Garmin Update - Frustrated - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Garmin Update - Frustrated

I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Garmin Update - Frustrated

Mike,

I don't remember if I received the same message when I loaded City Navigator NT 2009 on my 2720. There were a couple of funny messages but I just clicked OK and she loaded right up (it took an awful long time). You may just give her a try if she'll let you.

I did have trouble loading the maps on my other computers and Garmin was not much help. I was using the main home computer (only one with a DVD) and trying to share the drive over the network. It would always load up the starting screens but there would be no data to "select". Finally found if I went into the DVD and opened the /windows/msi folder and ran the file "CNNANT2009Update_ENU" it would load the maps on my other computers.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mser
I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I hear you the Garmin update process can be confusing. I beleive you are installing the City Navigator 2009 Update to your Mapsource program on your computer first. From there then you load maps into your GPS.
I recently had similar problems and after 3 hrs on the phone to Garmin, I found out that I needed to update Mapsource first. It should be Version 6.14.1 if not then you need to update it first. That is done from the HELP button on the Mapsource menu & 'Check for Software Updates'.
You should check the amount of free space you have on the drive you have Mapsource installed. My install is using 1.6GB & I am only using V7 of City Maps.
If after this your install of City Navigator Maps 2009 go ok you now manage unlock from Mapsource 'Utilities' & 'Manage Map Products'

Hope this helps

Phil

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Garmin Update - Frustrated

I installed the 6.14.1 version of Mapsource onto my laptop and got the City Navigator update installed and unlocked also. But I still can't install the update onto the GPS unit. I get a message telling me there's not enough space and something about disabling or deleting supplemental maps. I went into the unit and disabled all maps. The update still won't download and continues to show the same message about not enough space. I don't have a clue as to how you'd go about deleting maps.

Mike

Last edited by mser; Aug 2nd, 2008 at 10:12 pm.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:29 pm

If you Garmin has a removable card, try taking he card out, and format the card either in a computer or a digital camera. That will free up all space. Then try installing the maps. If you don't have a removable card, you've wasted 30 seconds!
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:29 pm

The problem is that you have too many City Navigator maps on your PC. Since you have already loaded and unlocked 2009 you need to remove all the other maps except for your original map and the 2009 map. You do this by going to Start, then Control Panel, then add/remove programs. scroll down and remove all but the first map and the 2009 map. Then it will load very easily on a 2GB card. Once it's loaded onto the card go into the Nav II maps section and select only 2009. Good luck.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:45 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mser
I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. ....... I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) ..... Anybody got any pointers or advice?
Howdy Mike,

First, call Garmin technical support. They've always been very helpful to me with issues.

The Nav II is an older unit and is upgradeable to 1GB of storage. That is about 4 times the storage that the base unit came with.

The issue is that on the prior map releases you updated Mapsource first and then transferred as much, or as little, detail as you wanted to the GPS.

With the Nav III 2009 update, you update both Mapsource and the GPS with all of the detail maps at the same time....hence the message about lack of capacity.

I'm not sure that Nav II will accept the 2009 maps, but Garmin tech should be able to help.

Best of luck.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Mike,

First, call Garmin technical support. They've always been very helpful to me with issues.

The Nav II is an older unit and is upgradeable to 1GB of storage. That is about 4 times the storage that the base unit came with.

The issue is that on the prior map releases you updated Mapsource first and then transferred as much, or as little, detail as you wanted to the GPS.

With the Nav III 2009 update, you update both Mapsource and the GPS with all of the detail maps at the same time....hence the message about lack of capacity.

I'm not sure that Nav II will accept the 2009 maps, but Garmin tech should be able to help.

Best of luck.
I have the Navigator II with a 2GB card and it works fine. It is not limited to 1GB. On this 2GB card I have loaded City Navigator version 5 (my original version) and City Navigator 2009 with all detail. I have selected all states including Canada and Alaska with room to spare. You cannot load the Nav III update on the Nav II because the Nav III is a NT version. It will tell you when you try to load that it is not compatable. The problem is simply trying to load too many versions. Been there done that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in