Zumo 550 to VOICE2: Solutions that work - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 to VOICE2: Solutions that work

I have read lots of posts and information about connecting the Zumo 550 to the VOICE2 com system. No one post seems to tie it together, so here is my attempt. First, let me tell you NO solution is perfect with this combination of equipment. The VOICE2 did not envision a microphone and stereo input on the same connector. Here are the workarounds and shortcomings in a nutshell:

1) If you want to use the Zumo 550 with a cell phone via the bluetooth feature, you must connect it to the "phone" plug on the VOICE2. The downside is that if you use XM, it will be in mono. No way around this. That is all the jack supports and you need to have a microphone plug as well. If you dont use XM, this is also the best solution because the intercom does not cut out the audio as the VOICE2 supports the a 'conference' of the rider and passenger talking on the phone. The nav directions will come through even when talking with the passenger and you get at least XM in mono. You may need to set an option on the VOICE2 to allow the conferencing. As an added advantage, it will allow your passenger to join in the phone call. When plugged in this way it overrides the audio system on the bike as the cell phone connector has priority. If you are spending the bucks for XM, you probably want to listen to that anyway. This will also override the FRS radio connector as the cell phone has a higher priority... in other words, the FRS will not work since the cell phone connector will always have a signal coming in. I don't see any way to change the priority.

2) If you use the Zumo for XM, MP3s and nav, but not the phone, you dont need a microphone, so you can use the AUX plug on the VOICE2. This will give you the music sources in stereo. The downside to this is that the Intercom with a passenger will override the music AND nav instructions. If you don't have passengers AND don't use the cell phone, this is the best choice for you.

You may need to make this cable yourself though..
Cable specs:

Cable for option #1
It needs to have a 3.5mm stereo jack and 2.5mm microphone jack merged into 1 cable that has a 2.5mm 3 pin headset jack at the VOICE2 end.

Headphone jack - A stereo plug has 3 rings - starting with the outermost - Ring 1 is left channel, ring 2 is right channel and ring 3 is ground. Make or cut an existing cable with ring 1 & 2 wires joined. This will make your 3 wire cable into 2.

Microphone - 2.5mm - 2 rings - outermost, ring 1 is mike input, and ring 2 is ground.

Join your grounds together and on the VOICE2 connector - 2.5 mm 3 ring connector, Make outermost pin 1 the microphone, pin2 the audio and pin 3 the ground.

Cable for option # 2 is a standard 3.5 mm stereo cable available anywhere.

The only way to get everything to work as intended is to change comm systems.. the VOICE2 is too inflexible.

Brownlow Mullins
Laurel, Maryland
Retired Police Officer
Accident Reconstructionist

2005 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Re: Zumo 550 to VOICE2: Solutions that work

I have found yet another combination that works best of all - and is simple to hook up with off the shelf cables.

Option #3
Plug the Zumo 550 into the AUX plug. Make sure the bluetooth is set up with the phone. Plug the phone into the phone plug on the VOICE2. DONE

What I have found is that the Zumo can completely handle the phone, but once a call is initiated or answered, the audio comes out the headset port instead over bluetooth (at least on my phone). The phone has to remain in the oddaments compartment, but you can make and receive calls on the Zumo and the audio comes through the headset at the highest priority. It is still not perfect - I believe FRS should have the highest priority because a buddy could be trying to give out a warning, but, at least everything works and I get stereo XM. A word of warning - Nav prompts for turns don't come through when you are on the phone or are receiving FRS radio messages. The priorities are not the greatest on the VOICE2 and cant be changed - at least I cant figure out how..

This is the best solution of all.

Cables needed: 3.5mm male to male for Zumo to AUX. A cable from your phone plug (they differ, but most are 3 ring 3.5mm - consult your manual) to the 3 ring 2.5mm Headset/phone port on the VOICE2.

Brownlow Mullins
Laurel, Maryland
Retired Police Officer
Accident Reconstructionist

2005 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in