Stereo Bluetooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:18 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Stereo Bluetooth

So Gamin 2820 with XM running the Garmin through the AUX jack on the single cd on a 2007.

What Bluetooth provides stereo and good value?

I am sure this will be moved but wanted a bit of exposure before I spend a bunch of money.

Thanks for any help.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Stereo Bluetooth

All right then how about anyone with the Camos 200, or any experience with their older 600 models?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:48 pm.
post #3 of 21 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:39 pm

I do use the Camos 600 and like it quite a bit, but I'm not sure the 2820 provides stereo bluetooth output. The Camos supports AD2P (stereo) on the primary channel and mono (only) on the secondary channel.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I do use the Camos 600 and like it quite a bit, but I'm not sure the 2820 provides stereo bluetooth output. The Camos supports AD2P (stereo) on the primary channel and mono (only) on the secondary channel.
Thank you for the reply.

I then saw a well written review at the bottom of the page on the 600.

Seems the 200 is the newest in their line.

I just bought a pair of the 200's.

http://www.wirelessriders.com/bundles.php

Since I have the XM off the 2820 coming into my AUX jack in the oddments box, if I need to I think I can get a bluetooth adapter for that 1/8" stereo plug to get the XM to the ear speakers. All I want is Jams, and if the XM works then I know my I-Pod Touch will work also.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 7:52 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

OK after my initial impulse buy I got to thinking.

Since my main objective on this cash outlay was to get Stereo XM I needed to have the device to do that.

Well I called and have to say this company is just super. Dempsey was very understanding and patient with me as I explained what I was trying to achieve.

So I went with the 200 and a WiRevo D1000V as a bundle.

No problem on refunding the difference of my papal and said I will have it Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Only because he was expecting a shipment of WiRevo D1000V on Friday. Now he did offer to send my 200 right out but since I had made enough mistakes hurrying on a decision, and messing up my order I told him just wait until he had both and send them.

I strongly suggest anyone considering BT use the link I posted as I have a feeling they are, and will be second to none on service and support.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:51 am

Lee,

I was hoping to go entirely Bluetooth this year, but I decided to wait for the technology to mature a little bit. Perhaps 2009 will be "the year". Like yourself, I have a 2820 as well. I would be very interested and EXTREMELY appreciative of a full report (including pics) of your setup once you're complete ... and satisfied with the results.

I got my fingers crossed for ya.
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Lee,

I was hoping to go entirely Bluetooth this year, but I decided to wait for the technology to mature a little bit. Perhaps 2009 will be "the year". Like yourself, I have a 2820 as well. I would be very interested and EXTREMELY appreciative of a full report (including pics) of your setup once you're complete ... and satisfied with the results.

I will for sure. I am sure the Mods will move this to GPS so when I get it I will snap pics and continue this thread.

I am very confident this is going to work well. I have a Stereo Platronics 855 Bluetooth I use with my AT&T 8525. It works with the SD card or the Streaming on line, and the Stereo is just fantastic.

The Camos is BT V2.0 which is really important for me. I am sure you are going to see a growth in BT but it appears Camos has been in the game for awhile and that is important too.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Lee,

Same thinking - +1

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 6:05 am

You may be able to leave the ipod at home. Your Garmin 2820 has an MP3 player as well. I guess you'll have to convert itunes to make it work but maybe not..

I'm going to load some songs on my 2820 and see how it works.
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 7:36 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
You may be able to leave the ipod at home. Your Garmin 2820 has an MP3 player as well. I guess you'll have to convert itunes to make it work but maybe not..

I'm going to load some songs on my 2820 and see how it works.
I have most of the Eastern States from East of the Mississippi, Key West to Canada loaded on the Garmin so little room for songs. I run all my music at 320 KBS so they are very large files. Besides the 8 gig Touch is pretty cool. Also the XM is cool but not sure I will pay for it once my year is out. I needed to try it though. Just not sure it is worth it to me with having the Touch. Heck havent put a CD in the player in 9 months.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:46 pm

I have a Garvin 550 Zumo with bluetooth, the BMW model actually . It runs my sound to my bluetooth headset . It also has a flash card to hold as many MP3's as you want and it holds all the phone info in my cell phone automatically. I can't image a more intuitive unit than the Zumo but what do I know.

That said , I would like to find a better sound quality headset for the music part of the system. It does the phone and the Zumo directions just dandy but the music leaves a LOT to be desired. The headphone go in my existing helmet and are not apparently very sophisticated music wise.

I can live with it for now till something better comes along but I don't listen to much music anyway. Mostly just talk on the phone .

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 4:08 pm

I have a digital Starcom I intend to hook up to the 2820. I would really like to try a pair of Etymotics ER6i in ear plug speakers. Those that use this type of speakers say they're far and above better than any helmet installed speakers. You can get a pair for less than 100.00 on flea bay..
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
You may be able to leave the ipod at home. Your Garmin 2820 has an MP3 player as well.
The 2820 only has approx. 1 gig of memory for songs. I do have some of my 'must have' stuff in there ... but that's it. That won't replace the iPod ... not by a long shot.

As for XM, I said for a long time that I would never pay for music on a monthly basis. Yet here I am, an XM subscriber and liking it.
post #14 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

OK I got the package on Tuesday as promised.

I just got around to plotting and planning and starting the install.

I used my "old" Nolan that is my "Winter" helmet.

I just looked at the helmet and tried to figure out how the lining came out. It was pretty easy once I saw it out.

I used a bit of Tide in the sink, washed it and the cheek pads gently, let it soak, then rinsed very well in cool water. Laid them on the towel to dry.

