For Mac Users - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:07 am Thread Starter

For Mac Users

Are any of you Mac users out there using Route Buddy for route planning, selecting waypoints, etc. to transfer to your Garmin? The Road Trip software that Garmin is offering as a Mapsource for Mac alternative stinks, if you ask me.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Last edited by Ranger6; Nov 19th, 2008 at 7:48 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:50 am

Re: For Mac Users

I've been hunting for route software for my iMac but haven't found any I want yet. How did you choose yours? Oh, I have the Garmin 2730.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 8:06 am Thread Starter

I am a recent Mac convert, almost a year now with a new desktop, and have recently decided to go the full route with one of the new Macbooks to use for travel. Up until this move, I had a PC laptop with Mapsource and all my unlocked maps I could use for route planning and waypoint management on the road. The first process was to naturally convert and migrate my maps from the PC environment to the new Macbook, but the software you are left with and forced to use once there is the recently released "RoadTrip", formerly known as Project Bobcat in beta form. I just personally think Road Trip is a half-assed attempt at a solution and possesses no where near the functionality of Mapsource. So, I guess the answer to your question is that I had no choice in my choice of software because RoadTrip is all they (Garmin) are offering right now. It may be just me and not holding my mouth just right when using this application, but I just don't like it.

Which brings up the question of Route Buddy , an application developed by a third party vendor exclusively for the Mac. I am willing to try it, but at $150 to get up and running, it better be good, you know?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:03 pm

I'll check with some of my Mac buds and get back to you.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
I am a recent Mac convert, almost a year now with a new desktop, and have recently decided to go the full route with one of the new Macbooks to use for travel. Up until this move, I had a PC laptop with Mapsource and all my unlocked maps I could use for route planning and waypoint management on the road. The first process was to naturally convert and migrate my maps from the PC environment to the new Macbook, but the software you are left with and forced to use once there is the recently released "RoadTrip", formerly known as Project Bobcat in beta form. I just personally think Road Trip is a half-assed attempt at a solution and possesses no where near the functionality of Mapsource. So, I guess the answer to your question is that I had no choice in my choice of software because RoadTrip is all they (Garmin) are offering right now. It may be just me and not holding my mouth just right when using this application, but I just don't like it.

Which brings up the question of Route Buddy , an application developed by a third party vendor exclusively for the Mac. I am willing to try it, but at $150 to get up and running, it better be good, you know?

Where did you get the $150 price at...did I miss something?

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin
Where did you get the $150 price at...did I miss something?
You have to buy the basic mapping application ($99.00), and then buy the detailed maps you want, in my case the USA mapset at $49.50

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:42 am
Bouncer

Garmin RoadTrip works just fine. And if you are using a Garmin product anyway, it's the only way you're going to get routes into your GPS.

If you're just looking for a mapping tool, Route Buddy works okay. If you are used to using Delorme's PC product, you'll be happy -- Route Buddy is on par with it. If you used to using MS Streets & Trips, you'll be disappointed.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #8 of 20 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Hey Jeff,

Maybe that's the problem, because I am used to MS Streets. But now Route Buddy does claim, on their site anyway, to be able to transfer routes, waypoints, tracks, etc.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 8:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Does anyone know of a user document for Garmin's RoadTrip? I'm having problems knowing what keystrokes to use, such as terminating the routing function. In MapSource it's the right-click that pulls up a menu to quit out of it. On the Mac there's no right-click and Command-click doesn't do it either.
Thanks for any help with this,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Does anyone know of a user document for Garmin's RoadTrip? I'm having problems knowing what keystrokes to use, such as terminating the routing function. In MapSource it's the right-click that pulls up a menu to quit out of it. On the Mac there's no right-click and Command-click doesn't do it either.
Thanks for any help with this,
Jer
Hey Jer...I fam ar from an being proficient at all with Garmin's Road Trip but I just played a little and created a route. I ended a route by Right Clicking. It put a flag there for me. I closed the window using the red button and the route calculated.

I guess what I can answer with regard to your question is that the Mac mouse can be configured with a right click function.

It is not intuitively obvious but there is a Right click function for the mouse. You need to go to Systems Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse - Mouse (Tab). You will see a picture of the mouse controls (There are actually 5 mouse buttons if you have a "Mighty Mouse" with the roller ball, although it isn't apparent).

While in System Preferences looking at the view of the mouse from the top, on the right there is a drop down menu that you can set so the right side of the mouse acts as the "Secondary Button." If you set that to Secondary Button which is in the selections, the mouse will have a "right click" function similar to Windoze. If you put pressure on the right side of the mouse, as you hover over something, a "Context Sensitive" menu will pop up just like in Windoze. In Road Trip it apparently acts like an Escape key to end a route leg that you are dragging.

The mouse just doesn't provide any visual clues that there is a left and right side that can be clicked independently.

By the way, I still use Mapsource on the remaining PC in my house. I much prefer it over Road Trip especially after spending all the agonizing time learning it.

Jim

Edit added below. (from Road Trip Help menu)
"You can use the Route Tool to create a route by clicking points on the map.

To create a route using the Route Tool:
Click the Route Tool.
Click the starting point for your route. The Route Properties dialog box appears.
Click to add additional points to the route.
When you are finished, save the route by pressing ESC on your keyboard or by right-clicking (if your mouse supports right-clicking).
Routes are saved in the selected folder."

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jim ...Ah, the escape key. That's what I was looking for. I'm not sure if I want to toggle the mouse for this, I kinda like the simplicity.

