Zuma 550 questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Dug

Zumo 550 questions

I think this has been covered several times over. I have been reading posts for 2 days and now I am so confused...

My wife bought me the Zumo 550 for Christmas and after reading all the posts I'm not sure I should use this??

I have a 2006 LT with the Voice II (I believe?) I guess from reading that it is a great GPS but does not support/work with the comm system? I do listen to the radio thru the wired headphones and I do use the intercom to talk to my wife/passenger. I have a separate XM receiver that I was going to hook up this winter but if I could use the Zuma that seems like it would be better.

So.... Have I got the right one or should I send it back? I like the features of the Zuma 550.

Any thoughts or guidance would be great.

Dug

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:58 am

Re: Zumo 550 questions

Hello Neighbor.

I can be confusing. Look at it this way; your VOICE II is the hub of a wheel and the Zumo is one spoke, or connection, into that hub. Your exact configuration will depend upon what you wish to achieve long term.

Often members will utilize the aux jack of the VOICE II for audio input. Other considerations include Bluetooth versus wired, sporting an iPod or MP3 player, things like this.

Feel free to contact me; we can figure it out.

DJF

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:06 pm.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Doug

I've been there and done that with my o6 Lt and found the simplest works best.
Mounted the 550 on bmw mount on sting ray, plugged 550 in to the aux. jack.

I ran all wiring under plastic for clean install, I use the speedo screen on freeways

The wife can hear Traffic guide and xm radio, she can control xm volume from the back seat.

I would not trade back to my 2720

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:33 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
Dug

Re: Zuma 550 questions

So... I guess that would be 2 votes for keeping it? I just want to make sure that I can still use the intercom and radio. I don't want to hook it up and find that I made a bad choice.

As always thanks guys,

Doug
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2008, 11:09 am

If you have the xm antenna GXM 30 you will find it is great with the 550 zumo.
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2008, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2up
Doug

I've been there and done that with my o6 Lt and found the simplest works best.
Mounted the 550 on bmw mount on sting ray, plugged 550 in to the aux. jack.

I ran all wiring under plastic for clean install, I use the speedo screen on freeways

The wife can hear Traffic guide and xm radio, she can control xm volume from the back seat.

I would not trade back to my 2720
This is just the standard Garmin Zumo 550? I have an 07 LT that thas the "prep kit" on the stingray for the Navigator III. Is this the mount that you mention using? Did you have to use some form of adaptor or will the standard Zumo 550 mount to the mount intended for the Navigator III?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Voyager

The Zumo mount will bolt right up to the stingray mount, no problem. I did add a bracket or pad for the GXM 30 antenna, slid it in between the two mounts. It places the antenna right behind the Zumo.
I believe Cycle Gadgets can provide one of those.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 1:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2up
Voyager

The Zumo mount will bolt right up to the stingray mount, no problem. I did add a bracket or pad for the GXM 30 antenna, slid it in between the two mounts. It places the antenna right behind the Zumo.
I believe Cycle Gadgets can provide one of those.
I didn't realize the antenna was separate from the Zumo. Can you use the connector that is prewiredwith the Navigator III prep kit or must I wire in the Zumo 550 seaprately? I will check out Cycle Gadgets.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 3:16 pm

I thought about using that power source but seemed too envolved with the intercom,xm ect. I do not believe there is an adepter for that connection.

Some use the map light as a power source.[Hard to get to.] I spliced into the left running light, powers off when key is off.

The Antenna is described as a Garmin GXM-30 Smart Antenna, It's about the size of hockey puck with a long wire lead that will plug into Zumo mount.

The intercom lead from the zumo connects from the zumo mount to the aux. jack next to your cd player, may have to cut a small hole get wire in there.

CycleGadget.com will sell GXM. $$

Their are a lot of pictures etc of zumo install back a ways in this form and the zumo form.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in