Garmin 2610 Acquiring Satellites problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2610 Acquiring Satellites problem?

I am a noob to GPS's and bought a refurbished 2610 that came to me looking like new. I haven't used it on my bike, choosing to use it in my car so I can get to know it better.

I used it this weekend going from Chippewa Falls WI to Madison WI (175 miles) on Friday and back today, via Interstate 94. On the way down I had satellite contact for the first 50 miles, the next 60 miles I lost satellite and the final 60 miles it was intermittent; loosing satellite for no apparent reason.

On the way home today I could not get contact in Madison and for the first 20 miles out of town on I 94. At 20 miles out, I acquired satellites and had contact for the next 155 miles with 4 episodes of "lost satellite" that lasted maybe 2 minutes.

What is up with this? Is this a bad unit, or operator error? Any suggestions or information would be helpful.

I have taken 3 other trips to the Twin Cities (100 miles) and had the same kind of experiences with long gaps in contact and the GPS seaching for long periods of time for a satellite...sometimes 20 to 30 minutes.

Thanks...

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 4:10 pm

Re: Garmin 2610 Acquiring Satellites problem?

Do you know if your car/truck has a metallic-embedded windshield, or not? If it does, the GPS won't see the satellites. I have to use an external antenna when driving my wife's Buick Rendezvous. To test, simply hold the GPS outside the passenger window and see if you get a signal. There is a screen (GPS Info) that displays the location of the satellites and your signal strength to each one. Refer to that screen and see what it tells you.

If you need an external antenna, they're about $30. Get the one made by Glisson.

HTH
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:56 pm

Mine's dropped the satellite signal, too - right in the big middle of Austin. I was on the bike, so I didn't have a metal roof to contend with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Do you know if your car/truck has a metallic-embedded windshield, or not? If it does, the GPS won't see the satellites. I have to use an external antenna when driving my wife's Buick Rendezvous. To test, simply hold the GPS outside the passenger window and see if you get a signal. There is a screen (GPS Info) that displays the location of the satellites and your signal strength to each one. Refer to that screen and see what it tells you.

If you need an external antenna, they're about $30. Get the one made by Glisson.

HTH

That was it...

I looked at the manual numerous times and never mentioned problems with embedded windshields. This has been bugging me for a few months..shoulda posted here earlier!! Time for an external antenna..Thanks Joe....

Nordo
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Why get the one made by Glisson? I saw some on ebay from PerfectSell and others for 10 bucks. How is the Gllisson antenna different? Better quality?
Thanks..

Todd
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:34 am

I have my 2610 mounted on a BMR shelf and had problems with reception. I met another rider one time who had his similarly mounted, but with an external ant attached to the sun visor on it. He told me that the internal ant on the 2610 doesn't pick up as well as some of the older models that had the small external ant. so he added the external one. I did the same and have seen a noticeable improvement in reception.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:08 am Thread Starter

I was wondering if I would have the same problem with it mounted on my LT, as I have not done that yet.

Another question I had about the antenna is whether it needs to be mounted on the outside of the car or can I just get a 3 footer and leave it up on the dash? I have read where it improves intermittent problems with the antenna just laying on the dash. I suppose you won't know until I get it and see.
I have a 2000 Chevy Venture and a 99 Ford F 150 and I had the same problems with both vehicles. Maybe get a 3 footer for the bike and 9 footer for the car.

Thanks for the responses...

Todd
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo
Why get the one made by Glisson? I saw some on ebay from PerfectSell and others for 10 bucks. How is the Gllisson antenna different? Better quality?
Garmin recommends the one by Glisson. Call these guys (The GPS Store) and they'll hook you up.
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:43 am

Quote:
I was wondering if I would have the same problem with it mounted on my LT, as I have not done that yet.
I never had a problem with my old 2610 on my LT, but I did on my Ninja. The difference? I tried using the RAM mount cradle on my Ninja and it seemed to block the signal somewhat. I changed it out with the Garmin motorcycle mount and the issues went away.

I only use the external antenna in my wife's Buick. But man! The accuracy is amazing. The Glisson external antenna sees those satellites way mo' better than the internal one does.

FWIW, I've had the same experience with my 2610, 2720, and my current 2820. Next year I'll be updating to the Zumo 550.
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:10 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I just bought the BMR sun shade for my 2720 and started having trouble picking up signal. I went back to Brett @ BMR and was told (after the fact) that "ANY" metal can block the internal antenna and you "HAVE" to use an external antenna.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe.....I will order one this week.

I appreciate the time and info..

Todd
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Hi,

I had the same problem with a 2820. It would drive me crazy. I upgraded the firmware to the unit and it is 100% better. You might try and see if there is a newer firmware available and try it.

Also the external antenna can be a good thing to try.

Glenn
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Bouncer

+1 on the firmware. My 2720 was doing the same thing. When I emailed Garmin Tech Support, the recommended a firmware upgrade. It fixed the problem.

It seems that the almanac in the older firmware has errors and causes the unit to not lock onto the satellites.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 9:59 am Thread Starter

I got the antenna and from what I can see on my 2610 there is no place to plug the antenna in.. What the hell am I missing here?

On the back is just screw holes and a clear plastic grommet (upper left near midline) covering something. I tried to remove it and it won't budge.

Where the hell do ya plug this thing in? I feel like a moron!!

Thanks.

Nordo
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:08 am
Bouncer

Did you do a firmware upgrade?

That fixed my satellite acquisition issue on my 2720.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:11 am Thread Starter

sheeshhhhhhh.....I found the plug in. Jeez, if it had been anymore obvious it would have jumped out and bit me. Not enough java yet this morning..

No, I have not done any upgrades..will check to see how this antenna works first..
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

WOW, what a difference with the external antenna! Worked fast and never cut out!!

Thanks for the help...

Nordo
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Quote:
WOW, what a difference with the external antenna! Worked fast and never cut out!!

Thanks for the help...
Ya see! Once-in-awhile I know what I'm talking about.
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
FWIW, I've had the same experience with my 2610, 2720, and my current 2820. Next year I'll be updating to the Zumo 550.
Maybe next year I'll take your 2820 and buy you pancakes.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Thumbs up Re: Garmin 2610 Acquiring Satellites problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Maybe next year I'll take your 2820 and buy you pancakes.
Cool!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in