is facing up....[snip]
Sounds like a good idea. With regard to reception, have you had any experience with a bag mounted on the top case rack?

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:54 am

edited after rereading...

After mounting the gxm30 in the topcase, I put my luggage on the toprack full of rags, shoes, etc to simulate clothing. No negative affect on reception, however, if youi like ot carry a lot of metal around in your luggage, it would probably affect reception.

Now, I do notice that reception is slightly degraded from when I had the regular xm mobile (car) antenna mounted on the top of the front cowling (sp?)... when I used my xm2go... before I got the garmin 2820. But it's not bad.
post #8 of 20 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Quote:
edited after rereading...

After mounting the gxm30 in the topcase, I put my luggage on the toprack full of rags, shoes, etc to simulate clothing. No negative affect on reception, however, if youi like ot carry a lot of metal around in your luggage, it would probably affect reception.
Thanks for checking. I might give it a try.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #9 of 20 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Since the RAM mount blocks the on board computer read-out which drives me crazy, I decided to buy the BMW "utility bag" which mounts on the door of the tank 'glove box'. I will then run the antenna from the bag and plug in to the cradle. I would rather live with the tank bag than lose the view of the read-out.

My thanks to jhsonderb for the suggestion and to everyone else who weighed in. I appreciate it, guys! Also, sorry for my complaining about moving the post; I did not realize it there was a seperate GPS topic. I am new to this site.

Remember, 55, it's the law!

officer 023
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer023
Since the RAM mount blocks the on board computer read-out which drives me crazy, I decided to buy the BMW "utility bag" which mounts on the door of the tank 'glove box'. I will then run the antenna from the bag and plug in to the cradle. I would rather live with the tank bag than lose the view of the read-out.

My thanks to jhsonderb for the suggestion and to everyone else who weighed in. I appreciate it, guys! Also, sorry for my complaining about moving the post; I did not realize it there was a seperate GPS topic. I am new to this site.

Remember, 55, it's the law!

officer 023

Yea, but did you get to use a drill on your LT? I didn't think so.
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 4:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I placed mine inside the mirror/ vanity compartment- velcroed in place so the top of the antenna is facing up (reception is poorer if you have the antenna mounted upside down. Drilled out a wire channel on the right side so the cable could exit the topcase without pinching (see the wires that leave the left side for reference), and ran the wire along the frame up to the 2820. Works great- I may shave a little plastic off the mirror/ vanity door to reduce the pinching coming out of there.
I essentially dis the same & mounted in top case. It's out of sight and I only .loose the space in the mirror compartment. Works OK but not sure how it function on a trip with a bag secured to the top case rack.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #12 of 20 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:08 am Thread Starter

As a general rule I stay away from drills. They remind me of visits to the dentist!
post #13 of 20 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 8:09 am

I don't have one, but why not mount it under the headlight, top plastic area. Hidden and out of the way. I've got my GPS antenna there and it seems to work OK. Since it is simply a receive antenna, there shouldn't be any interference. Maybe I'm missing something. Does the plastic block the signal?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Feb 13th, 2009 at 8:15 am.
post #14 of 20 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:18 pm

I mounted it with heavy duty velcro to the top of the topcase rack. Very solid. If someone is going to take it, they will have to cut the cable. So be it. I also tried placing it inside the top box and found that it degraded reception substantially.
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #15 of 20 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Good news,

I received the BMW utility tank bag, put the Garmin antenna in it, anchored with velco, poked a hole, ran the plug into the cradle. Problem solved, looks good, I like the bag. It's small and unobtrusive. also I can see my on board computer display. Muah! Life is good again!
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. You all are great!
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 8:17 pm

I have a friend that just heavy-duty velcroed his to the top of his 2820's BMR sun shade. I'm going to do the same with my 2730 (which I just got from getfeetwet.com).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2009, 9:49 am

Update, Just in case anyone is checking these threads for mounting options. The reception with the GXM30 mounted inside the topcase (mirror/ vanity compartment) seems to have gotten worse. Don't know why that would be, but I've got to find another solution.

I may go with the BMR sunshade idea or a small tankbag. Gotta be a small tankbag though, if at all.
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Update, Just in case anyone is checking these threads for mounting options. The reception with the GXM30 mounted inside the topcase (mirror/ vanity compartment) seems to have gotten worse. Don't know why that would be, but I've got to find another solution.

I may go with the BMR sunshade idea or a small tankbag. Gotta be a small tankbag though, if at all.
Thanks for the update.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 9:05 am

I used the garmin mount for my 550 had the same problem, the darn antenna blocked the dash. I then just turned the bracket aroung the other way (antenna over the gps instead of in front of it.) solved the problem and have had no degradation in the gps signal. simple and quick. Kieth
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 1:25 am
Gold Supporter

I going to velcro one to my wifes helmet, she's blond and wont notice...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in