Garmin 2820 cable question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Garmin 2820 cable question

Since a lot of people have been buying the 2820, has anyone found, or made, a cable that will connect a wired mike via the intercom to the GPS?

I have an Intaride RP1 intercom. I see there may be an Autocom solution, a Baehr solution, and probably some others.

The cable I would need looks like 2 males at the GPS end, one being mic 2.5mm and the other being audio 3.5mm. The other end would need to be one 3.5 mm male. Looks like the mic and audio would share ground as it reduces to the single male at the intercom.

Also, I have the 2.5mm pigtail on the GPS power cord, I'm not sure if this will work but I think it is only mono audio out.

I have some HF 820's. I would like to eliminate that extra part in the system.

I've spent some time looking and haven't been able to nail it down.

Any ideas?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 8:56 am

Re: Garmin 2820 cable question

I made an adapter to go from the 2820 to my Motocomm. I found the tip of the 2820 plug and the tip of the Motocomm plug were both mic. The "band" is ground. You just need decent soldering skills to make the adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:04 pm

You should be able to get audio from the garmin motorcycle wiring harness to your headset.
Check with radioshak they may have the harness you need or fabricate one for you.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Pete and Doug.

So you guys are using your cell phone through the 2820 with a wired helmet headset?

Doug, If you are, can you save me some more time with info concerning your connectors used at both ends of the cable and which jacks you are using on the 2820? I got the part about the tip being the mic signal.

Appreciate it a ton.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:38 pm
Gold Supporter

I went to Radio Shack and bought a 3.5 male to male wire and a 2.5 adapter but make sure you get mono otherwise you will not be able to hear it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Just to be clearer guys -

I see no problem getting turn instruction audio from the 2820, which I really don't care to hear. I see getting the bluetooth phone headset/mic operational being a problem.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 21 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:12 am

I'm using the same power cord with the audio cable from my 2610 on my new 2820, and I'm getting a very annoying squeal - even witht he ignition turned off. I called Garmin and they suggested using the audio out jack on the 2820, so that's the direction I'm going.

I went to Radio Shack and picked up a 2.5mm plug (actually there's 2 to a pack) and an inline 3.5mm jack (actually 2 to a pack). I snipped about a 3" piece of shielded cable off an old audio cable that has RCA plugs on it. All I needed was a small piece of 2 conductor shielded cable and this worked perfectly. The tricky part was soldering the wires to the 2.5 plug. Use the center conductor for the mic (tip) and the shield wire for the ground. The jack is wired the same way. Make sure your jack and plug are both mono and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Marshall, Tx

post #8 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 6:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I'm using the same power cord with the audio cable from my 2610 on my new 2820, and I'm getting a very annoying squeal - even witht he ignition turned off. I called Garmin and they suggested using the audio out jack on the 2820, so that's the direction I'm going.

I went to Radio Shack and picked up a 2.5mm plug (actually there's 2 to a pack) and an inline 3.5mm jack (actually 2 to a pack). I snipped about a 3" piece of shielded cable off an old audio cable that has RCA plugs on it. All I needed was a small piece of 2 conductor shielded cable and this worked perfectly. The tricky part was soldering the wires to the 2.5 plug. Use the center conductor for the mic (tip) and the shield wire for the ground. The jack is wired the same way. Make sure your jack and plug are both mono and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Thanks Doug,

I'll use that info when I receive my unit.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Here is what I have learned since receiving my 2820 yesterday.

I don't care about stereo or mono right now, just trying to get audio as advertised.

Using a bluetooth headset to make cell phone calls works great. MP3 audio sounds good with BT headset connected. There is no XM audio with a BT headset connected. Not even on any type of audio speaker connected to the audio out jack on the 2820, or any other jack on the power cable or anywhere else on the 2820.

With a wired set of earbuds connected to the 2820 audio out jack and the Garmin microphone connected to the mic jack on the 2820 a BT phone call can take place and XM and MP3 audio works. However, the audio quality is horrible compared to a BT headset. No engine running or not even connected to a vehicle.

