Odd Zumo Behavior - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Odd Zumo Behavior

I ran several errands today on my R1200RT. After the first stop - about 20 minutes off the bike, when I got back on I noticed my Zumo was on. It was showing the screen that has 2 icons - "where to" and "map". I thought maybe I must have done something with the key or activated it somehow, I always turn off the Zumo when I get off the bike.

Next stop, a little over thirty minutes off the bike. I come out and sure enough, it's on and showing the same screen again.

Next stop, five minutes. I turned off the Zumo, made sure the screen was black. Come out to the bike, it's on again.

Came home, turned off the Zumo. Went to the garage and looked ten minutes later, it's on. I turned it off and it stayed off now.

I never noticed this before, the Zumo only turned itself on when I switched the key on. Any idea what's up?

BMW '08 R1200RT...his
BMW '08 F800ST...hers
Ducati 848 '08 Superbike...all mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 7:58 pm

Cool Re: Odd Zumo Behavior

Perhaps your routine is to turn off the Zumo, then turn off the key to the bike. In that time, the zumo senses that there is power to it. Then when you turn the bike key off, the zumo goes to battery power.

On second thought, that won't explain it because the zumo asks if you want to continue on battery power, if you fail to answer, I think it turns off.

Did that help???????????????
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Re: Odd Zumo Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
Perhaps your routine is to turn off the Zumo, then turn off the key to the bike. In that time, the zumo senses that there is power to it. Then when you turn the bike key off, the zumo goes to battery power.

On second thought, that won't explain it because the zumo asks if you want to continue on battery power, if you fail to answer, I think it turns off.

Did that help???????????????

Thanks...but no help. I shut the engine off, then turn off the Zumo. I've only had the bike a few weeks but I'm fairly certain this didn't happen before. I remember it asking if I want to continue on battery power after turning off the ignition.

BMW '08 R1200RT...his
BMW '08 F800ST...hers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:06 am

Garage

The Zumo turns on when the aux power is switched on and also when the aux power is switched off.

I think the Zumo is wired to a switched circuit; the canbus kills the circuit approx 1 - 2 minutes after you switch off the engine. If in the mean time you switch off the Zumo by its own button, it will switch on again as soon as the canbus kills the circuit that powers the Zumo.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks. That makes sense, maybe before I always waited bit longer before switching it off. I'll make a point of waiting 'til I've removed gloves, helmet and what not in the future before I switch the Zumo off.

BMW '08 R1200RT...his
BMW '08 F800ST...hers

post #6 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 9:04 am

Garage

If the canbus kills the circuit, the zumo switches to battery power. You're asked if you want the Zumo to continue operating on battery power or not. If you touch the 'no' button on the screen the Zumo switches off; press 'yes' and the Zumo will stay on. If you don't do anything the Zumo switches off automatically after 30 seconds.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in