Nav III - loading Mexico maps? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

Question Nav III - loading Mexico maps?

I am planning a trip into Mexico and went to Garmin site to see if I could add Mexico maps. Support at Garmin says their Mexico maps don't work on the Nav III but hinted that some other third party products might work. Does anyone know of a product and has installed it successfully without damaging the North American data already installed?

Thanks

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:50 am

Re: Nav III - loading Mexico maps?

I don't see why Garmin's City Navigator NT Mexico maps wouldn't work with the Nav III. I think maybe the Garmin support person you got was just looking at the list of Garmin products and didn't see the Nav III so assumed it wasn't compatible. But the Nav III is more or less a StreetPilot 2820, and that's shown on their compatibility list.

I looked at the Garmin City Navigator NT North America page, and they also don't list the Nav III, but I have that product (map upgrade for '08) and the maps work just fine with the Nav III.

If you're worried you could try again and maybe get a better Garmin support person...
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. I'll ask them again but I thought perhaps why it worked with a 2820 is that the additional maps were loaded to your storage memory where the mp3 files would also go. When I connect the Nav III to my computer it does not show up as a removable memory storage.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:48 am

There's additional memory in the Nav III, there's just no MP3 interface. You can download the detailed maps from other locations into the Nav III. Hopefully someone else has already been through this with other map sets and can post a more definitive answer.
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Also FWIW you normally use the MapSource program to load the maps, not USB mass storage, so it should just work even if the Nav III doesn't show up on the desktop, it still shows up in MapSource.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again Bob. I now have a response from Garmin that indicates their City Navigator Mexico NT product should work for the exact reason that you mentioned - it is very similar to the 2820. But during my research I have learned from some of the threads on the Adventure Riders site that a third party product by bicimapas.com may be superior in detail and accuracy. I am currently trying to learn from them whether this will work on my Nav III.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in