NavII power connector problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

NavII power connector problem

One of the contacts on the slide-on plug has broken - the lowest one that appears to supply power to the unit. It started to turn itself off when we went over a rough patch of road and then became increasingly awkward to get started at all without wriggling the plug about. As the mains adapter worked fine it had to be on the bike and I traced it to this connector. I've bodged it to work for the time being but it's a lash-up and won't last.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

With my bike being an LT it has the factory kit fitted so the lead disappears into the Tupperware via the stingray, meaning replacement is not straightforward. A couple of ideas come to mind:
  1. take the front off the plug and fit a new contactor
  2. buy a new accessory-soket lead and splice its plug onto my wiring
Any thoughts, folks?

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:16 pm

Re: NavII power connector problem

I don't think that cable is that hard to get to. Just remove the left side tupperware pull on the cable going into the stingray to find out which one.
Disconnect and reconnect. Not sure about the cost. Since it's BMW it could be high.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
I don't think that cable is that hard to get to. Just remove the left side tupperware pull on the cable going into the stingray to find out which one. Disconnect and reconnect.
That's useful to know. Cheers.

Quote:
Not sure about the cost. Since it's BMW it could be high.
Could? COULD?

Keith

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:48 pm

If I am not mistaken, the cord end you are having trouble with is part of an entire molded wiring harness with several pieces, the number of pieces depending upon whether or not you have VOICE system or not. I guess you could get the end you need somewhere and splice it in, but for my money I would get the cord from a dealer and plug-n-play it, at premium price of course. You can find one here for example.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:57 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Keith,

Figure $60 to $100 U.S. for the cable and a couple of hours to pull the left side "tupperware" to replace. If yours is a European '04 then, for the U.S. it might be the '05 model so there could be some differences.

While the cable is the same the path it takes might be bit different. I doubt it is very complicated to follow the path once you get the left side "tupperware" off the bike.

Good luck.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 6 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 1:38 am Thread Starter

My dealer - Pidcock BMW at Long Eaton, near Nottingham - is a good place and I have a decent relationship with the spares and service guys so I've got no doubts they'll get me a new cable if they're available. I was just hoping I could avoid the BMW premium. I'll need to visit them before long anyway so I'll pass a few more of my beer-tokens across their counter.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in