Need a NavIII GPS Guru - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Need a NavIII GPS Guru

This is also posted at the BMWST forum

Well, after spending $200 so I can finally hear my NavIII GPS in my helmet, the darling lady in the GPS now won't talk to me very well.

Four days ago I installed a J&M headset in my helmet. Connected it to the bike and took a route I'd created earlier. Worked wonderfully well, including Gretchen's lovely voice providing me with helpful directions. For example, she'd say "In 2.8 miles turn right on Winchester Road". I took the same route a day or two later and she continued to perform well.

This afternoon I took another ride on the same route, with the same helmet. Now Gretchen is not as talkative as the previous rides. Now instead of the example above she says "In 2.8 miles" and leaves off the rest. Almost seems like she has only 1.0 second to speak. So, I pulled over, turned her off then back on, checked the connections in the headset, and started her up again. Same thing. I continued to ride for another 45 minutes with her directions continuing "short" as above, but then they started to be perfect for another hour. Ah, I figured all was well. But I was wrong, after another hour or so she again started shorting her directions to me.

Any ideas? I am TOTALLY confused on this. I've used speaking GPSs for about 5 yrs and have never had this happen, although this is my first text-to-speech GPS. With my previous non-text-to-speech I didn't use a headset but used the OEM power cord/speaker; never had a problem like this.

Also, any idea what GPS units are compatible with the NavIII cradle. I never use those four buttons on the cradle, so if that's not compatible I could care less. I also don't use BoothTooth nor do I need XM or weather or traffic in the GPS - but I like the other features of the NavIII - text-to-speech and 3D presentation. I ask because if this thing is busted and off warranty, which I suspect, I'll just replace it with something else at about quarter the price BMW charges. :/

Thanks.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Re: Need a NavIII GPS Guru

I guess I can now consider myself a guru.........

I can't believe it but after 10 minutes of fiddling around with the unit on battery (motor not running) I solved the mystery.

The first two trips I had the volume set at 50%. Speech perfect.
The trip today the volume was set at 30%. Speech not perfect.

I played around with the volume settings, going between 30, 40 and 50% quickly and pressing the Speak button enough to verify the VOLUME setting is what is affecting what she will say. Weird.

This makes absolutely no sense at all, but I'm posting it here in case someone else has a similar problem.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 9:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek
Also, any idea what GPS units are compatible with the NavIII cradle. I never use those four buttons on the cradle, so if that's not compatible I could care less. I also don't use BoothTooth nor do I need XM or weather or traffic in the GPS - but I like the other features of the NavIII - text-to-speech and 3D presentation. I ask because if this thing is busted and off warranty, which I suspect, I'll just replace it with something else at about quarter the price BMW charges. :/

Thanks.
Although it looks like you may have resolved your problem, if you find that you need to replace your NAVlll, the Garmin StreetPilots 2720, 2730 and 2820 fit in the BMW cradle but do not work with the cradle buttons. They all have text-to-speech and 3D presentation.

Even though your unit may be out of warranty, before replacing your NAV lll, you might want to call Garmin telephone support. They were very helpful when I had an issue with my 2820 even though it was out of warranty by six months or so.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
.. if you find that you need to replace your NAVlll, the Garmin StreetPilots 2720, 2730 and 2820 fit in the BMW cradle but do not work with the cradle buttons. They all have text-to-speech and 3D presentation. ..
Thanks, just what I needed to know. I've seen the 2720s on sale on eBay recently for about $120 and I've considered getting one as a spare. But then I already have a 2610 I use in the truck, and a Quest that's sitting around already if I rent a motorcycle or travel and rent a car.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in