Thanks for the reply and for the heads-up on the help menu. Duh!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:34 pm

Cool Re: For Mac Users

While we are talking 'Road Trip' - I too became a Mac convert about a year ago, but couldnt seem to find anything to help with producing routes on the iMac & sending to my Zumo 550.

Then I found Road Trip, which I down loaded - only to find I had to pay about $150 for full mapping & functionality. Having said all that, I'm quite pleased with the end product. However, I've come across a problem I can't seem to 'fathom' & it's driving me nuts.

I spent hours creating a cross country trip as a future project. Creating the route & folder were all simple enough. After a few hours planning, I saved everything & shut down Road Trip. However, when I opened up the program & the saved folder/route to continue planning the route further, I couldn't figure out how to carry on & extend my route to the eventual conclusion - not without creating a new route each time............

Please, has anyone sorted that one out?

Brian Blackwell
Stony Plain. AB

2007 Triumph Rocket III (Rozza)
2009 BMW R1200GSA (Gertie)
2009 BRP CanAm Spyder (Wendy's mount)
2009 Ski-Doo GTX 500SS (Well some of us can't ride all year round!)

‘We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.’
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun42
[snip]...I spent hours creating a cross country trip as a future project. Creating the route & folder were all simple enough. After a few hours planning, I saved everything & shut down Road Trip. However, when I opened up the program & the saved folder/route to continue planning the route further, I couldn't figure out how to carry on & extend my route to the eventual conclusion - not without creating a new route each time............

Please, has anyone sorted that one out?
I just tried to extend an existing route that I had in RoadTrip and it appeared to be successful.

In my example, I created a new waypoint using the Waypoint tool. In my example it is the blue flag on route 80. I then switched to the selector tool, clicked on my previous route (which ended by the icon that looks like a bicycle and rider) and dragged the route to the new (blue flag) waypoint icon. The new icon then showed up in the "Via Point" dialog box. You can arrange the via points in the box by dragging them up or down.

I attached a screen shot (Picture1.png) that may help clarify. When I clicked on the route a "tip" popped up which I was able to capture also.

FYI...I further extended the route simply by dragging the route further down I80. The dragging created a new waypoint when I released the mouse button. I did that twice and the program added "I-80 W1" and I-80 W2. to the via point box. I had to rearrange the new waypoints so they made sense. Clicking on "Directions" tab causes the route to recalculate. (See Picture2.png)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	32
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	22325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	30
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	22326  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #14 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 1:40 am

Very many thanks Jim, I'll give that a go in the morning.

Brian Blackwell
Stony Plain. AB

‘We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.’
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 6:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I saved everything & shut down Road Trip.
Is there an overt action needed to save a route or is the act of exiting the folder good enough?

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #16 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:11 am

Hi Jer,

I'm still 'tinkering' with this program, but to my knowledge exiting the folder automatically saves the data. That has certainly been my experience with the few routes I have experimented with.

Cheers.
Brian

Brian Blackwell
Stony Plain. AB

post #17 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Having received help from Jim with my route editing problem, I also received a response from the Garmin Product Support team. Here is their solution, thought it might be useful for those of us with Mac's & Road Trip:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Currently the only way to
add to an existing route in RoadTrip is to add waypoints to your
existing route. These waypoints can be added by dragging them from the
toolbar on the left into the Route Properties window. You can change
their order in the Route Properties window.

I've tried it & it works. I think in essence it is the same idea as you put forward Jim Hope this helps.

Brian Blackwell
Stony Plain. AB

post #18 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Having received help from Jim with my route editing problem, I also received a response from the Garmin Product Support team. Here is their solution, thought it might be useful for those of us with Mac's & Road Trip:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Currently the only way to
add to an existing route in RoadTrip is to add waypoints to your
existing route. These waypoints can be added by dragging them from the
toolbar on the left into the Route Properties window. You can change
their order in the Route Properties window.

I've tried it & it works. I think in essence it is the same idea as you put forward Jim Hope this helps.
Thanks Brian...I'm still tinkering with RoadTrip also. I got frustrated with it last year when it was in beta and wound up using Mapsource on my old PC to create a series of tentative daily routes to the West coast last year. After spending a lot of time working in MapSource I began to like it despite the fact that it is a Windoze based software program.

I'll spend more time with RoadTrip when I am able. My main concern is that it seems sluggish. But I will reserve final judgment until after I give it a sincere effort. Your and Jerry's questions have been helpful to me also since it caused me to take another look at Roadtrip.

Regards,
Jim

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #19 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 7:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

I worked with it some more last night. Was able to move a route that was created with having you take an exit, only to enter that same road again. With the route select pointer I was able to just slide the route over to stay on the road.
Thanks for confirming the save mechanism. Just something I guess I have to get used to with this application, whereas with MapSource there's an overt save.
I also find RoadTrip to be sluggish. I even downloaded their new update, but it had little affect on the slowness of zooming.
I think I have the whole import/new file creation down, but until I complete the trip that I've downloaded via MapSource to the GPS, I'm not going go there with RoadTrip just yet.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #20 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Glad to have been of some assistance guys. I will just have to soldier on with Road Trip & hope Garmin improve this software. I sort of 'burnt my bridges' by going 'Mac' & now don't have a PC in the house. On the whole I think Road Trip will be ok, but it's still early days.

Ride safe, maybe catch up with you both at CCR09.

Cheers
Brian

Brian Blackwell
Stony Plain. AB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in