This is the rub, this cable arrangement will not work with intercom systems. There must be an adapter such as Autocom makes that has 2 male plugs at the GPS end and 1 male at the intercom end with probably a mixer in between. I would suspect that this setup would have all kinds of noise without GLI's installed. And even then probably still some static getting through. Hell there is even a low hum without the engine running or if connected to an AC outlet only.

Why is this product marketed as bluetooth, gps, mp3, and xm but these features do not all work together. This is not the result of too many hardware options to comply with. A simple correction in the 2820 circuitry or software would separate these signals correctly. So can someone explain why Garmin chose to allow mp3 audio but not xm? And please don't say it's bandwidth. After the signal is received in can be transmitted at a level that could match mp3 quality.

What I really can't believe is that the members of this forum as well as ADVrider, will berate BMW for final drives, wobbles, clutches and so on but find it completely acceptable to purchase a Garmin unit that will only perform partially as advertised. As BHO says, " That is fundamentally unsound"

So, if I'm wrong and the 2820 does EVERYTHING Garmin says it will do for you, not just partial performance that is "all you need", I would still love to hear from you.

Heck, after 3 calls to XM my unit still will not receive navtraffic and navweather signals. All other stations are fine.

Most of these problems are documented here and there on the net, but I can never find truly final solutions. I can't believe that many of us will just say "oh well, I guess I just won't use that feature, even though I paid good money for it."

I'm really looking forward to some of your responses/experiences.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 2:57 pm

John, I'm a little confused about what is not working. Are setting the audio to line out or headphones?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
John, I'm a little confused about what is not working. Are setting the audio to line out or headphones?

Hi Mike, thanks for responding.

I have tried both settings. I would assume headset must be set for a headset and line out for the 3.5mm jack.

What is not working is this - with a paired phone and paired headset the xm audio is not there, anywhere.

I've asked here a couple times and haven't got a reply that indicates any single user is connecting their cell phone via BT to the 2820 and is able to hear audio from the navigation instructions and the mp3 and the audiobooks and xm radio all via the helmet headset. Of course not all at the same time.

Is all this working for you?

Since I have seen this problem posted in various places on the net I believe there are some hard wired solutions But, are all sources of audio really available?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 4:46 pm

I have not activated the XM subscription yet, but just assumed it to work like the mp3 player. But I have tried with my Razor BT phone, and was able to hear the phone great, the mp3, and the nav instructions via the line out connection to the Baehr intercom. The Nav instructions over ride the mp3. I do not have BT headset. Sounds like you may have a bad garmin. Have you tried testing without the intercom? Try it with the car setup via the line out? If you eliminate all the non-gamin stuff and its still not working, then I'd say you got a bad unit.

The "line out" setting goes to the split power/sound adapter, NOT the plug on the side of the 2820. Its the y cable one end slides into the connector on the back and has a 2.5mm cable spit off that and runs to the intercom. The car cable runs to the speaker in the cigarette lighter power adapter.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Feb 8th, 2009 at 4:52 pm. Reason: adding info
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the connections for the 2820 are the same as the Zumo's? If so the Zumo connection options have been discussed on the Zumo forums, http://www.zumoforums.com/

Seems like Autocom had a connector when the Zumo was first introduced, with a different part number for the older Autocoms and for the 2006 models. I want to say there is a third option from Autocom now but I'm not sure. Whether any of the Autocom parts would be compatible with another brand of intercom, I could not say.

I ran a cable from the audio out jack on my Zumo cradle into my stereo. To get the mike input, I connected a Motorola HF820 to the phone jack on my Autocom. I'd prefer not to have something else to keep recharging, but it works pretty well.
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I have not activated the XM subscription yet, but just assumed it to work like the mp3 player. But I have tried with my Razor BT phone, and was able to hear the phone great, the mp3, and the nav instructions via the line out connection to the Baehr intercom.
Thanks Mike,

Maybe it will in your case. As long as you have no bluetooth headset you may be fine. That's the killer.

Do I have this right? Your razor is paired to the 2820, then you have a line out cable from your wye jack to an input in your Baehr?

