Using a 2820 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Using a 2820

Is anyone using the Garmin 2820 and able to get driving instructions, mp3, cell phone, and xm audio through a headset in their helmet? Via an intercom or other?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Re: Using a 2820

Mine is linked to a J&M CB/Intercom. Everything works well except the bluetooth phone hookup. I can hear the other party fine, but they get a loud tone that is louder than the conversation. After numerous calls to Garmin and J&M with no results, Garmin asked me to send it back for a check up. I'm still waiting to get it back and hoping all will be well.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Please see this thread as well, for more of my experiences and questions.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I use my 2820 with my blue tooth phone. I couple the phone to the 2820 and a Moto HF 820 to the GPS. the 820 is plugged into my BMW intercom and so I can use the helmet head set to talk on phone. Also have a separate XM radio and BMW CB tied into the system. It all works pretty well. I like the GPS in the phone circuit so I can preview the phone calls.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hey John,
I've had my SP 2820, with the GXM 30, since about June 2007. It is connected through a Baehr K1200LT Intercom system. Never had an issue with connection problems or operation, just plugged it in and it worked as advertised. I still don't have all the interfaces, wind noise, fader etc., on the Baehr adjusted to optimum. I suppose I'll get around to it some day. The only gripe I do have on the 2820 is the volume adjustments are at 10% intervals, one point may be too loud and the other not loud enough. And I've just paired my cell to the Garmin but haven't tried it yet, something else I'll get around to some day. If you need me to check on something that may help you get it working, installation pictures or any diagrams I might have etc., let me know…..…..Rob

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
I use my 2820 with my blue tooth phone. I couple the phone to the 2820 and a Moto HF 820 to the GPS. the 820 is plugged into my BMW intercom and so I can use the helmet head set to talk on phone. Also have a separate XM radio and BMW CB tied into the system. It all works pretty well. I like the GPS in the phone circuit so I can preview the phone calls.

Thanks Lynn. A separate XM unit will work in this case. I just feel the 2820 should perform as advertised.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9
Hey John,
I've had my SP 2820, with the GXM 30, since about June 2007. It is connected through a Baehr K1200LT Intercom system. Never had an issue with connection problems or operation, just plugged it in and it worked as advertised. I still don't have all the interfaces, wind noise, fader etc., on the Baehr adjusted to optimum. I suppose I'll get around to it some day. The only gripe I do have on the 2820 is the volume adjustments are at 10% intervals, one point may be too loud and the other not loud enough. And I've just paired my cell to the Garmin but haven't tried it yet, something else I'll get around to some day. If you need me to check on something that may help you get it working, installation pictures or any diagrams I might have etc., let me know…..…..Rob

I sure appreciate the help Rob.

I'll bet you are not using a bluetooth headset for the phone though, are you? Just pairing your phone may work, but what are using for a phone mic?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Is anyone using the Garmin 2820 and able to get driving instructions, mp3, cell phone, and xm audio through a headset in their helmet? Via an intercom or other?
I get all of the above into my wired BMW (J&M) headset using the Voice II. Following is how it works as best that I can remember since I haven't ridden my bike for a while. I have found that there are some compromises required.

Scenario 1: If you are not using the 2820 aux out jack to listen to stereo XM using the optional GXM-30 XM antenna (or the built in mp3 music player of the 2820), you can connect a bluetooth phone to the Voice II via a Motorola HF-820 bluetooth speakerphone which has an output jack which connects to the Voice II telephone input jack with a BMW cable that has 2.5mm to 2.5mm male to male stereo plug on each end. The upside is that you can make (my cell phone book is automatically read by the 2820) and receive calls through the 2820 bluetooth connections which is very convenient. You can also connect an mp3 player to the Voice II aux in jack and listen to stereo music. The 2820 will mute the music from either source when a direction is given or if a call comes in. The downside is that the music you hear coming from the 2820 will be in mono and essentially suck because it is coming from the intercom.

