GPS for Wife - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

GPS for Wife

Could someone recommend a GPS that would be suitable for a non tech person to use in a car. She (the wife) gets lost at times when going new places. I am hopping that if she can put in an address or point of interest this would really help (me to). I am just barley able to use my old SPIII. Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Re: GPS for Wife

I use the Magellan "crossover". Can be used in car or on the bike, as it is waterproof. Even my wife can use it.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 2:58 pm

I was just given a Magellan Roadmate 1200, and while I have one or another Garmin GPS in every vehicle I own, I tried the Magellan just for fun.

It seemed to me to be a much simpler interface than the Garmin Zumo/Nuvi line. Specifically it doesn't allow you to misspell a street or format it improperly. As soon as you enter each letter it dims out those that cannot be the next letter of a street in it's data base. Makes it MUCH simple to deal with addresses like "481 U.S. Highway 220 South", when there are multiple possible formats (i.e. 481 US Highway 220 South, 481 US Hwy 220 South, 481 U.S. Hwy 220 S. and so on.) The Garmin units will let you put in the wrong one and then search for it, not find it and make you try again. In the Magellan that address is US Hwy 220 S, and after the "U" the only key available is "S": you CAN'T try "U.S.".

If she's technophobic, it might be a good choice.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 2:59 pm

My SO got herself a Garmin Nuvi 350. She is not technical, but, she handles this fine. Never had to train her a bit!

I've used it and there is a "sand bag" kind of mount (extra not included with the package) that works great for the dashboard.

Although not waterproof, I've used the suction cup mount on the LT a few times.

Good Luck, they're cool inventions.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Any of the Garmin NUVIs will work very well for her. For one thing you can enter a home location and with a couple of touches it will take you home. Entering destination addresses is very easy. A loft of versions with more and more bells and whistles, but the basic one is great and inexpensive. Portable, battery or cigar lighter power.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Another vote for Garmin Nuvi. I have used multiple GPS's for many years in a 1967 Cessna and have a factory unit in the Bimmer. Nothing comes close to the Garmin; touchscreen ease of use, built-in speakers, voice turn by turn, rechargeable battery plus cigarette plug charger adaptor. It is so user friendly that the instruction manual is totally unnecessary. Wish the same could be said for the auto units such as BMW I-Drive and others.

Spend whatever you need for your desired screen size. The features don't change much with increasing $$. Most units use NavTec databases and the info can be updated on-line.

Good luck in your search.

Bruce
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Yup, Garmin NUVI...I got one for my wife, a NUVI 660 IIRC, after she got rid of her SUV with built-in Nav... (you could not ask it do do anything while on-route, what a stupid PIA deal that was...)

Anyway, Suzanne loves her NUVI, goes from home here in Michigan to NY or Philly to the flower show, or meets me on location, wherever. She has confidence it WILL get her there AND home again. Very cool.

Suzanne is NO Techo-Wiz, if she can use it...anyone can! PLUS, with its internal battery she can use it while walking somewhere to find a restaurant or whatever. I LOVE my 2720 but, for the girls, the NUVI is the THING!

Please burn my last comments!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Thank you one and all. I will look at the Nuvi they sound like just the thing. But then I will miss out on all the "How I Got lost and then found myself" stories.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 6:38 pm

TomTom is worth a look as well, my daughter has one and uses it for dog rescues in Chicago a lot. She is so technical she can barley start a car
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:27 pm

ok, I'll do it:

"I got a GPS for my wife...I think it was a good trade!"

You can get a refurbished TOM TOM One (same warranty) from radioshack.com for under $100. I got one for my spouse, one for my mother who can't even use a tv remote control, and both use them like pros...
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I'm not a Consumer Leader when it comes to purchasing new products on the market. I got my 2610 off ebay for $100 plus shipping.

Happy with the "old" model.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in