What is the Baehr input you are using designed for? GPS input or music?

If all works fine like that, I'd guess the price of a Baehr intercom is coming into effect over an Intaride RP1.

But anyway, my set up via the bluetooth headset works just as well as yours, until xm is in the equation. The sound is awesome as well.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Thanks Mike,

Maybe it will in your case. As long as you have no bluetooth headset you may be fine. That's the killer.

Do I have this right? Your razor is paired to the 2820, then you have a line out cable from your wye jack to an input in your Baehr?

What is the Baehr input you are using designed for? GPS input or music?

If all works fine like that, I'd guess the price of a Baehr intercom is coming into effect over an Intaride RP1.

But anyway, my set up via the bluetooth headset works just as well as yours, until xm is in the equation. The sound is awesome as well.
That's correct, Im not using a BT headset. Yes, you got it right my razor paried to the 2820. So I don't have the same set up as you. I remember Joe, messy13 uncovering an issue about a BT headset and output selection on the 2820, you may be running into the same thing he too had an intraride.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Am I correct in thinking that the connections for the 2820 are the same as the Zumo's? If so the Zumo connection options have been discussed on the Zumo forums, http://www.zumoforums.com/

Seems like Autocom had a connector when the Zumo was first introduced, with a different part number for the older Autocoms and for the 2006 models. I want to say there is a third option from Autocom now but I'm not sure. Whether any of the Autocom parts would be compatible with another brand of intercom, I could not say.

I ran a cable from the audio out jack on my Zumo cradle into my stereo. To get the mike input, I connected a Motorola HF820 to the phone jack on my Autocom. I'd prefer not to have something else to keep recharging, but it works pretty well.

Thanks Weyman, I too have a HF820, are you using the XM feature on the Zumo? Not exactly apples and apples, just curious.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That's correct, Im not using a BT headset. Yes, you got it right my razor paried to the 2820. So I don't have the same set up as you. I remember Joe, messy13 uncovering an issue about a BT headset and output selection on the 2820, you may be running into the same thing he too had an intraride.
All right Mike, I'm going to try something else. Does your Baehr have a phone input, and is that what your using? Also, out through the wye jack right?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:15 pm

John is this the issue?

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=2820

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for your time Mike. Yes, that's the same deal. I'm going to call Joe and see if he got anywhere with that. If anyone can, the phone guy can.

On another note, I just tried another connection type that doesn't work.

What are you using for a mic on your razor when paired to the 2820?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #20 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I just got my XM working today and found out that you have to have the audio out set to headphones to hear voice over that line. If it's set to lineout, all I can hear is the music. Weird. I have not tried it with everything hooked up yet, but here's what I have planned:

- bluetooth the iPhone to the 2820
- connect the mic input on the 2820 to the cellphone input on my Motocomm using that little adapter I made
- take the audio out from the 2820 and run it to the mp3 input on the Motocomm

I'm hoping I don't have the noise via the audio out that I've had using that audio jack on the power connector. According to Garmin, yuo should be using the audio out and not that connector on the power cable. We'll see.

John, which Bluetooth headset are you using?

Marshall, Tx

post #21 of 21 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I just got my XM working today and found out that you have to have the audio out set to headphones to hear voice over that line. If it's set to lineout, all I can hear is the music. Weird. I have not tried it with everything hooked up yet, but here's what I have planned:

- bluetooth the iPhone to the 2820
- connect the mic input on the 2820 to the cellphone input on my Motocomm using that little adapter I made
- take the audio out from the 2820 and run it to the mp3 input on the Motocomm

I'm hoping I don't have the noise via the audio out that I've had using that audio jack on the power connector. According to Garmin, yuo should be using the audio out and not that connector on the power cable. We'll see.

John, which Bluetooth headset are you using?
Hi again Doug.

I'm using the Motorola HF820 headset adapter. This thing enables me to run a cable from it to the Intaride intercom for great phone performance.

I see what your trying to do. I think things can work, as long as one stays away from a bluetooth headset. Your experience with the XM and the audio out jack with the headset setting is the same as mine.

Keep us posted please.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in