Here is what the unit looks like on the side. Now it offers a surface mount and a clip type mount, reminds me of a money clip. I was "donating" the Nolan to this project so I opted for the clip, and cutting the lower trim a bit. Just me liking that mounting choice and willing to cut on my helmet.

Cutting the Styrofoam was pretty easy. Marked it and used an Xacto knife to cut out the depth best I could. I used a lot of slice and dice in the marked area and it came out fine. I figured as long as I was flush to the original Styrofoam shell I should be good to go. I used two pieces of Velcro on the indentations I made to hold the speakers, as they are in a Velcro sleeve.

After the liner dries I will fit it to see how the wires need to run to not interfere with the way they interlock. Will fit the mic also.

Not too bad so far and will update as I go. I have to get er done as our Indian Summer is going tits up in the next day or two.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Oct 15th, 2008 at 10:42 pm.
post #15 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 7:09 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I was sick yesterday and today but did fool with the Blue Tooth a bit.

I found that painters tape sticks very nicely to Styrofoam. I bundled the excess wires in the area you see as the cheek pad sits on that ledge so no lumps will be felt.

I ran the the outside wiring through another "break" in the helmet liner as seen here.

I made every thing work as I wanted to a point. The biggest let down as described by others before me, VOLUME. There is none.

So I ordered a http://www.mixitproducts.com/ Mix-IT2. Not what I planned on doing but in for a penny in for a pound kind of thing.

I do like all the equipment so far and while not what I expected volume wise it will be nice once it is all done. I guess in the scheme of things it is cheaper then a new radio so when that goes I still am OK. It does free you from wires and the stock stereo so a good thing for sure.

After I get this last piece I will snap pics of the final setup and really have a trial run of it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:37 am

Question Re: Stereo Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I was sick yesterday and today but did fool with the Blue Tooth a bit.

I found that painters tape sticks very nicely to Styrofoam. I bundled the excess wires in the area you see as the cheek pad sits on that ledge so no lumps will be felt.

I ran the the outside wiring through another "break" in the helmet liner as seen here.

I made every thing work as I wanted to a point. The biggest let down as described by others before me, VOLUME. There is none.

So I ordered a http://www.mixitproducts.com/ Mix-IT2. Not what I planned on doing but in for a penny in for a pound kind of thing.

I do like all the equipment so far and while not what I expected volume wise it will be nice once it is all done. I guess in the scheme of things it is cheaper then a new radio so when that goes I still am OK. It does free you from wires and the stock stereo so a good thing for sure.

After I get this last piece I will snap pics of the final setup and really have a trial run of it.

Just wondering, where will you be putting the mix-it, on the helmet? Or on the bike before the bluetooth transmitter?

Just Bob.
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Just wondering, where will you be putting the mix-it, on the helmet? Or on the bike before the bluetooth transmitter?

Just Bob.
I think it will live in the Oddments box.

Since the 1/8" plug from the Garmin 2820 runs to there and plugs into the Aux on the CD. I will be able to hook the I-Pod and the Garmin into the mixit and hang the wiRevo off the headphone port off the mixit. Since it says you don't need to have the Wirevo in sight line for it to work it should work out pretty clean.

Only issue I have is will the mixit and the I-pod touch fit in the oddments box?

I guess I will see.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 8:19 am

Just bumped into this thread and wanted to add a few things from my setup.
As well, I have a G2820 with XM and Weather, a CAMOS BTS-300 (went with that option due to the BT range), a MixIT-2 amp for the Bike (from John Brown) and the WiREVO D1000v
The hookup was easy to do, but there were a few "don'ts" that you may want to be aware.
1- The CAMOS will have to be paired with the WiREVO and NOT with the Garmin
2- WiREVO paired to the Garmin 2820 and to the CAMOS
3- WiREVO mic, plugged to the mic out on the Garmin 2820
4- WiREVO Audio plugged to the audio in on the MixIT 2
5- 2820 Audio out to the Stereo in on the MixIT 2
6- Pair Cellphone (with BT) to the Garmin 2820

Wire the MixIT 2 directly to the Bike 12v
Now you should hear XM in all his Stereo Glory! (As Larry said to me when he helped me out..)

If you have any questions, post a reply and I will try to help if you need..
There are other parts you will need like a couple of adapters and extension cables..(2.5mm amle to 3.5mm female, etc) you can lfind them for $5 at amazon from the cable store.. Let me know if you need the links.

Hope it helps and it is not to late.!
Regards and good rides!

Daniel-
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 9:54 am

Hey guys I have rigged a lot of comm systems and bluetooth is not up to the task, you are going to spend a lot of money and the things will just not work on a bike. They have a hard time working in your car, how do you expect it to work with 30mph sidewinds noisy windshields etc. They do not stay paired, and then you have to have a unit velcroed to the side of your helmet. BLUETOOTH IS NOT UP TO THE TASK !!!!!!DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Neat setup. I have a Zumo 550, but no XM yet. I'm using the WiRevo and Camos 600's as well. Love it.

Has anyone switched from the older Camos stuff to the new 200's? I'm wondering if it would be worth the upgrade.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the Stereo on a 2002 LT wired into one of the Mixit boxes. I'd like to be able to route the radio to my Bluetooth as well.

Thanks.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #21 of 21 Old Dec 6th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Any updates on this thread? How is the volume?

I have a Zumo 550 on order, and now I'm trying to figure out what else I need to get cellphone and music in my helmet. The Bluetooth setup described here sounds pretty good, other than the volume problem (once you add in the cost of the Mixit, things are getting pricey). Did the Mixit solve the volume problem?

My alternate plan is to go with a Starcom wired setup, though that route probably has some gotchas of its own.

-Brett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in