BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Screen Comments 26xx vs. SPIII

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bob_menton 
#1 ·
Hi All;

Lots of new forums here compared to the old site..... Anyhow I am looking for comments from those of you who have used both the SPIII and the 26xx series in regards to the readability of the screen. I am considering an upgrade to the 2620 and I can see that the screen is virtually the same size and the same resolution (identical number of pixels) as the SPIII, is the screen to be considered an improvement, or is it simply faster routing and recalc times?

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve Collier
'01 KLT

#2 ·
Personally, I think the difference is just faster recalulate times. I have the 2610 and it will recalulate almost instantly, where the SP-3 would take at least 30 seconds (depending on the maps loaded). Also, with the 2610, you can purchase the 2meg card and never have to worry about loading maps again.

#3 ·
Hello Steve,

I agree with Mike, recalc time is a big improvement. Screen quality is maybe a bit less under sun-conditions but not that much (and you can get a sun-visor).

Other features of the 26xx series like personal settings for the type of road you want to drive on, avoidances of roads and area's are also very nice to have.

One small remark, the 2620 works with an internal disk, this could cause problems on a motorcycle. I think you would be safer with a 2610 with 2 Gb cf-card to get the same effect (all maps loaded at once).

I'm not sure anybody really had a problem with the 2620 disk, but I saw several warning on that item.

Did you look at the new series 2720? With the 3-d view,Text-To-Speech and Optional Traffic Capability ...
Just curious.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the screen detail is much the same as the SPIII.

I looked at the 2720 but decided to stay at the older generation due to the price difference to a refurbed 2620. Garmin tech support seems to feel the micro drive wil not be an issue on "Gold Wing" or similar motorcycles - re. vibration failures. The 2620 is also priced attractively compared to the 2610 (plus a 2 Gig flash card) - haven't made a final decision yet. The most important info was if the 26xx screen was a sufficent improvement over the SPIII, I know the 2720 screen is excellent.

Steve Collier
'01 KLT

#5 · (Edited)
The screen on the 2720 is really nice. It's worlds better than the SPIII in direct sunlight.

#6 ·
HammerStar said:
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the screen detail is much the same as the SPIII.

I looked at the 2720 but decided to stay at the older generation due to the price difference to a refurbed 2620. Garmin tech support seems to feel the micro drive wil not be an issue on "Gold Wing" or similar motorcycles - re. vibration failures. The 2620 is also priced attractively compared to the 2610 (plus a 2 Gig flash card) - haven't made a final decision yet. The most important info was if the 26xx screen was a sufficent improvement over the SPIII, I know the 2720 screen is excellent.

Steve Collier
'01 KLT
Also, check to see if the 2620 comes with the MapSource computer software. My brother-in-law bought one several months ago, and MapSource was NOT included. More recently, some posters here have said that they got MapSource with their 2620. Laying out complicated routes is much easier on the computer in MapSource than doing it on the 2620 itself.

- Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.