Wired or Bluetooth? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Question Wired or Bluetooth?

My Zumo 550 is on the way. Now I need to figure out how to listen to it.

My primary goals are cellphone, music, and directions, in roughly that order. Someday I'd also like to add a passenger intercom to the setup. Most of my riding is a twice daily 30-minute commute.

After reading countless threads, I'm torn between going Bluetooth (probably with a Camos BTS200 and a wirevo adapter), or wired (probably with Starcom Advanced).

I suppose a third option is to just wait for BT headsets to improve, e.g. to support replaceable batteries (!!).

Any advice? The wired setups sound like a pain to install, and I'm not fond of having a cable dangling from my helmet, but they also seem likely to have the best sound and be the most reliable. It's probably cheaper to add an intercom to them, as well. But Bluetooth is cheaper to start with, at least for just one helmet. And it's cordless!

Anyone here have experience with both setups? Are there pros and cons I might not be aware of?

-Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 9:47 am

Re: Wired or Bluetooth?

Brett

If you must have music, phone and directions the only good option is a wired setup. Bluetooth just has not advanced enough to give you the music quality, not even sure there is a bluetooth system available to do it.
A wired system is the way to go, for now, if music is important.
I had a Autocom system on my LT, and had nothing but trouble, sometimes it would work and sometimes not.
Presently I have an RT no radio, too distracting for me, with a Nav III and a Scala Rider Bluetooth headset, works great. Cell phone and Nav directions no problem. I would never go back to a wired system, forget to plug it in, forget to unplug just a pain for me. Just my $.02.

Tom

Tom McNulty
..sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes, the bear eats you....

2003 Silver K1200LT---Sold
AKA "Miss Piggy"
2006 Graphit Gray R1200RT
AKA "Piglet"
post #3 of 3 Old Dec 7th, 2008, 10:08 am

Re: Wired or Bluetooth?

If you are willing to spend the money, the AKE Innova does everything you are asking, and has a bluetooth headset option to communicate with the main system. This means that there are no wires connecting the helmet to the bike.
http://www.spoiledbiker.com/innova.html

I have spoken with a couple people in the know (?), and have been told that Starcom1 is coming out with their own bluetooth headset, but are basing it on BT v3 (480 Mbit/s per second). This would make the system significantly faster, the sound quality better, and the range greater than current bluetooth technology based on BT v2 (2.1 Mbit/s per second) allows.
http://www.starcom1.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in