RAM clutch reservoir cover/alternate mounts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 9:21 am Thread Starter

RAM clutch reservoir cover/alternate mounts

I'm adding a 2820 to my '03 LT. I already have the BMW co-pilot shelf which mounts the SP3 that came with the bike. I'm running the '09 Iron Butt Rally and need to keep the SP3 hot wired for rally-long average speed data and would prefer to keep it on the co-pilot.

The RAM mount that replaces the reservoir cover looks great (looks like a custom BMW part) but I was wondering if the weight of the 2820 would overstress the entire clutch fluid housing? Has anyone used this mount with long-term success?

Another option I've considered is moving the SP3 to the right on the co-pilot and mounting the 2820 on the left side. However, I wonder if the co-pilot can handle the weight of two GPS units?

Still a third option I've looked at is the BMR trivet tray that mounts over the stingray. Has anyone used this device and what is your feedback?

I've read some of the posts on wiring the various GPS units. I hot wired the 2820 and used an extra BMW SP3 cord, just the 2.5mm jack, to jack into the 2820s audio plug. I plugged the 3-prong end of the BMW SP3 cord into the BMWComm system connector and I hear the 2820 fine thru my helmet speakers. If need be, I have the 12v available at the "barrell" end of the SP3 cord from which I'm only using the separate audio jack portion.

Any feedback on the mounts would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Re: RAM clutch reservoir cover/alternate mounts

I used only 3 of the longer RAM screws for mounting the RAM mount onto the clutch reservoir. Each screw has a 1/4 spacer between the mount and the reservoir cap; I decided I wanted at least 1 OEM screw holding the reservoir cap on.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm

The RAM mount fits over the top of the clutch reservoir cover, separated by small spacers. Longer screws come with the mount, snug them down and no problem found so far; no loosening of the screws, no rattles, no shaking.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLT
I'm adding a 2820 to my '03 LT. I already have the BMW co-pilot shelf which mounts the SP3 that came with the bike. I'm running the '09 Iron Butt Rally and need to keep the SP3 hot wired for rally-long average speed data and would prefer to keep it on the co-pilot.

The RAM mount that replaces the reservoir cover looks great (looks like a custom BMW part) but I was wondering if the weight of the 2820 would overstress the entire clutch fluid housing? Has anyone used this mount with long-term success?

Another option I've considered is moving the SP3 to the right on the co-pilot and mounting the 2820 on the left side. However, I wonder if the co-pilot can handle the weight of two GPS units?

Still a third option I've looked at is the BMR trivet tray that mounts over the stingray. Has anyone used this device and what is your feedback?

I've read some of the posts on wiring the various GPS units. I hot wired the 2820 and used an extra BMW SP3 cord, just the 2.5mm jack, to jack into the 2820s audio plug. I plugged the 3-prong end of the BMW SP3 cord into the BMWComm system connector and I hear the 2820 fine thru my helmet speakers. If need be, I have the 12v available at the "barrell" end of the SP3 cord from which I'm only using the separate audio jack portion.

Any feedback on the mounts would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA
Have you seen THIS? Looks like it which will allow mounting a RAM ball over the two hydraulic handle bar units. I am considering getting two for the occasional mounting of a video or still camera, etc.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in