GPS wire routing and connection point question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

GPS wire routing and connection point question

I apologize for asking a question for which I'm sure the answer could be found on the site if I spent more time looking and less time wondering out loud, but . . .

I just acquired a used Garmin 2610 in advance of heading out to CCR and am going to try and wire it up this evening. I ended up purchasing the ram mount cover for the clutch reservoir, instead of the shelf solution. So my question is:
What's the best connection point and wire routing?
Is it through the handlebars and up to the map lamp? Since my map light has never worked (I assume the bulb is burned out, but never saw any point in fixing it) is this a continuously hot feed or is it just powered when the bike is on or in acc position? If this route is there a way to hide the wire from the handlebars to the map light or just have it dangle in front of the panel?
Is is down the handlebars and to the battery terminals for a continuous hot feed?
Is it best from the battery through stingray and out that storage compartment and over to the unit (with enough slack for turning) so when it is not in use I can just coil up the end piece and place it in the storage compartment?
Or something entirely different?

Suggestions welcome. I'm suspecting whatever I rig together tonight will get redone when I get back from CCR, but ran out of time to plan and execute properly.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Re: GPS wire routing and connection point question

I'd be VERY cautious about having a wire running from some fixed point to the handlebar, no matter how much slack you include: sounds like it would be begging to inadvertantly get caught on something and jerk the bars around. That wouldn't be pretty if you were moving at the time!

Why not adapt the power cord to a powerlet, put the GPS in your tankbag (or strap it down on top of the glove compartment) and plug it into the left lower powerlet outlet? Fast, and easy now, and easy to undo for a more permanent installation later.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 1:26 am

Re: GPS wire routing and connection point question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
Is it through the handlebars and up to the map lamp? Since my map light has never worked (I assume the bulb is burned out, but never saw any point in fixing it) is this a continuously hot feed or is it just powered when the bike is on or in acc position? If this route is there a way to hide the wire from the handlebars to the map light or just have it dangle in front of the panel?
I used this method for my Smarttire monitor. Works great. I followed the same path as all the other wires in the left side handlebar cover. Then snaked it straight accross to the fairing area and up tot he map light. There are actually two hot wires. Both will turn off when the key is in the lock position. One works in On position only. One in the R (next to on) position and ON. I used that one to power mine so I could check it with the motor off.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in