BMW Motorrad Navigator III - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

BMW Motorrad Navigator III

I am considering buying a used Navigator III for my RT. I would appreciate any in site anyone can give me who has one. How you like it etc. Thanks for your help.

08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
07 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Re: BMW Motorrad Navigator III

As a GPS sort of guy I can tell you that having one is fun, useful and adds quite a bit to your experience if you tour a lot.

IIRC the BMW Navigators are re-branded Garmin units. The original price for the BMW items was high... quite a bit more then equivalent Garmins, so if the price is really low you and if the kit includes all the mountsing hardware and plug n play wires you may have a good deal.

If stuff is not resent and/or is not complete you may do better price wisw on a used Garmin unit.

The Garmin Zumo 550 was designed for motorcycles and if I might take the liberty to say so- it is the preferred unit for us. Garmin has just released the 660 and there may be some 550s available now or soon.

GPS units are somewhat like oil... everyone has an opinion....

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 7:21 am

What do you want it to do?? They have a lot of options, ie weather, XM, blue tooth etc...........

I have 376C, which I like because of the weather large screen and XM. I wish it had blue tooth, but when I got it blue tooth did not interest me back then.

Like Hopz stated like oil, somebody will have an opinion. Get what you want, GPS you can not go wrong.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 7:38 am

I've still got the original Street Pilot III that I bought with my 02. It's very old technology and very slow to recalculate, but I use it primarily to get home it's like a gas guage to me, only look at it when absolutely necessary.

They are fun to play with and I'm probably going to get a new one someday with all of the features like the weather and satellite music, but that too will be old as soon as I buy it! I'm always on the trailing edge of high tech.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 9:32 am

I guess I should mention that the older Garmin/Nav III units use a chip set from earlier history. The result of this is much slower satellite acquisition... (you may be there before it knows where you are) and much slower recalculation.

Other things too....

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 8:34 pm

I have experience with the Garmin 2820. The BMW option was a bit too tall for me. The 2820 is very capable, and easily managed while riding (my bad), along with bluetooth. It doesn't have the fancy buttons, no problem. Placement of the unit, instead of being at the base of the handlebars (on the BMW clamp - which I have) is now on an accessory shelf.
Safe travels.

BMW F650GS
V-Star 650
BMW '07 R1200RT (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deceased October 23, 2009)
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqfan
I am considering buying a used Navigator III for my RT. I would appreciate any in site anyone can give me who has one. How you like it etc. Thanks for your help.
If you are buying older technology be sure that it is at the newest map version and supports the newest map updates or it is such a good deal that you will put up with the older map versions. You cannot upgrade the maps without spending money so add that cost into the price you are seeing for any used units. It may be significantly better (cheaper) to buy a refurb from Garmin that has the latest maps available to update for free. You will also have a warranty..

I had an SP III is daily use up until this year when I tried to buy current maps there was none available for this model. So it's days were numbered and I upgraded.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:12 am

BEWARE THE BMW RE-BRANDED UNITS!

Perhaps this has been fixed by now? I used to have the Navigator III on my '06 LT. Nothing wrong with the BMW version except when it came time to update the maps. NEVER did get it to work. Got my money back from Garmin with a reluctant admission that their map update WOULD NOT WORK ON THE BMW UNIT. What a pain! Other than that, it was okay. Never really figured out how to use the blue tooth functionality with a cell phone. Okay though. Cell phones and motorcycles don't mix IMHO. Besides, who want to talk to work while out on a ride? Not me. Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 8:22 am

Love my Nav III.
I use it on my GSA and LT and also autos, and rental cars while on vacation. It comes with a dash beanbag mount.

Yesterday at the M/C show in Chicago my BMW dealer parts guy was there and told me that along with the Zumo, BMW still has the Nav III, now with more features including traffic and the price is lower than before. The car dash kit for the Zumo is extra $$ 110.00

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in