Scenario 2: If you connect a cable to the 2820 aux out port, you will not be able to connect your bluetooth phone to the Voice II because of a limitation within the Garmin 2820 software. You can use a wired connection for your cell phone interface to the Voice II and rely solely on your phones ability to make and receive calls. My Nokia phone has "voice dial" but it is not dependable since it uses a computer generated name for my contacts. (I think Motorola RAZR's have a better voice dial setup because you create a contact name using your own voice, but I digress). Speed dial is more convenient for me but the downside is fumbling around for the phone in the oddiments box or routing the cable out of the oddiments box into your tank bag where the phone can be more accessible.

So what do I do? Generally I listen to XM so I use a 3.5mm stereo male to male cable to connect the 2820 aux out jack to the Voice II aux in jack to listen to stereo XM via the Garmin GXM-30 antenna and the 2820 acting as the "head unit". I use the same cable, always connected to the Voice II, but plug it into my iPod and unplug it from the 2820 when I want to listen to "mp3" music. If I am expecting a call, I prefer the Scenario 1 bluetooth connection methodology for the convenience so I unplug the cable from the aux out jack of the 2820. I then listen to AM/FM/CD or the mp3 player connected to the Voice II aux input jack. If the voice dialing of my cell phone was not such a PIA, I would probably use a wired connection foregoing the benefits of the 2820 blue tooth phone connectivity.

I hope this makes some sense.

ps...If I am riding with my brother who has an LT with a 2820 and a Baehr system, I have everybody call him since his comm system works correctly with the 2820. He then relays the info via GMRS. ha ha

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I get all of the above into my wired BMW (J&M) headset using the Voice II. Following is how it works as best that I can remember since I haven't ridden my bike for a while. I have found that there are some compromises required.

Scenario 1: If you are not using the 2820 aux out jack to listen to stereo XM using the optional GXM-30 XM antenna (or the built in mp3 music player of the 2820), you can connect a bluetooth phone to the Voice II via a Motorola HF-820 bluetooth speakerphone which has an output jack which connects to the Voice II telephone input jack with a BMW cable that has 2.5mm to 2.5mm male to male stereo plug on each end. The upside is that you can make (my cell phone book is automatically read by the 2820) and receive calls through the 2820 bluetooth connections which is very convenient. You can also connect an mp3 player to the Voice II aux in jack and listen to stereo music. The 2820 will mute the music from either source when a direction is given or if a call comes in. The downside is that the music you hear coming from the 2820 will be in mono and essentially suck because it is coming from the intercom.

Scenario 2: If you connect a cable to the 2820 aux out port, you will not be able to connect your bluetooth phone to the Voice II because of a limitation within the Garmin 2820 software. You can use a wired connection for your cell phone interface to the Voice II and rely solely on your phones ability to make and receive calls. My Nokia phone has "voice dial" but it is not dependable since it uses a computer generated name for my contacts. (I think Motorola RAZR's have a better voice dial setup because you create a contact name using your own voice, but I digress). Speed dial is more convenient for me but the downside is fumbling around for the phone in the oddiments box or routing the cable out of the oddiments box into your tank bag where the phone can be more accessible.

So what do I do? Generally I listen to XM so I use a 3.5mm stereo male to male cable to connect the 2820 aux out jack to the Voice II aux in jack to listen to stereo XM via the Garmin GXM-30 antenna and the 2820 acting as the "head unit". I use the same cable, always connected to the Voice II, but plug it into my iPod and unplug it from the 2820 when I want to listen to "mp3" music. If I am expecting a call, I prefer the Scenario 1 bluetooth connection methodology for the convenience so I unplug the cable from the aux out jack of the 2820. I then listen to AM/FM/CD or the mp3 player connected to the Voice II aux input jack. If the voice dialing of my cell phone was not such a PIA, I would probably use a wired connection foregoing the benefits of the 2820 blue tooth phone connectivity.

I hope this makes some sense.

ps...If I am riding with my brother who has an LT with a 2820 and a Baehr system, I have everybody call him since his comm system works correctly with the 2820. He then relays the info via GMRS. ha ha
Well thanks a bunch Jim. What you have described is exactly my findings. Too bad Garmin didn't take the time to feed the XM sound similar to the mp3. Probably too far into development to make it right.

Thanks again for your time to reply.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 9:48 am

Quote:
Well thanks a bunch Jim. What you have described is exactly my findings. Too bad Garmin didn't take the time to feed the XM sound similar to the mp3. Probably too far into development to make it right.

