Zumo Security Screw - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Zumo Security Screw

As Zumo users know, in order to firmly secure the Zumo to the bike, you have to screw it into the mount using a special tool. Some people have suggested to replace the this silly screw with something else to make removing the Zumo while out and about a little easier.

I'm sure this can be found elsewhere, but this guy Kevin from the ST Owners forums is selling them for $7.50 including shipping. He sounds like a good guy. I ordered three and they should be here by the end of the week.

Here is a pic of the replacement screw:

CLICKY CLICKY

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:34 pm

Re: Zumo Security Screw

Doesn't that kill the security aspect of the screw?
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 3:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider
Yeah, so what. I have them on my GPS (2x20 series) as well. I'm not foolish enough to leave my GPS on an unattened motorcycle either as anyone that wants it can just rip it off the mount without too much trouble anyway.

I bought mine direct from the manufacturer at:

http://www.boelis.nl/index_bestanden...ityscrewEN.htm

as I didn't know anyone selling them locally.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider
Security bits and/or tools can be bought at just about any hardware store in the country. So much for "security". If someone really wants your GPS and you're dumb enough to leave it unattended ... it's GONE.
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 1:33 pm

I bought those replacement screws. Very handy. It takes no time to put the GPS in your pocket.

I'm also thinking of replacing the wing nut on the GPS mount with a regular nut, just to make it a tad more difficult for someone to remove the mount. Currently, they could loosen it and cut the antenna wire and be off with my XM puck. Not a real advance in security, but just a step to make it a little more difficult.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:23 pm

I'm relatively to the GPS 'thing', so maybe I'm missing something.

If you are are going to unclamp the GPS and take it with you or lock it up, why use the security screw at all? Is the security screw only intended to be used to 'secure' the GPS to the mount, or is it required to (literally) secure the GPS to the mount while underway? It's certainly too inconvenient to use on a regular basis as an anti-theft device. I've never used mine.

Let me know what I'm missing here...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

It's meant to secure the Zumo to the mount so that the mount doesn't accidently pop open.

It's not meant to make it theft proof. But, in the event you hit a pot hole or a hard bump, the clamp has a backup.

Otherwise, your $600 GPS will go bouncy bouncy on the tarmac. NOT NICE!!!!

You can simply use Garmin's security screw. It will do the same thing. But, if you want to secure the GPS in the trunk or take it with you, you have use that silly little tool. With this knob, it renders this tool irrelevant.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
You can simply use Garmin's security screw. It will do the same thing. But, if you want to secure the GPS in the trunk or take it with you, you have use that silly little tool. With this knob, it renders this tool irrelevant.
Yep, and let's not forget that the Garmin tool has a tendency to drop part of it right down the steering assembly when trying to remove the screw. How do I know this? When I bought my LT the salesman was showing me how to use the tool and he dropped the cover right in the motorcycle. It's still there as far as I know. Seems anything that falls in to the LT's internals stays there.

When I took off all the plastic, I still oculdn't find it. Or a couple of scres/bolts I dropped under the seat. I don't know where they went as they did not fall out on my driveway. I've always wondered if they fell out on thehighway. Or just in to the LT black hole.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
It's meant to secure the Zumo to the mount so that the mount doesn't accidently pop open.

It's not meant to make it theft proof. But, in the event you hit a pot hole or a hard bump, the clamp has a backup.

Otherwise, your $600 GPS will go bouncy bouncy on the tarmac. NOT NICE!!!!

Perfect, just what I need to know. Thanks, Rob.

I didn't consider that the clamp might pop open while going down the road. I'll be getting me one of the replacement-type screws.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Hey Howard

Glad to see you posting, so tell us, how do you like the ZUMO? I'm still holding out, or is it the fact that I have this great LARGE PRINT ROAD ATLAS THAT IS EASY TO READ.

Glen
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hey Howard

Glad to see you posting, so tell us, how do you like the ZUMO? I'm still holding out, or is it the fact that I have this great LARGE PRINT ROAD ATLAS THAT IS EASY TO READ.

Glen
Hi Glen,

Did I go somewhere?

I like the Zumo. Use it all the time on the bike, and if we're not on the bike I transfer it to the car. The car mount included with the Zumo 550 makes that easy. It is very, very useful when you're on the road looking for a hotel or need gas ASAP.

I think the Garmin 376/476 models have some advantages over the Zumo, but they're all good!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Bouncer

Just ordered one of these replacement screws.

I just used the Zumo 550 for the trip to/from CCR. At first, I didn't like it as much as my 2720. But after a while, I got used to the quirks, and a few limitations. The advancements in the 550 blow the 2720 away, but it did take a few days to adjust.

I miss the map that shows what satellites are locked and the signal status page.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in