Thanks again for your time to reply.
It would have been nice if Garmin literature stated somewhere that blue tooth phone connectivity would not work when you use the GXM-30 XM antenna if you plug a cable into the aux out jack without their wired mic (or equivalent) plugged into the 2820 mic jack (The Baehr comm system has a cable that wires both the 2820 aux and mic jacks to its system). After discussing the matter with the Garmin tech support, they told me that the 2820 blue tooth band width was not sufficient to support stereo XM.

As an aside, it is my understanding that the Zumo 550 has a setting to allow "phone only" over blue tooth presumably when a cable is plugged into the aux out jack (which I assume it has) to play stereo XM. Maybe somebody with a Zumo 550 can confirm this and point out any other "gotchas" associated with the Zumo.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
It would have been nice if Garmin literature stated somewhere that blue tooth phone connectivity would not work when you use the GXM-30 XM antenna if you plug a cable into the aux out jack without their wired mic (or equivalent) plugged into the 2820 mic jack (The Baehr comm system has a cable that wires both the 2820 aux and mic jacks to its system). After discussing the matter with the Garmin tech support, they told me that the 2820 blue tooth band width was not sufficient to support stereo XM.

As an aside, it is my understanding that the Zumo 550 has a setting to allow "phone only" over blue tooth presumably when a cable is plugged into the aux out jack (which I assume it has) to play stereo XM. Maybe somebody with a Zumo 550 can confirm this and point out any other "gotchas" associated with the Zumo.
Yes, Weyman Carter posted that about the 550 in another post. Yep Garmin continued to be misleading about the 2820 even after 3 years of sales. We can say all we want about Garmin support but that marketing scam is BS. The band width issue is true, however, the signal could be modified prior to going to line out. If the sound is ok to listen to MP3 then it would be good enough for less than stereo amplification of XM. Fine if they don't want to do it, just make it clear in the literature.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 3:09 pm
tlc

Quote:
I have a 2820, and I use a Scala Rider wireless headset. The 2820 pairs with the headset and my Palm Treo 755p phone. I can get GPS directions, MP3-capability, and the phone, all through the headset. It, so far at least, works flawlessly.
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
I have a 2820, and I use a Scala Rider wireless headset. The 2820 pairs with the headset and my Palm Treo 755p phone. I can get GPS directions, MP3-capability, and the phone, all through the headset. It, so far at least, works flawlessly.

XM won't work that way though. FYI mine works as well as yours if ONLY using those functions.

Thanks though,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 4:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had the 2820 since September and my observations are the same as Jim's with the blackberry phone. I have resolved myself to not use XM when I'm expecting important work related calls and use the HF820. Otherwise, when I'm riding for enjoyment and not commuting I take advantage of the XM. The J&M folks at the Long Beach Motorcycle show told me they will have, in the near future, a bluetooth device that will connect to to VCII and we will be able to use all the features of the BMW Comm System, 2820 and blackberry at the same time with their bluetooth helmet headset/mic. My initial thoughts that would be nice but may not worth the cost. Someone told me the next LT (or facsimile of) will have bluetooth incorporated into the comm system?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I'm becoming a little disenchanted with my 2820. I finally got around to hooking everything up - cell phone input on my Motocomm to the mic input; audio out to MP3 input on the Motocomm; XM puck connected up. First thing I noticed was a LOT of buzz in the speakers. I connected the iPhone via Bluetooth and was able to make a call, but the buzz was so bad the person on the other end had a hard time hearing me.

I disconnected the line going to the Motocomm and plugged earphones into the audio out. I could still hear the buzz, so I disconnected the Motocomm from the bike power and went to batteries to see if the bike power was the issue. Still had a buzz.

I plugged everything back into the Motocomm and tried another test call with the Motocomm it's own power pack. I still had a buzz, PLUS now the mic wasn't working.

Next I unplugged the Motocomm mic and headset and plugged a earphone and themic that came with the 2820 in andtried to make a call. No dice. The person on the other end could not hear me at all.

The GPS works. The XM works. The MP3 player works. And the phone Bluetooths in just fine. The buzz is annoying as hell and the mic should be working. It did before.

I'm going to call Garmin in the morning and see what they tell me.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in